CityWalk Waterfront Redesign | Inside Universal Forums

CityWalk Waterfront Redesign

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

JungleSkip

V.I.P. Member
Feb 15, 2010
The Mushroom Kingdom
ParkRumors has a post today detailing an upcoming redesign to the waterfront area of CityWalk, which will include decks and seating, as well as some rumored new stores and eateries.
Looks seriously awesome!:thumbs:

Hmmm... I wonder what prompted parkrumors to view the page source of universalorlando.com's 2012 promo page. That is a really 'out there' thing to do.

I don't know how, but there were clues. I found a permit last week for decking in City Walk, people here have taken pictures of the work that has already commenced in the area, and when the "Year to be Here" was announced City Walk additions were rumored or alluded to.

I won't complain.

I can't help but grin evilly that Universal is managing to do the very thing that Disney has struggled to do for 4 years now.:ears:

I don't know how, but there were clues. I found a permit last week for decking in City Walk, people here have taken pictures of the work that has already commenced in the area, and when the "Year to be Here" was announced City Walk additions were rumored or alluded to.

The website from Universal that leaked the night before the "Year to Be Here"announcement included more for City Walk but it was cut.

I suppose they decided to save the announcement of this for next year as it likely won't be done this year.

Makes sense. Plus it gives them something, no matter how small, to talk about for 2013.

I just wonder what else is coming to City Walk. As it stands, this doesn't make a whole lot of sense without other additions.

I cannot figure out what compelled to do this. I am not saying that it shouldn't be done but that I cannot figure out what made Universal to feel it was necessary. So I am asking someone to offer to me what Citywalk was missing in order for this to be a necessary solution. Teebin doesn't get it.

Last edited:
I cannot figure out what compelled to do this. I am not saying that it shouldn't be done but that I cannot figure out what made Universal to feel it was necessary. So I am asking someone to offer to me what Citywalk was missing in order for this to be a necessary solution. Teebin doesn't get it.

I have to agree. Which is why I think this is step 1 of a massive change in CityWalk

I'm also baffled by the idea of these decks. Looking at the concept art, there's chairs and tables, and people drinking. Maybe they're going to put bars out here? There's also a boat in the background, and it doesn't look like the water taxis that take you to the resorts. This is all pretty weird :shrug:

I should have specified; shelve the announcement.

I also wonder if this expansion, remodeling thing will include RockIt CityWalk hours.

I thought you might have meant that, but I figured that stuff belonged in this thread anyway.

--- Update ---

^ Funny how often we see stuff on this website and don't understand what we are seeing or how great the change is going to be.

Indeed. I found the deck permit and had no idea what it meant.

I'm also baffled by the idea of these decks. Looking at the concept art, there's chairs and tables, and people drinking. Maybe they're going to put bars out here? There's also a boat in the background, and it doesn't look like the water taxis that take you to the resorts. This is all pretty weird :shrug:

There will apparently be shops and dining/bars.

CityWalk has seen many gradual changes/additions over the past few years:

-Top of the Walk Food Court (BK Whopper Bar, Moe's Southwest Grill, Panda Express, & Fusion Bistro Sushi & Sake Bar)
-Fat Tuesday (beverage quick service)
-Churrascaria at Latin Quarter (Brazilian steakhouse)
-Element store
-CityWalk's Rising Star (karaoke club)
-The LED nighttime effect for the Cineplex's metal structure
-Updated Blue Man Group show
-Two new 18 hole mini-golf courses

I can only pray that this is part of a bigger, long-term plan to rejuvenate the resort as a whole. Best case scenario: they build a fourth on-site hotel and then expand the CityWalk lagoon for water-taxis!

There will apparently be shops and dining/bars.

I can honestly say that when I was thinking about the kinds of stores that could be coming to CityWalk, I definitely wasn't thinking of something that would go on a deck like these. I guess I'll have to wait and see what exactly (or what else apart from these decks) is coming. I'm intrigued though...

Perhaps they will cut vertically into the hillside and build shallow mini shops? I don't see the appeal. After thinking about it, this is right up there with the golf course. Monetize every square inch of green space in Citywalk. I suggest that these moves will bite them in the long run and sit idle most of the time in the future.