Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Diagon Alley Upper Lot Concept

Jul 2, 2013
Orange County, CA
Hey guys, me again.

If you know me well enough or followed some of my posts you know about how I love to do photoshop renderings of what-could. In this post I'd like to explore a concept of what could be done if Diagon Alley were to be located in the upper lot (currently rumored to be mummy). Based on the research I've done, at least in terms of it being able to fit, it seems more than doable if it were to occupy the studio tour loading/unloading and adjacent tram garages. But let's start from the front and work our way through my proposed land. 

24g7e5g.jpg

Where this really begins is at the end of Springfield, at the current location of the Studio Tour entrance. I propose that the path remain the same, but the Studio Tour bridge and escalator be fully enclosed and rethemed to a London Underground Terminal. In this concept I would not include a Hogwarts Express (no longer needed), so many of the iconic props, and the "Make a Little Magic" sign would be relocated to the entrance into London. The escalator would be a replica of London's iconic London Tube.

2cqnvki.png

Once you have exited the terminal you are then greeted by a huge reveal of the new London expansion space and welcomed into London. Employees would greet guests as if they had just traveled a long journey and arrived into London.  The new area would be dominated by towering facades encompassing a quaint park and grand fountain located in the center. These facades will serve the obvious purpose of blocking out the Forbidden Journey showbuilding as much as possible and reach up the 3-4 stories tall. This will be immersive. This would also allow for Baker Street to be rethemed and remodeled.

The reason I like this concept so much is that it basically connects both Hogsmeade and Diagon, without visually connecting them. They're both isolated and the London experience will help buffer one PotterLand from the other without breaking theme. Not to mention having it located in this spot both saves the mummy location of other themes (Nintendo), as well as saves WaterWorld, a much needed show.

What do you guys think? I put a lot of thought and effort into this so be gentle. :p

Interesting...but wouldn't it make more sense to have Universal build Diagon Alley in the Lower Lot where they have more room and its not so close to Hogsmeade?
Considering the fact that both rides are in the same park it really doesn't matter as long as they're both isolated in some way, which they would be. Universal would just be making it more difficult to grow if they had Diagon in the lower lot.

Few things about this....

enclosing the bridge is an AWFUL idea... that would do away with one of the unique photo-spots for WWOHP! It'd be a shame to lose it..

Then there is the main issue of the Studio Tour would go where? And how would it return to the load/unload path after Supercharged due to DA?

Is this concept drawn to scale, because - at first glance - it doesn't appear as if the Studio Tour area has nearly enough room for Diagon Alley.

enclosing the bridge is an AWFUL idea... that would do away with one of the unique photo-spots for WWOHP! It'd be a shame to lose it..
Surely Universal doesn't care about whether or not guests can get a photo opportunity with an exposed show building.

Is this concept drawn to scale, because - at first glance - it doesn't appear as if the Studio Tour area has nearly enough room for Diagon Alley.
Yes it's to scale. I think you're not looking at the right areas. The back of the Gringott's show-building would touch the parking lot closest to citywalk. It far extends past just the Studio Tour Loading/Unloading.

14m6yau.jpg

Few things about this....

Then there is the main issue of the Studio Tour would go where? And how would it return to the load/unload path after Supercharged due to DA?
1. That photo op is pretty lack-luster when compared to the StarWay. And Jon is right, Less showbuilding seen = better.

2. Simple. move the Studio Tour to the lower lot. I believe Stage 12 is the perfect place for a new Studio Tour though others may think different. Instead of taking a right, it would take a left out of the show building and work it's way back through the studio maybe leave room for another animation. There is nothing written saying that it HAS to be the finale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, you've cut out a lot of the actual shops and backstage areas for Diagon Alley in order for it to fit.

I did a quick mock up, yes I did include HE and load but I included everything else too. HE would be the top right most area. (My samples were all done at 100ft per inch scale per google maps)

test%20diagon%20upper%20lot.jpg

The only things I cut were HE and HE's queue and a portion of the front facade. I didn't touch any of the show-buildings. Backstage areas are relative to each park. USH doesn't need to be identical to get an idea to work.

And you put Diagon in the wrong spot. Place it down further so that Gringotts is right next to the closest parking structure (Jurassic I think).

The only things I cut were HE and HE's queue and a portion of the front facade. I didn't touch any of the show-buildings. Backstage areas are relative to each park. USH doesn't need to be identical to get an idea to work.

And you put Diagon in the wrong spot. Place it down further so that Gringotts is right next to the closest parking structure (Jurassic I think).

Not trying to misplace on purpose, I just don't have the maps available with Hogsmeade construction! I still don't think it'll fit and I don't think you understand what you're cutting out.

Not trying to misplace on purpose, I just don't have the maps available with Hogsmeade construction! I still don't think it'll fit and I don't think you understand what you're cutting out.
Ah gotcha, well I used your mock up map and your suggested scale and it still fits perfectly :)

2vlqzvl.jpg

Except for the fact that the entire promotion for Supercharged is that its the "grand finale" of the Studio Tour... :unsure:  And even if it just became a "middle of the tour" attraction like Jaws, Kong, EQ.. there is still the issue of Studio Tour route. Yes, it can circle behind Falls Lake, but it'd have to take a road it was just on. Relocating the Studio Tour load/unload is not as easy as it was back in the early days of the park.

And I wasn't referring to FJ's show building in regards to pics... Of course nobody wants to see that giant box. You can see Orlando's big box of doom too. I was referring to the overall vantage point of Hogwarts. Its a cool distant view. Yea sure we have a side view from the extended queue/exit pathway/Olli queue/3 broomsticks patio... I'm just saying, its a good view regardless of the show building.

Cute idea, but most likely not the actuality. The rumors are ping-ponging around for a reason, but obviously we should expect Diagon to be eventually the "worst kept USH secret" like it was at USF for awhile.

I don't think this would make sense from a logistic point of view. I don't know of any property Universal has right now that would generate an attraction as popular as Diagon Alley would be. Diagon Alley, when it eventually comes, will be a guaranteed crowd pleaser/generator, and it wouldn't make sense to have it on the upper lot right along side Hogsmead, the other main crowd pleaser/generator. They need to spread those crowds out, get people down to the lower lot. That's where they really need to build Diagon Alley.

And there's nowhere in any of these plans where the Hogwarts Express can be deemed unnecessary. I think it's very necessary. They're even including it in Beijing, where the two lands will be right next to each other. 

I don't think this would make sense from a logistic point of view. I don't know of any property Universal has right now that would generate an attraction as popular as Diagon Alley would be. Diagon Alley, when it eventually comes, will be a guaranteed crowd pleaser/generator, and it wouldn't make sense to have it on the upper lot right along side Hogsmead, the other main crowd pleaser/generator. They need to spread those crowds out, get people down to the lower lot. That's where they really need to build Diagon Alley.

And there's nowhere in any of these plans where the Hogwarts Express can be deemed unnecessary. I think it's very necessary. They're even including it in Beijing, where the two lands will be right next to each other. 
You don't think Jurassic Park, Transformers, Studio Tour (on lower lot), SLOP and Nintendo-Land would be crowd pleasing enough to get people to the lower lot?

You don't think Jurassic Park, Transformers, Studio Tour (on lower lot), SLOP and Nintendo-Land would be crowd pleasing enough to get people to the lower lot?
Nintendo and TSLoP to me wouldn't be enough. They need Diagon to balance the flow, in a interesting wake of it. I also think that theres no chance in hell that we'll be seeing the Studio Tour move at all, unless its necessary (which to be honest; it ain't necessary for it to go moving location, especially with the changes to the entrance and what-not.)

An attraction going into the tram garage has been park of the Evolution plan.

t11.png

And if an attraction goes into the tram garage that most likely mean the tram loading area would have to move to allow guests to get to it.

t11.png

And if an attraction goes into the tram garage that most likely mean the tram loading area would have to move to allow guests to get to it.
True, but also to remember; That was originally apart of the Evolution Plan, which as we've seen; has changed quite a bit, with the notes of TSLoP, Mummy closing, and more.

Things can change over time, and I have no doubt that it will eventually shut down the Studio Tour, but. As of right now; i'd very much suggest that we shouldn't look for an attraction at that location.

t11.png

The Evolution Plan is more of a guidline of where Universal could possibly expand. It's not concrete.

No, I don't think it would be. The old attractions wouldn't be a match for the Potter luster. SLOP is a completely untried franchise. It wouldn't be the first time a theme park/studio has had high hopes for a property (right down to designing theme park attractions based on it) only to pull the plug when the movie didn't perform to expectations. And Nintendo-Land would generate nothing close to the draw of Wizarding World.

The lower lot, to me, never seems to be as busy as the upper lot. I wonder how many visitors never make the journey down there at all during their visit. It would be interesting to know.

And Nintendo-Land would generate nothing close to the draw of Wizarding World.
I respectfully disagree. I don't think three Universal parks would invest so much into Nintendo if it wasn't going to be at least as profitable as Potter. Mario is one of the most marketable/recognizable characters and the merchandising they would draw from families would be enormous. I love Harry Potter but I think Nintendo has a further reaching audience.