Candyman (2020) | Inside Universal Forums

Candyman (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
In hindsight, even if CV had never happened, it's easy to see why this was never on the docket for HHN. And if it had been, I'm pretty sure it would've been scrapped after the events of the last two weeks.

I think the most aggressive timelines for a vaccine right now are pegging it to October, so I think it'll ultimately move to January 29 (February probably wouldve been ideal but Eternals owns most of that real estate. If Ghostbusters moves back due to pressure from Raya, however, then they'll have a great release date on Feb. 26)

Last edited:
I thought a $20 mil opening weekend for Tenet was triumphant all things considered. What were they expecting?

I thought a $20 mil opening weekend for Tenet was triumphant all things considered. What were they expecting?
They were probably hoping for something closer to a “normal” opening. Roughly 80% of theaters were “open” for Tenet. Considering big budget tentpoles like Tenet typically open with $80m-$100m opening weekends, they were likely expecting (wanting) $40M-$50m. Naively hopeful, sure, but that naive hopefulness is why it was released in the first place.

At this point, can we just agree that VoD is the future? Like, I hate that VoD doesn't require as many jobs but theatres are simply not practical for this new reality.

Reactions: RevFreako
They were probably hoping for something closer to a “normal” opening. Roughly 80% of theaters were “open” for Tenet. Considering big budget tentpoles like Tenet typically open with $80m-$100m opening weekends, they were likely expecting (wanting) $40M-$50m. Naively hopeful, sure, but that naive hopefulness is why it was released in the first place.
It also doesn't help that the 20M was spread over 10 days; Deadline says the holiday weekend itself was only 12M.

At this point, can we just agree that VoD is the future? Like, I hate that VoD doesn't require as many jobs but theatres are simply not practical for this new reality.
Theaters will live. PVOD will probably become a bit more frequent for smaller releases, but there's good reasons why studios have only put a handful of titles on PVOD during the pandemic. The theatrical model still has tons of viability for profit. People miss the theatrical experience but rightfully aren't risking COVID for it.

Candyman has been pushed back to August 27, 2021.

I think having Universal as part of the team with this movie will help keep it in theaters since it only has a 17 day window for VOD release with AMC. That puts it to mid-September, which makes it a prime candidate for people to buy it at home and watch it for spooky season.

Reactions: SeventyOne

Candyman has been pushed back to August 27, 2021.

I think having Universal as part of the team with this movie will help keep it in theaters since it only has a 17 day window for VOD release with AMC. That puts it to mid-September, which makes it a prime candidate for people to buy it at home and watch it for spooky season.
And, as @SeventyOne mentioned elsewhere, a ready-made Uni property for HHN, maybe.