Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney Q1 2019

Mad Dog

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2013
Pittsburgh area
from "Reuters" wire service....."Walt Disney Company reported quarterly earnings on Tues. (Feb. 5, 2019) that topped Wall Street's estimates thanks to the company's booming theme park business and growth at the ABC broadcast network. The theme park's and consumer products division reported profit of $2.2 billion, up 10%from a year earlier. Results were buoyed by increased guest spending and higher occupancy rates at Disney's United States theme parks"....and from Disney's report "Guest spending growth was due to higher ticket prices,an increase in food, beverage and merchandise spending and higher average hotel room rates.....Operating income at our international parks and resorts was down modestly...as lower results at Shanghai Disney Resort and Disneyland Paris were largely offset by an increase at Hong Kong's Resort. Lower operating income at Shanghai Disney Resort was primarily due to lower attendance and higher costs...at Hong Kong Resort, the increase in operating income was driven by increased guest spending and higher occupied room nights......Reports lower income from licensing activities was driven by a decrease in fees for products based on Star Wars and Cars".............................so, it appears, bottom line, the increased revenue was largely from higher prices across the spectrum. ...............................................................................................Edit: Correction on the thread title. That's actually Disney's first quarter, not second.Moderator, please correct. Thanks.

Last edited:
10% profit jump. Jesus.

Every. Single. Quarter. It’s another double digit growth from the previous year. Will it ever end?!? And this is with multiple projects under construction at every park but AK.

I’m also curious how much Shanghai missed projections.

was it this site or magic that said there was a 30% decrease in attendance?

People are always saying their attendance is decreasing, yet it never does, and those people are proven wrong time and time again. Why anyone listens to them, I’ll never know. Although I guess one day, they’ll eventually be right.

10% profit jump. Jesus.

Every. Single. Quarter. It’s another double digit growth from the previous year. Will it ever end?!? And this is with multiple projects under construction at every park but AK.

I’m also curious how much Shanghai missed projections.

People are always saying their attendance is decreasing, yet it never does, and those people are proven wrong time and time again. Why anyone listens to them, I’ll never know. Although I guess one day, they’ll eventually be right.

I think they are confused. 20% decrease in June, 30% increase in September. :grin:

The parks are being attended evenly throughout the year more so than a few years ago.

Their additional statement was that "domestic attendance was comparable" to the previous year's quarter (Oct., Nov. Dec. 2017 vs. Oct. Nov. Dec. 2018) . So basically attendance stayed about the same while the pricing increased revenue. If GESWL opens in Oct. or early November, I'd guess that they'll get an actual attendance jump in the first quarter of 2019. That's proving to be an ever popular time of year for both Disney and Universal, as summer crowds sizzle less than in past years.

When do we get the annual meeting? I can't wait for my annual visit from the "crazy rightwing media conspiracy theorist" fairy.

there's a right wing media?
No, the conspiracy theorist is. Nearly every year, some whack job shareholder rants during the QA about the left wing media bias, and Iger and Co have to shut him up without calling him names. Fun.

Welcome to The Walt Disney Company - A Whole New World

The mission of The Walt Disney Company is to entertain, inform and inspire people around the globe through the power of unparalleled storytelling, reflecting the iconic brands, creative minds and innovative technologies that make ours the world’s premier entertainment company.