Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (USF) | Inside Universal Forums

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (USF)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
Press Release

With a worldwide gross of more than $540 million, 2010’s “Despicable Me,” from directors Chris Renaud & Pierre Coffin, is the sixth most successful film that Universal Pictures has ever distributed. It is now the 10th-biggest animated film in U.S. history. The 3-D animated adventure thrilled audiences across the globe with its outrageous humor, endearing characters and compelling storyline – all of which guests will be able to experience exclusively at Universal Orlando in 2012.

“Despicable Me” will become the first-ever Universal animated film to be transformed into a theme park experience. The Universal Creative team is working closely with producer Chris Meledandri, the founder of Illumination Entertainment, to create all-new animation for an all-new “Despicable Me” adventure that places guests right in the center of the action.

Gru, one of the world’s greatest super-villains, is bringing his high-tech empire – and his three adopted daughters – to Universal Studios, and he is looking for all the help he can get. First, he will transform guests into an army of mischievous, scene-stealing minions. Then he will train them. And that kicks off an unforgettable ride experience that creates a hysterical mix of chaos and family fun.

Guests will:

• laugh as they embark on an entirely-new, high-tech 3-D digital adventure with their favorite characters from the film – Gru, daughters Margo, Edith and Agnes, and of course, Gru’s not-so-bright pit crew, the minions
  • marvel as they explore Gru’s lair and descend into his secret lab
  • shriek as the entire family is transformed into minions
  • celebrate as they are swept into a first-ever, minion-inspired, interactive dance party where they can show off their best moves
“The ‘Despicable Me’ attraction is the latest example of how we tap into pop culture’s most compelling stories and turn them into extraordinary theme park entertainment,” said Mark Woodbury, president of Universal Creative. “This is a perfect fit for Universal Orlando, and we can’t wait to bring this one-of-a-kind experience to life.”

“As we write, design and animate our films at Illumination, it is our singular goal to bring to life endearing and, hopefully, enduring characters,” said Chris Meledandri. “With the creation of next year’s ‘Despicable Me’ attraction at Universal Orlando, audiences will be able to immerse themselves in Gru’s world for many years to come.”

Very good move on Universal's part. That was a fantastic film that seems like it would make a very fun (and funny) attraction.

They didn't exactly reveal any tech. Is it safe to assume the Hanna-Barbera/JN rocket sims are staying? It certainly would fit with the DM storyline.

I think especially with the mention of the "dance" in the end, that they are going to continue the tradition of the attraction doing the "Chicken Dance" in the end, since parents and kids have fun doing it together.

I am very excited about this, and I hope that we will get maybe a different load, and preshow procedure... maybe have the entrance where the exit is now... I just personally hate the current queue.

Despicable Me ride announced for Universal Studios Orlando, replacing Jimmy Neutron

[video=youtube;6kDOHoZk1gk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kDOHoZk1gk[/video]

In a webcast on May 19, 2011, Universal Orlando Creative's Mark Woodbury announced Despicable Me as the next attraction to come to Universal Studios Florida, replacing Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast. The new ride will be a 3D adventure that concludes with a Minion Dance Party.

I think especially with the mention of the "dance" in the end, that they are going to continue the tradition of the attraction doing the "Chicken Dance" in the end, since parents and kids have fun doing it together.

I don't think so. They said it'd be interactive. I think that'll be part of the post show.

"Interactive" is a term that theme park PR staff like to throw around. I think the whole "Chicken Dance" thing would fall under their definition of "interactive."

No, as Jungleskip and a few of us in the chat were mentioning I would count on the interactive Dance party being the post show. Notice how they say being able to show off your own dance moves along with your family being able to take part in a minion dance party.

That is what they are going to utilize the post show area before the giftshop for. Sounds cute.

Orrrr......they can have a section of the queue, sort of like a large-ish pre-show room with the interactive Minion Dance Party. I hope not though. I would prefer to be able to walk past it at the end.

Well, the last hint given shows that the soundstage was taken. Does that hint at an all new building?

That, can anyonbe confirm that in fact the building is gone, or is the hint photoshopped.

If, in fact the building is gone, then I am a WHOLE lot more interested in what this will be. There is NO WAY they would remove the building and ride system just to put it right back.

That, can anyonbe confirm that in fact the building is gone, or is the hint photoshopped.

If, in fact the building is gone, then I am a WHOLE lot more interested in what this will be. There is NO WAY they would remove the building and ride system just to put it right back.

I'm pretty sure it's photoshopped.

It was a joke for Gru taking over.

Common sense says they would not be able to demo a building and build an entire new exprience and expect to have it open in 2012.

:inquisitive: Really? Kong came and picked up the building to move it just for this picture? :lol:

Photoshop is a helluva program.

Last edited:
Orrrr......they can have a section of the queue, sort of like a large-ish pre-show room with the interactive Minion Dance Party. I hope not though. I would prefer to be able to walk past it at the end.

Screw that man, I don't care how foolish I'd look...I'm so joining in on the Dance Party!!! it's time for Cwool to shake what his mama gave him!!!