Disney replacing Guest Assistance Card | Inside Universal Forums

Disney replacing Guest Assistance Card

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 11, 2012
Orlando Fl
Looks like the Guest Assistance Card is finally going away. This system had so much abuse it was getting ridiculous. The new system will work a lot like the one Universal has in place. When you get to an attraction you will receive a return time based on the attractions current wait time. http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog...rvice-cards-replacing-guest-assistance-cards/

- - - Updated - - -

From the source link:
"Disney reports they have been working closely with disability groups and Autism Speaks for feedback into the new process. Disney provided this statement: “We have an unwavering commitment to making our parks accessible to all guests. Given the increasing volume of requests we receive for special access to our attractions, we are changing our process to create a more consistent experience for all our guests while providing accommodations for guests with disabilities.”"

I also found this helpful FAQ

How will the new Disney program work?
The Disability Access Service Card will offer Guests a return time for an attraction based on the current wait time. Guest Assistance Cards will continue to be in effect until Oct. 9. We look forward to sharing more information as we get closer to implementation.

Did Disney receive assistance in developing the Disability Access Service Card?
Yes, Disney is engaging disability groups, and Autism Speaks was instrumental in providing feedback as we developed this new process.

Why is Disney making these changes?
Given the increasing volume of requests Disney receives for special access to our attractions, we are changing our process beginning Oct. 9 so that it creates a more consistent experience for all our Guests while providing accommodations for Guests with disabilities.

Who will be eligible for a Disability Access Service Card?
Our goal is to accommodate Guests who aren’t able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities).

Will Guests on wish trips also use Disability Access Service Cards?
No. Guests who are visiting through wish-granting organizations will have access through a separate program.

What should Guests do if they have concerns?
Guests should contact Guest Relations to discuss their assistance needs.

This makes sense. The program was heavily abused and with the new FF+ system they need more accurate counts to keep the lines down. I figured they would be doing something with this new system. I thought they would be doing something with the bands themselves, but from what I am reading it doesn't look to be that way. It is a tricky subject because Disney can't really tell sometimes whether a person is truly disabled and this makes it difficult. You don't want to turn someone down that can't wait in lines, but at the same point you don't want to let everyone use the system. This will make it less easy to use and hopefully then some will not cheat the system.

I will be honest, this would have been more of a pain for us, but as much abuse as I saw with the system, I am happy they are doing this. I am hoping (but doubtful) that Disney will use the FP Kiosk at their station to schedule the time so it is part of the counts and helps keep the FP lines from getting crazy.

The best part is allllllllllll morning the same dude in my office has been comparing about this. And he said he's going to complain at Guest Relations and if they don't give him a pass he's going to tell them he's going to Universal. If only he knew.

I wonder how this will affect everyone who thinks Universal's system sucks and Disney's is great. :ears:

The best part is allllllllllll morning the same dude in my office has been comparing about this. And he said he's going to complain at Guest Relations and if they don't give him a pass he's going to tell them he's going to Universal. If only he knew.

Is he handicapped? Does he currently go to Uni, because there are people grandfathered into the GAP pass program which is way different than the red card system Uni has. And they do sometimes give out new GAP passes (but these are HARD to get and require visible reasons or medical papers), so Uni does have something similar to the current Disney system is which is getting into all express lines. Sounds like Disney will no longer have this other than make a wish. But they also may not be advertising that they have something else either. I know Uni does not advertise their GAP program, because so few people get into it.

I wonder how this will affect everyone who thinks Universal's system sucks and Disney's is great. :ears:

I actually preferred Uni's program. Because even if the person was not riding the ride they allowed you to use it. Because their child swap area was up by the ride. Where Disney we had more issues because we had to separate as a family where one would take Abby and then the other came out and the other person had to go in. While the second person would be in FP line, it was a pain and we hardly did it other than rides Abby really liked and then we would get a fast pass. Luckily Disney had very few rides Johnny could not get on. But at Uni there was way more and the way Uni did it really helped us since then we could stay together as a family until boarding of the ride. So we were only separated for about 10 minutes (2 rides - one per parent).

Last edited:
Is he handicapped? Does he currently go to Uni, because there are people grandfathered into the GAP pass program which is way different than the red card system Uni has. And they do sometimes give out new GAP passes (but these are HARD to get and require visible reasons or medical papers), so Uni does have something similar to the current Disney system is which is getting into all express lines. Sounds like Disney will no longer have this other than make a wish. But they also may not be advertising that they have something else either. I know Uni does not advertise their GAP program, because so few people get into it.

He is not. And with the way he's talking about Universal, I don't think he's been in years :lol: But the reason he's really a piece of crap, is that not once has he voiced a medical concern. It's all that he doesn't wanna wait in line. He doesn't wanna come back with a fastpass essentially. He said "It's not enough that I have to plan the whole vacation, now I have to plan what I wanna do in your parks." Are you kidding me?

He is not. And with the way he's talking about Universal, I don't think he's been in years :lol: But the reason he's really a piece of crap, is that not once has he voiced a medical concern. It's all that he doesn't wanna wait in line. He doesn't wanna come back with a fastpass essentially. He said "It's not enough that I have to plan the whole vacation, now I have to plan what I wanna do in your parks." Are you kidding me?

Are you saying that he pretends to be handicapped at WDW? What a piece of human trash if so...

Are you saying that he pretends to be handicapped at WDW? What a piece of human trash if so...

I really don't know. I do know he hasnt shown an ounce of real concern for anyone that is handicapped or anyone in his party and why they need or will be hurt without the pass.

366p9s.jpg

I'm kind of surprised the system lasted this long. They've been cracking down. I had to get one probably last November at Disney and their response was "you can get a wheelchair." which completely floored me. Now I bring my discharge papers (even though there is HIPPA law) just to emphasize the point.

Then I have no clue why he is complaining. And like Teebin said, if he faked it... well Teebin said it best.