Coast to Coast HHN | Inside Universal Forums

Coast to Coast HHN

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Mar 1, 2013
Space Coast
Was just wondering if anybody was doing the event in orlando and hollywood this year? Or have done it in the past. Work has given gratefully given me a 10 day vacation and i was debating on maybe trying to do it this year, it has always been on my bucket list. Especially sense i never been west of Alabama. Possible itinerary would be:

Leave Friday night Sept 25th Atlanta to Los angeles

Stay Until Tuesday

Leave either Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning -Los angeles to orlando

Wednesday recoup day at Cabana.

Thursday- Saturday HHN

Back to Atlanta Saturday night or Sunday morning.

What you guys think? Tips, Ideas, suggestions?

Sounds like a great idea for a trip man. I went to Hollywood's event in 2013 and I really enjoyed it, it's different from our event in Orlando but still just as awesome. You may want to wait to see the line up for their event though, last year there was 1 house that we didn't have. We both had Walking Dead, AvP, FDTD, Dracula Untold, Face Off (they had maze, we had scarezone) and they had American Werewolf which we already had in 2013. That just left the clown maze, but we also had a clown maze too. So to me last year it wasn't really worth it, even though they both do the houses very differently it wasn't as much variety as in 2013 to warrant a trip all the way over there. But either way it's still a fun event and that sounds like a great vacation. If you do end up going to Hollywood my tip would be to take advantage of early entry which is good for everyone. Watch the opening scareamony which is usually pretty awesome. Then make your way to the lower lot and take the tram to the backlot mazes. Then go back to do the lower lot houses. Then do the terror tram, and then do the last upper lot houses. I followed this in the middle of October and got to do everything even with some crazy busy crowds, never waiting more than 30 minutes.

Hope this helps, have fun!

I have been doing both HHN's back to back...literately! The way you have it planned seems to be too stretched out unless you planned on doing other stuff/sight seeing. This is what I generally do and I have been doing it for the last 2 years. I'm located in columbia sc by the way.

- train to tampa late wed night/early thurs morning
- HOS at busch gardens thursday night
- bus to orlando friday morning
- HHN orlando friday night
- fly from MCO to BUR (may be more money but much closer) or LAX (cheaper but not so close) sat morning
- HHN hollywood sat night
- Bus/Metro over to Knotts area sun morning
- KSF sunday night

From that point you can come back home or whatever. Last year I stayed a while and we to Disneyland and californias adventure for a few days then flew back to columbia! Doing it that way, im able to hit a park a day and still not be burned out!

I have been doing both HHN's back to back...literately! The way you have it planned seems to be too stretched out unless you planned on doing other stuff/sight seeing. This is what I generally do and I have been doing it for the last 2 years. I'm located in columbia sc by the way.

- fly from MCO to BUR (may be more money but much closer) or LAX (cheaper but not so close) sat morning
- KSF sunday night

From that point you can come back home or whatever. Last year I stayed a while and we to Disneyland and californias adventure for a few days then flew back to columbia! Doing it that way, im able to hit a park a day and still not be burned out!

I did HHN Orlando, HHN Hollywood, Knott's Scary Farm and Mickey's Halloween Party last year. Not back to back, but a couple of weeks apart. I recommend more than 1 night at USF and I'd probably skip Knott's and check out Delusion if you can get tickets for it.

Would totally want to do knotts!!! just didn't know how to fit it all in!!! thanks for all your suggestion guys!!!

- - - Updated - - -

- KSF sunday night

This sounds insane!!! But oh so awesome!! The girl would probably want to do disney!! so i would have to take that into consideration as well!!! thanks for your trip plan and your help!!

Would totally want to do knotts!!! just didn't know how to fit it all in!!! thanks for all your suggestion guys!!!

- - - Updated - - -

This sounds insane!!! But oh so awesome!! The girl would probably want to do disney!! so i would have to take that into consideration as well!!! thanks for your trip plan and your help!!

Disneyland is a must do just to see Haunted Mansion Holiday. It is truly incredible.

Last edited:

- - - Updated - - -

I PROMISE you it would be the best trip you ever took! When I first came up with the idea I was thinking it was a bit much and I was gonna be dragging along but I had plenty of time to relax. Now granted, I didn’t do the parks in the day times (as I was focused on the Halloween events and would rather use the money for the day time ticket for VIP upgrades) but you would have time to do some day time in all the parks if you follow my plan. Here is a break down for how I handled each park…

Busch Gardens (HOS)
I actually do some day time at this park since I am a pass holder and my train gets there around noon. I do the early meal and show which gives you express usage for the first 2-3 hours of the event.

Universal Orlando (HHN)
The train (which is actually a bus but its amtrak) arrives around 2 so I generally go check into hotel. Once I get settled in, I head to the park. Again, I am I pass holder here as well so I go hit up a few rides and wait for the stay and scream area to open. Since I visit HHN several nights during the season I don’t do any VIP here since due to the stay and scream area allowing us to get a house or two done before the gates are open.

Universal Hollywood (HHN)
I try to take the earliest flight out of Orlando going to LA. I have flown into LAX as well as BUR and I find BUR to be more economical even if it may cost more. When I flew into LAX I started the trip at Knotts and my shuttle was 15.00. Since then I decided to fly into BUR and it was far easier to get to my hotel near universal. Now…the hotels in this area are more expensive than any I encountered on the entire trip, but that’s ok since it’s only one night. I would be great to get one of the two hotels on the hill near universal studios (the Hilton and I think the Sheraton) but I waited too late and ended up getting a very nice boutique hotel in Burbank. They gave me comp rides from the airport AND to universal studios AND back to universal the next morning to take the metro.

I didn’t do the park early on in the day since, honestly, there isn’t anything there that Orlando doesn’t have other than the tram tour. By not doing the park in the day, I splurged on the VIP experience. Hands down worth every penny! Great food, love being in the houses virtually alone, overall top notch service. It’s also the only place you can get beer and wine at the entire event.

Knotts Berry Farms (KSF)
While some people may feel let down I say you should experience it for yourself. I usually leave around check out time since I am in no rush to get to the other side but since I am now a Cedar Fair platinum pass holder this year, I may get there earlier. I take the metro train to down town LA then a bus to beach blvd where Knotts is located. Hotels in the area are pretty affordable so you can grab a place near the park…probably the Knotts hotel. I do the buffet here as well as it gives you about 30 minutes in the park with just the other buffet guest. Also, it’s a great time to get the ticket for their zombie shooting experience since it is on a ticket system and it usually runs out within 30 minutes of the official opening as it has limited spots. Since Knotts has soooo many houses and I go on a Sunday night, fastlane isn’t needed. I am able to get all the houses and rides done (I start at the back do xccelerator and the houses back there) with time to spare. Also, it’s a small park near Knotts that is opening a cool looking shuttle coaster!

DLR (Disneyland and California’s Adventure)
Last year I added this option since Disney and Knotts are basically 5 minutes a part. Its plenty of hotels around Disney so you can get a pretty reasonable price. I did 2 days, one at each, but I felt I needed 3 to experience everything. I did Disneyland the first day since it stayed open till 11pm. You gotta make sure you check to make sure you don’t go on a night of not-so-scary cause the park closes early. SNA airport is miles from the DLR so I fly out of that one.

Your girlfriend will just LOVE you for taking her on a tour in basically 7 days! That’s 7 parks that you would experience in no time and you won’t feel worn out! I mean, you wanna do the coast to coast thing right…so do it the RIGHT way.

^Thanks so much for the detailed report!!! This helps me so much you dont even know!!! I dont know one thing about anything west coast other than what you read online!!!

Been doing [HASHTAG]#2Coastz[/HASHTAG] for the past two years now, this upcoming season will be my 3rd...feel like it's best to separate them.

I do Orlando's first earlier in the event when it's less busy and things are still "new", and you can take advantage of the cheaper Rush of Fear pass instead of a FFP.

Then I do Las Vegas as a stopover and then to LA. I do USH's HHN during the last weekend towards Halloween with a FOTL pass. The weather is perfect, just chilly enough, and I also squeeze in Disneyland on a weekday when it's pretty much dead.

It's honestly my favorite tradition now. [HASHTAG]#2CoastzCrew[/HASHTAG]

Personal opinion . . . I think its more fun doing them back to back like literally back to back. It's fresh in your head that way. Besides, isn't that what coast to coast is? lol

Personal opinion . . . I think its more fun doing them back to back like literally back to back. It's fresh in your head that way. Besides, isn't that what coast to coast is? lol

I wish, but taking that much time off work and losing that much pay isn't feasible for me. I like the little break in between so I have something to look forward to at the end of October and it allows me to recoup some work time before heading into another trip.

I'd love to be doing this! BUT I'll be going from press night for the haunt I work at to opening night at HHN 3 days later, so that'll be fun!!