Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Concerns about recent discussion, HATERS

Jun 30, 2012
Alright, this is spur of the moment and I haven't slept so I apologize if this ends up being a rant.

I joined last year when SS 44 was being torn down, watching the speed of the mystery project at the time (now transformers) was fascinating and I wanted to find a friendly place to discuss it. With that out of the way, I feel like discussion on these boards has kinda taken a sad turn.

Themeing is very, very subjective. Some things people consider good show and good theme vary wildly, and that is what we should be discussing here in a friendly a polite manner. Recently though, especially in relation to New Fantasyland, Transformers, and Jurassic Park/the HP Show building, some people have started to resort to dropping the term "haters" very liberally. Nobody here is that, I grew up with the Disney parks and I love them for what they are and were, but I see decline there and it bothers me. Some people don't like the Transformers show building and that's perfectly OK, but calling somebody a Universal or Disney hater is counter productive to any actual discussion about why they have those opinions. People have different taste, they have different opinions, and as long as everybody here keeps it civil we can continue to have the best theme park forum in the English speaking world.

I don't post on WDWmagic often because it's a forum where discussion has become rampant and unchecked, where there are people who love Disney no matter what they do, and hate Universal no matter what they do. I would hate to see this board becoming more of the same, so please let's try and keep discussion civil and discuss why we have these opinions instead of resorting to name calling.

You said it! I really don't want this board to become WDWMagic where if you don't agree on something you get hated. This is the best theme park board out there IMO, so let's make it the best we can.

Agreed. No need to resort to calling someone names or calling someone a hater for their opinion. Or being called a fanboy for an opinion, because some people may like something you don't like, but that may have no indication as to what park they are a fan of if any. Some people (like myself) love all parks, but we still have opinions about certain things within each park.

It's best to just laugh and move on after those posts. It's an internet discussion board, nothing to be taken too seriously.

Plus when you ignore posts like that, the posters go away :peace:

It's best to just laugh and move on after those posts. It's an internet discussion board, nothing to be taken too seriously.

Plus when you ignore posts like that, the posters go away :peace:

Really this is the best advice. The anonymity of the internet allows people to be disruptive just for the fun of it. I've been on boards where the mods try to control it, but people simply make new accounts. Really the best things that I've seen are features built into the site, like special status for those that have proven over time they are respectful or knowledgeable, a special forum for those people, a properly maintained reporting system, my favorite a reputation system maintained by the MODs so you can see fairly quickly if your dealing with a trouble maker. But in the end the easiest is to just ignore them, or add them to your ignore list so you don't even see them.

I think a lot of posts involve sarcsasm..which in my book ads to the flavor of someones post, however a lot can take offense to it. Their isn't anyone here who is inherently evil or out to get someone, believe me.

The thing is it goes in both directions too. If we do nothing but compliment how great everything looks, you get a stagnant result from the product and discussion goes more than stale.
I for one do think they could of done a bit better with the Transformers and blending it, but they could always do a lot worse and its not a shameful attempt at theming. But that is just one example. The thing is just because you critique something does not mean you hate it. Theme parks are a display of many arts and all art and entertainment is subjective. In fact I would say I would look at someone who is critiquing something to love it more than someone who is just constantly satisfied.

I don't see where you're getting the Universal hate in WDWMagic from, I found this topic that shows great love for Universal.

Just wait until some of the regulars show up, Universal can literally do no right.

The thing is it goes in both directions too. If we do nothing but compliment how great everything looks, you get a stagnant result from the product and discussion goes more than stale.

Not at all what I'm talking about, I'm saying that anybody who just responds to criticism with "haters" is just destroying any possible conversation we could have about why people don't like something.

I don't see where you're getting the Universal hate in WDWMagic from, I found this topic that shows great love for Universal.

You can see me getting briefly attacked in that thread for saying the Disney's Seasonal Pass has better benefits than Uni's Power Pass. Also, you have people constantly saying "My $200 Universal AP will be better than Disney any day!" Etc. Rant over :lol:

Last edited:
When I'm on WDW Magic which I haven't been on in a while now, I am usually on the UOR threads and I barely hear anything terrible about UOR.

I'll agree with Ryen that we all have different views of each park, and calling someone a hater can go overboard. Let's respect everyone's opinion as if its our own.

Just wait until some of the regulars show up, Universal can literally do no right.

Not at all what I'm talking about, I'm saying that anybody who just responds to criticism with "haters" is just destroying any possible conversation we could have about why people don't like something.

You quoted me and said this but I feel like you just agreed with me.

When I'm on WDW Magic which I haven't been on in a while now, I am usually on the UOR threads and I barely hear anything terrible about UOR.

......except for when someone starts a thread claiming how Uni is apparently less "magical" than Disney. They're theme parks people, not the Garden of Eden.

Universal is only colored concrete or something like that :lol:

[rant]DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON PATTY. She tried to tell me hundreds of times that everything was painted concrete and how junky everything looked besides Harry Potter, which she said still didn't look good because of "junky red and blue tracks jutting all over the place".[/rant]