Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Diagon Alley Proposal

May 8, 2014
PC, Florida
Hi everybody,
I'm planning on proposing to my girlfriend of 5 years on our upcoming trip to Uni in sept. She's a diehard potter fan and I figured it would be amazing to do it in Diagon. The ideal setup would be to have the team members at Ollivanders in on it, and her be selected for a wand and on the wand or in the box be the ring. If this idea doesn't seem feasible, any advice or suggestions from those that have been would be greatly appreciated. She doesn't visit this site,(boo) so I figured this would be a great place to get some feedback. Thanks!

It might be a cool idea to do it in Shutterbuttons too - get a moving picture of your proposal in whatever scene you wanted to. Ollivanders sounds like a great plan though, and I think it's been done before in the Hogsmeade version so I don't see why they wouldn't let you do it here...

First off that is awesome and congrats!! Your idea sounds really good.

I asked universal what was and wasn't allowed about 6 months ago. As long as it doesn't interrupt a ride or show is ok, ollivanders is a bit of a grey area I would think. Also they will provide characters to be in on it if you ask them but photographers are not something theu are in control of.

I would call guest services just to be safe and see what all they are willing to do.

One word of advice, don't go on any rough rides or you will have a bout of extreme paranoia. When I did it the spot I wanted was unusually crowded and we ended up going on MIB and mummy with the ring in my pocket. I was a nervous wreck and kept making sure it was still there every couple seconds.

That would definitely be a really sweet and special place to do it!!! I definitely agree with Adoni that rides would probably not be the best option but don't make it incredibly obvious by saying "hey let's go to olivanders" before let's say gringotts. But that's a adorable idea, two of my friends proposed at universal, one at hogsmeade and one at Sneech beach witch is perfect too if olivanders doesn't work out. Best of luck to you

I called guest services today, and Ollivanders is a no go, but there's an abundance of great places to do it. I'm mixed between the London waterfront, in Diagon, or in front of the castle. Thanks for the advice everyone. I wasn't thinking about riding rides with the ring in my pocket, so y'all spared me a lot of stress there. I definitely want to look into shutter buttons. That sounds like an awesome way to capture, if not the actual proposal, the reenactment. Thanks again, and if anyone has some more ideas since I haven't been to the new area yet, let me know.

How about trying to get pulled on stage during the show with Celestina Warbeck, she always pulls a guy on stage, maybe you can play that to your advantage?

I called guest services today, and Ollivanders is a no go, but there's an abundance of great places to do it. I'm mixed between the London waterfront, in Diagon, or in front of the castle. Thanks for the advice everyone. I wasn't thinking about riding rides with the ring in my pocket, so y'all spared me a lot of stress there. I definitely want to look into shutter buttons. That sounds like an awesome way to capture, if not the actual proposal, the reenactment. Thanks again, and if anyone has some more ideas since I haven't been to the new area yet, let me know.
You should look into celestina warbeck, you could get chosen to be on the stage and then possibly propose then. I don't know if it's optional but it's a cute idea

- - - Updated - - -

How about trying to get pulled on stage during the show with Celestina Warbeck, she always pulls a guy on stage, maybe you can play that to your advantage?

GAHHH YOU BEAT ME TO IT!!!! Darn you vyrus :fist:

One thing to think about is if you want it to be more private or if having a throng of people around wouldn't bother you. London waterfront could be really nice, you could do it from the park across the way with her able to see the view of London, or you could even do it in that little off spot at Lombard's. When I had proposed, I had 5 places in mind (Bruce, the park, the rocks behind Mythos, the bridge at IOA, and Allah) with some backup ideas luckily the one I wanted eventually cleared out enough behind Richter's near Bruce. Either way it is going to be awesome just don't stress yourself.

For capturing the moment you can try to talk to one of the wandering photo connect people and maybe have them meet you there, I had planned to have one of them take a picture and get a caricature done afterwards, but alas the one time I couldn't find a picture taker. If you are near Lombard's you may have a pretty good chance since the big photoconnect area is right there near Disaster.

One thing to think about is if you want it to be more private or if having a throng of people around wouldn't bother you. London waterfront could be really nice, you could do it from the park across the way with her able to see the view of London, or you could even do it in that little off spot at Lombard's. When I had proposed, I had 5 places in mind (Bruce, the park, the rocks behind Mythos, the bridge at IOA, and Allah) with some backup ideas luckily the one I wanted eventually cleared out enough behind Richter's near Bruce. Either way it is going to be awesome just don't stress yourself.

For capturing the moment you can try to talk to one of the wandering photo connect people and maybe have them meet you there, I had planned to have one of them take a picture and get a caricature done afterwards, but alas the one time I couldn't find a picture taker. If you are near Lombard's you may have a pretty good chance since the big photoconnect area is right there near Disaster.
I definitely agree, it might be best to find a smaller area than to make a giant crazy proposal. Find a really nice area then do there. Sneech beach worked for my buddy because it's out of the way and just a overall gorgeous look of the waterfront, incredibly romantic. There also isn't the pressure of the oohs and ahhs from guests where I'd probably make your nerves worse and might not get a genuine reaction due to the pressure. A nice little spot would be a place you could go every visit and cherish the memory too. Do what you want but I'd look into that if you can't get anything grand

One other idea, if she doesn't know about the unadvertised spell casting places, you could pick one of those and surprise her by casting a spell she didn't know about, and suddenly take out the ring- maybe even have it on your wand hidden by your hand until after the spell.

Find a way to sneak away from her and get into Diagon, maybe have some friends snap pictures of her in London or something and tell her you need to use the bathroom. Then have who ever is in on it walk her thru the brick walls where you will be on one knee waiting for her.

The most romantic place in all of UOR is a balcony table at BiCE.

bice-ristorante.jpg

All great ideas! The hidden spell location stuff sounds great.I was definitely thinking about getting her the new interactive ones and somehow getting the ring in there before she opened it up. As long as she notices the expensive jewelry before she waves that thing around. What are some of the better locations scenic wise?

All great ideas! The hidden spell location stuff sounds great.I was definitely thinking about getting her the new interactive ones and somehow getting the ring in there before she opened it up. As long as she notices the expensive jewelry before she waves that thing around. What are some of the better locations scenic wise?

Knockturn Alley :3

Stairway next to gringotts with the view of diagon is incredibly pretty

Ohhhh can someone please propose to me in Diagon Alley :':)stunned::yikes::embarassed::died::confused::'(

Best of luck with it all Hudson - please update us on how it goes! :)

I was on the bridge in front of the Universal Globe on my way into the Studios when I noticed a plane flying directly over the park. It said something along the lines of Maria will you marry me... I was like huh?? I looked over and 5ft from me the guy pointed to the sky, she began crying, and he proposed right in front of the park.

I was like, well done sir!!