Dark Universe (Epic Universe) | Page 26 | Inside Universal Forums

Dark Universe (Epic Universe)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It goes without saying that this looks awesome.

But the big takeaway for me—this is a TON of resources and care put into an IP that isn’t generating billions in box office dollars or (as far as I can tell) merch. This is something that Management allowed the Creatives to take on as a passion project in this very unique and specific scenario in which they needed to round out a full park (not just one land in an existing destination). For that reason, this may be the most special theme park addition we see in our lifetimes (at least in Orlando).
I was thinking the same thing. This is a special one....and we should all feel thankful that Universal is giving us this gift to experience. The amount of detailed craftsmanship is astounding.....looks like people have put their heart and soul into this project.

Last edited:

But the big takeaway for me—this is a TON of resources and care put into an IP that isn’t generating billions in box office dollars or (as far as I can tell) merch. This is something that Management allowed the Creatives to take on as a passion project in this very unique and specific scenario in which they needed to round out a full park (not just one land in an existing destination). For that reason, this may be the most special theme park addition we see in our lifetimes (at least in Orlando).
It's been said that the universal monster pictures is what saved universal early on in its reign as a movie studio so it could be looked upon as being forever indebted to the monsters?

The Steakhouse having vampires as the servers is a cherry on top.
Not the actual vamps, their familiars. . .

Also, I am shocked no one brought up dracula's outfit lol I guess we are over it??

technically everything im seeing is too dark and too scary, i can already hear families complaining about this area, i can already imagine the angry tweets, i can already see some of the backlash of this ride
I and every parent I have talked to think this land is fine. Yes some of our kids won't do the main ride, but none of us are mad. I mean a land about monsters will be scary. So is haunted mansion, but we clearly know that by it saying haunted. FJ is scary too, do people complain about that? As parents we understand not all rides are for all of our kids. I mean thrill coasters exist and many kids won't go on them.

Okay, the Phantom looks fairly close to the Lon Chaney version:
Screen-Shot-2024-06-20-at-1-33-54-PM.png

I wonder if this is our first time hearing Danny Elfman's music for the land. The music sounds similar to his style (atleast thinking it is to me).
Definitely sounds like Elfman, but I suspect that's a demo mock-up; sounds a bit synthetic, not like a live orchestra.

Composition sounds good, though.

Also, I am shocked no one brought up dracula's outfit lol I guess we are over it??
I'll never be over it, but at the same time, there's nothing left to say about it until I see what it looks like in physical form.

Booking my tickets early before they tone it down

what the heck are you talking about

that wolfman animatronic feels like something out of HHN. that animatronic alone is super scary realistic. the art for the creature of the black lagoon looks very scary. a lot of the art stuff looks like its from hhn.
while this IS a monster themed land with Horror characters in it, that image of gillman is much more scary than the real movie. hes the scariest monster in the art work. reminds me of this

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    918.8 KB · Views: 44
technically everything im seeing is too dark and too scary, i can already hear families complaining about this area, i can already imagine the angry tweets, i can already see some of the backlash of this ride
Diversity of attractions and levels of attractions are key for any and all families you can't continually cater to one demographic. While some people hate scary, some family members may love scary and this park already has tons geared for young families. Also based on the number of young children i saw last year at HHN not crying...i don't think this land will have any issues.

I think you honestly nailed it the best here, this is without a doubt a massive passion project for the creative team and one that helps rounds things out for the park with something a little darker and thrilling. That's pretty unique for theme park lands around here.

This is without a doubt my most anticipated land in the whole park. To get a Universal Monsters land is such a dream come true, and it looks great! And while I know they'll be going all out with the Potter ride, Monsters Unchained is my most anticipated dark ride of the bunch. It's the monsters, and everything I've heard from @Alicia has me pumped for it! I've always felt the KUKA arm darkride still has untapped potential, and it sounds like they're having a lot of fun with this one! A bit of FJ, a bit of Alien Encounter, some madcap pace of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, can't wait!

Universal has never outright said “PG-13” before in relation to their parks, which you could argue is more of the resorts vibe.

They’re going out of their way to tell you Monsters Unchained is not to be messed with, guests can make up their own minds always. Go all in.
Ak-shuall-y…

When I was younger I was OBSESSED with the park maps, and they used to “rate” some of their rides PG-13. Like, next to the “no expectant mothers,” “no heart conditions,” etc. logos there would be an MPAA PG-13 box. Off the top of my head it was for Twister, Beetlejuice, T2, Horror Make-Up….maaaybe Blues Brothers? It’s been since replaced with a “Parental Advisory” warning like what they have (had?) for Fast & Furious.

All that to say I see the tone they’re going for very much in the DNA of the resort. There have been enough kid-friendly/even kid-exclusive attractions added lately that a darker and scarier cluster of rides should be widely accepted.

I'm a bit torn. This really looks great and it's clear the passion shines through in every single detail. I don't think anyone is more excited than I am to see the Universal Monsters headline a permanent land in daytime in 2024 after my home Universal park closed both of their horror attractions in the last decade due to lack of interest (RIP Universal Monsters Cafe too). There's a lot of really great stuff here on every level. There's a lot of hype here, and rightfully so based on early impressions.

BUT.

I'm tempering my expectations slightly for a couple reasons. One of my core issues with the land is that I both love and appreciate themed lands, but you ultimately cannot ride them (this is an issue I have with many theme parks like Tokyo DisneySea). The problem is Universal does this ten times a year (ish) with temporary materials on both coasts for HHN, so I suppose I'm a little jaded because I *expect* this level of quality and attention to detail. Also, this land will live and die by the quality of the marquee ride to some extent, which is as of yet unknown (just assumed to be good). There's still a chance this land is not as good as the sum of its parts.

If we compare this to anything that exists, this is Hogsmeade in that there's a marquee ride (Forbidden Journey) and a short family coaster (Hippogriff) that is potentially an upgrade in terms of animatronics but is mere seconds longer in length nonetheless. I think Forbidden Journey is a very good, thrilling ride (even with the screens) with a cohesive story in spite of being a fan service laden greatest hits walkthrough, and I'm not even a huge Harry Potter fan. I have no doubt this will be good, but there's always that chance it misses the mark and is watered down, and it really needs to have a worthwhile, timeless story that's more just cool animatronics (see Tiana's Bayou).

So while I'm super happy that we got this land in 2024 against all odds, and it really looks like it's a standout passion project, but do I think this raises the bar set by Harry Potter more than a decade ago in terms of theming and rides? Objectively speaking, no. I'm not even sure it will surpass Galaxy's Edge yet, which, for all its many faults, is also a very good land, even in its highly nerfed form. Also, if decades of HHN speculation and attendance has taught me anything, it's to simply "wait and see" because you have to experience something first, as hype is no indicator of quality, so I'm only cautiously optimistic. I get this is a Universal centric forum, but I simply think it's way too early to declare this the best land ever and it's still going to need a couple more attractions first. Honestly, if we had gotten only the theater show and the coaster, I would have almost considered this land a disappointment, so I'm glad that the pandemic changed the plans. Not that I hate the theater, but it cannot support a themed land on its own. I really do hope that gets added at some point.

Back to the hype.

All that to say I see the tone they’re going for very much in the DNA of the resort. There have been enough kid-friendly/even kid-exclusive attractions added lately that a darker and scarier cluster of rides should be widely accepted.
Yep, tonally it sounds like it would have fit right alongside Jaws, Kongfrontation, Horror Makeup, Hitchcock, etc.

You do remember Universal's House of Horrors existed at USH for countless years and only to replace it with another too dark and too scary attraction. If you (not you in particular but anyone) complain about 2 out of all the other attractions all because of personal preference, that becomes a YOU problem and hopefully universal understands that. I'll just make sure I constantly tweet and leave positive feedback of the land at guest services every time I visit lol.

Last edited:
Honestly, I doubt within canon it’s human flesh you’re eating. Vampires don’t feast on flesh, only satiating their thirst with human blood. When I dine at Das Stakehaus, I want the familiars serving me to try and wine and dine me. Convince me to let one of their masters drink my blood.