Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disneyland in December

fryoj

Premium Member
May 19, 2013
Going to Disneyland in December with the wife and 9 yr old daughter. We have two days slotted for Disney and are doing it midweek. Probably looking at either M-T or T-W. It seems in my little bit of research that there should be lighter crowds at this time, but I'm still wondering if a two day park hopper will be enough? I don't want to just run run run the whole time, but also probably don't feel the need to ride everything. I know we will want to check out whatever Christmas things are going on.

Also, what boards would be good for questions on DLR? I know I'm going to have more in depth ones later.

Going to Disneyland in December with the wife and 9 yr old daughter. We have two days slotted for Disney and are doing it midweek. Probably looking at either M-T or T-W. It seems in my little bit of research that there should be lighter crowds at this time, but I'm still wondering if a two day park hopper will be enough? I don't want to just run run run the whole time, but also probably don't feel the need to ride everything. I know we will want to check out whatever Christmas things are going on.

Also, what boards would be good for questions on DLR? I know I'm going to have more in depth ones later.

I'd recommend three days for DLR, Disneyland is just PACKED with stuff.

For other boards for DLR I highly recommend the trip planning forums at MiceChat and The Dis.

Have a great trip!

Like TestTrack said, 3 days will keep you from too much running. To be quite honest, if you are going strictly by rides it will not take you too terribly long to get through DCA, but DL is a beast.

The boards TestTrack recommended are good and I have been going every year since I was four so I am happy to answer any questions you might have too.

Also, you can book meal reservations 60 days out so if you want to get a meal at Blue Bayou (I would recommend it for the ambiance alone) make sure you have that booked as soon as you know your dates.

It is such a good park, I hope you have a great trip!

Another vote for 3 days, though with so much closed now at DL,
if you skip everything that's the same or better in WDW you can do it in 2.

I have a book you might want to read...;-)

This might a stupid question but here goes:

Is the Beyond Disney book the unofficial guide to Universal plus SeaWorld, Busch and other attractions or is it slightly watered down?

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I guess the biggest question I have for now, other than how many days, is, is it worth it to stay at the DL hotels or is it fine staying across the street? If we do three days I can about guarantee we won't bother with the early morning extra hour, so thats not a big deal. I like being able to send purchases back to the room, but I don't know that for $150 a night I wouldn't just wait and make purchases on our way back to the hotel. But are there really any other benefits to staying on site? I can swing the extra cost, but at almost $500 difference for the duration, is anything really gained?

Also, if I were to decided to stay on site, when would hotel discounts likely go on sale for then if they are going to do any? Seems like they are just doing end of Summer sales right now.

Also, you can book meal reservations 60 days out so if you want to get a meal at Blue Bayou (I would recommend it for the ambiance alone) make sure you have that booked as soon as you know your dates.

I haven't even thought about dining yet. We usually don't bother booking dining in advance because we never know what mood we will be in. How bad are they for taking walk ups?

I'd recommend 3 days as well. I think this is a stupid question but have you been before?

No. Never have been to Cali at all. We did 5 days at WDW a few years back. The daughter doesn't really remember much of anything, so it will pretty much be all new even with close rides.

Another vote for 3 days, though with so much closed now at DL,
if you skip everything that's the same or better in WDW you can do it in 2.

I have a book you might want to read...;-)

I didn't event realize you had a DL book. I'll have to order one. But do I get the 2016 book or the 2017 book? lol

I'd recommend three days for DLR, Disneyland is just PACKED with stuff.

For other boards for DLR I highly recommend the trip planning forums at MiceChat and The Dis.

Have a great trip!

Another vote for 3 days here, and I'll second The Dis as well. They also have some great podcasts on Disneyland if you want something to listen to on your commute or other downtime.

Don't forget you have the holiday offerings of The Haunted Holiday Mansion and It's A Small Holiday World. :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I guess the biggest question I have for now, other than how many days, is, is it worth it to stay at the DL hotels or is it fine staying across the street? If we do three days I can about guarantee we won't bother with the early morning extra hour, so thats not a big deal. I like being able to send purchases back to the room, but I don't know that for $150 a night I wouldn't just wait and make purchases on our way back to the hotel. But are there really any other benefits to staying on site? I can swing the extra cost, but at almost $500 difference for the duration, is anything really gained?

Also, if I were to decided to stay on site, when would hotel discounts likely go on sale for then if they are going to do any? Seems like they are just doing end of Summer sales right now.

I haven't even thought about dining yet. We usually don't bother booking dining in advance because we never know what mood we will be in. How bad are they for taking walk ups?

No. Never have been to Cali at all. We did 5 days at WDW a few years back. The daughter doesn't really remember much of anything, so it will pretty much be all new even with close rides.

I didn't event realize you had a DL book. I'll have to order one. But do I get the 2016 book or the 2017 book? lol

Let's take your questions in order of asking

First of all, hotels: I really like the Disneyland Hotel as it is within 10 minute walking distance of the park. The other advantages are the pools, being able to drink at Trader Sam's (which is a great place to grab a drink and small plates meal) without having to go anywhere, and the one hour early entry every day of your visit. This early entry time can be key for getting through the Fantasyland rides and getting your whole family together or Radiator Springs Racers without a ridiculously long wait. Granted, if you get a 3 day pass you automatically get one day early entry so mileage will vary on that benefit.

As far as early entry goes, I recommend you do early entry at least one day (whether you stay on site or just use the ticket option) as it will allow you to get through the very popular/low capacity Fantasyland rides before the regular guests get into the park. These rides DO NOT have any Fastpass so hitting them during early entry is rather ideal.

As far as hotel discounts, given that it is the holiday season I would be surprised if you found any, but I they do occasionally pop up (read as, no guarantees of anything).

For meals, the only two restaurants you would NEED a reservation at are Blue Bayou and Carthay Circle Theater (assuming you want to eat at them) as those two book up early; the rest are easy enough to do walk up eating. Of the two, I would recommend Blue Bayou for ambiance (it is located INSIDE the Pirates of the Caribbean ride) and Carthay Circle for food (duck wings for the win!). Given your daughter's age and that it is your first visit, I would highly recommend Blue Bayou as it is always cool watching the boats float by.

One more thing to point out is that Disneyland has single rider lines on Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure, and The Matterhorn Bobsleds while California Adventure has single rider lines on Radiator Springs Racers, California Screaming, Goofy's Sky School, Grizzly River Run, and Soarin' Around the World so try to use those to your advantage, if possible. Utilizing single rider lines, Fastpass, and early entry my wife and I were able to see 2 parades, see the fireworks, see Fantasmic, see Mickey and the Magical Map, see the Royal Theatre Presents: Frozen, have a nice sit down meal at Blue Bayou, and still get on 21 rides during a level 9 busy day (according to Touringplan's attendance numbers).

Beyond Disney has a greatly abridged version of the Unofficial Guide to Universal, plus SeaWorld, Busch, and a ton of I Drive and other local attractions. Buy them both! ;-)

Spoken like a true salesman. I was literally about to buy the Universal book until I seen the 2017 is about to drop.

This should kill some time on the flight over.

Edit: Any chance it will be out before Friday?

Just ordered it on Amazon. It says I could have it tomorrow if I wanted to pay for overnight shipping. I figure I can wait till next week. It says there is a Kindle version too that you can get now if you are into that kinda thing.

Spoken like a true salesman. I was literally about to buy the Universal book until I seen the 2017 is about to drop.

This should kill some time on the flight over.

Edit: Any chance it will be out before Friday?
DL book should be shipping now, I got my copies this week.
I finished writing the Universal book at 4:45am yesterday ;-)
Should be back from the printer in late Oct/early Nov.

Yeah, I'm up to the Uni studios portion. It's making me rethink my approach to the parks that is for sure. Theres a few things I would have never known till it was too late. I'm making the wife read it after I'm done. lol