DHS Pixar Expansion/Sound Stage 1 | Inside Universal Forums

DHS Pixar Expansion/Sound Stage 1

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Staff
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
I posted about this in the Backlot Tour thread, but I think this deserves it's own thread since I believe it is it's own project...

Well first, there was a permit filed for the building titled "Project 3 - DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation" contracted by Whiting Turner, expiration is 9/30/2016.

http://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagl....pdf?id=DOC1544S16913.A0&parent=DOC1544S16913

"Project 6" was labled as the Maelstrom re-do for those interested :smiley:

Next, there was a group of higher ups touring the park today with plans in hand, according to Martin who is currently there:

According to Martin, Tom Fitz and some suits are at Stage one right now. With plans.

Edit: Add to that....Skipper John (Lasseter), Staggs, Meg, George...

Disneys-Hollywood-Studios_Full_22049.jpg;width=640

(Notice Lasseter wearing a Magic Band)

Disneys-Hollywood-Studios_Full_22050.jpg;width=640

All of this is very interesting with how fast it seems to be coming together. BLT closing this weekend, Frozen stuff moving out of SS1, entertainment. It has to be because of the fiscal year. I don't want to get to excited since this is TDO after all, but everything WDW is so negative on these boards, it's nice to finally see something potentially leaning in a good direction.

*oh btw, credit to WDWMagic for the pics

Last edited:
Wow I can't believe lasseter was there!!! As an inspiring animator that dude is a god lol. But back to toy story land I'm fine with it. Literally anything could be better than the backlot tour as it is and I mean ANYTHING

Wow I can't believe lasseter was there!!! As an inspiring animator that dude is a god lol. But back to toy story land I'm fine with it. Literally anything could be better than the backlot tour as it is and I mean ANYTHING
Toy Story playland wouldn't be going in Soundstage 1. It would be some sort of dark ride or the Monsters coaster that's been on the shelf for years most likely. TSPL would go over on the Backlot land if it comes at all, but most have said that it was an unfounded/unsourced rumor.

Toy Story playland wouldn't be going in Soundstage 1. It would be some sort of dark ride or the Monsters coaster that's been on the shelf for years most likely. TSPL would go over on the Backlot land if it comes at all, but most have said that it was an unfounded/unsourced rumor.

Oh gotcha, that's exciting!!! All MGM needs is a couple rides to make it work and if it starts out with a great dark ride I can't complain. Hopefully it's monsters

TSPL is the type of thing Burbank has historically used to quickly provide some relief to parks struggling with capacity and/or lack of kid friendly attractions (see Bugs Land@DCA and TSPL@WDSP). I would not be surprised if it were part of this plan. But as NBT said, that's not what is happening with SS1. I also don't believe that it is for more TSMM. I do believe that I most likely won't be all that excited for what ever is going in there. :shrug:

Expiration in about two years? That's either very encouraging or spells doom for whatever this is.
Yup. I also find it interesting Disney is labeling the permits with a Project #. They very rarely do anything like that.

TSPL is the type of thing Burbank has historically used to quickly provide some relief to parks struggling with capacity and/or lack of kid friendly attractions (see Bugs Land@DCA and TSPL@WDSP). I would not be surprised if it were part of this plan. But as NBT said, that's not what is happening with SS1. I also don't believe that it is for more TSMM. I do believe that I most likely won't be all that excited for what ever is going in there. :shrug:
Apparently, according to a few sources, the TSMM expansion is happening along with an overall expansion of the area. But TSMM is being expanded with the expanded track being stand-by and the existing tracks being used for FP+ (FP+ takes up about 2/3 of the capacity currently anyway so it makes sense).

For what it's worth regarding this, Lee over on Magic (who's been known as an insider there), has been sounding very optimistic about this whole project. Even going as far as saying (when talking about the condition of Epcot):

I don't think it will get that far.
Disney is in a spending mood. Seriously.

He then threw this little nugget in there about Bob Iger signing off on projects:
And above.
For this kind of money, the Board gets involved.

If the spending is really as high as he is making it sound, maybe we will be seeing a DCA-style redo announced at some point? Either way, i'm optimistic and excited for what the future holds for DHS, which is unusual of me to say for a Disney project. :lol:

Last edited:
^ Now we can point fingers. I would call this to be a response to both Potter and the mega hotel construction going on.
Oh it's definitely in response to Uni. I believe it's in response to the water park that will be being built soon in addition to Potter.

Also, I know he's not the most reliable source, but this is a cliff notes version of what Jim Hill said his most recent podcast:
Park will be renamed/rebranded Disney's Hollywood Adventure
A version of Radiator Springs racers is coming along with Flo's V8 Cafe
Star Wars is still coming to Echo Lake area
Toy Story attractions are coming to pixar place area
Something big is coming to Universal that will make it worth going for three days, which leads me to believe its the long rumored waterpark

Jim doesn't think a TSMM expansion is happening

Soarin around the world film is being made for Shanghai and will come to WDW

Imagineering doesn't like Avatar

Last edited:
Nice, I was just thinking about if they renamed/rebranded the park like that. It was originally built in response to plans for USF, but back in those days Disney was faster than Uni with construction :rofl:

Now they are changing gears, playing down the studios aspect and making immersive lands like IoA. I may be in on this after all, let's see what they can do. It's gotta be all-in otherwise it'll just seem half-:censored:-ed.

TSPL is the type of thing Burbank has historically used to quickly provide some relief to parks struggling with capacity and/or lack of kid friendly attractions (see Bugs Land@DCA and TSPL@WDSP).

So you're saying Disney hasn't realized this since 1989?

Awesome tips and tidbits above. I'd love to see WDW do a REAL overhaul/rebranding of DHS and make it into something like they did with DCA. Unfortunately, until they prove otherwise, I fear that TDO will pull their same old cheap sh*t and "value engineer" everything to make it lame and watered-down. I certainly hope they get overruled on this.

Thanks for sharing! I'll be watching this unfold with great interest.

Awesome tips and tidbits above. I'd love to see WDW do a REAL overhaul/rebranding of DHS and make it into something like they did with DCA. Unfortunately, until they prove otherwise, I fear that TDO will pull their same old cheap sh*t and "value engineer" everything to make it lame and watered-down. I certainly hope they get overruled on this.

Thanks for sharing! I'll be watching this unfold with great interest.
I would love to see something added like the Red Care Trolley as well if they end up doing a full park refresh. The park needs little things like that and more kinetic movement throughout the park. It would be the peoplemover of DHS.

Whatever they do though, I hope more whatever is involved somehow. The park is a concrete wasteland. It feels so dry and that lack of kinetic movement only adds to it.

I have hope Jim Hill is right but we got atleast 11 months till we get any confirmation on whats coming to HWS as I think that will be a big starting point for HWS.. and also, Is anyone else hoping D23 has the show of upcoming Disney rides again? I miss it and I hope it comes back..and it would make sense if they want to do big announcements as they do have a lot more projects than usual *Shangai, DLSWL (Which I kno facts about it), HWSSWL, Whatever is coming to Backlot Tour, Frozen, HKDLs IronMan, and a hellvalot more)

Ok so after looking up the toy story play land, the theming is one step above the all star movie resort toy story wing lol

HKDL is a step above the one in WDS Paris. In terms of cheap mini-lands to relieve pressure (Bugs Land, Under the Sea etc.), I think Toy Story Playland in HKDL is the best for what it's worth. It's very kinetic, vibrant and fun, plus it actually contains a flat ride for adults whereas the other lands seem to be too directly aimed at 3 year olds only.

I don't mind it, and I certainly don't mind it for Hollywood Studios, in the Pixar area, as part of a bigger Pixar initiative.

As has been pointed out on WDW Magic, while Toy Story Playland and TSMM 3rd track seem to be a part of the plan, you aren't dragging Lassiter out to the swamps for a couple of clones. Something *new* is also likely coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.