Disney's Polynesian Village Resort | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's Polynesian Village Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 8, 2010
Portland, OR
From the Disney Parks Blog:

Earlier today, Walt Disney World Resort President George A. Kalogridis announced some news about one of our most iconic resort hotels – Disney’s Polynesian Resort. As part of a complete re-imagining, Disney’s Polynesian Resort is returning to its original, 1971 opening day name: Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort.

The sweeping renovation, happening now, also includes a new food and beverage experience opening for guests next year, Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto — based on the popular themed lounge at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, Calif. There’s going to be lots more updates on this beachside family favorite, so stay tuned.
PSL7696521THUMB.jpg

PRU9769563THUMB.jpg

PRG0879653THUMB.jpg

PRG0879657THUMB.jpg

I am very excited about Trader Sam's! I looks much smaller though. I do not like that they are getting rid of the water feature.
It's actually going to be slightly larger from what i've heard. Inside will be about the same space-wise, but there will be a much larger outdoor area at the Poly.

The indoor water feature is what I love about that place.

Same, it's like getting rid of the fireplace and springs in Wilderness Lodge IMHO. I feel like the name change is to placate fans. But w/e, I hope the rumor about Trader Sams being more family friendly isn't true, as the one at DLR is a happy break from children.

Same, it's like getting rid of the fireplace and springs in Wilderness Lodge IMHO. I feel like the name change is to placate fans. But w/e, I hope the rumor about Trader Sams being more family friendly isn't true, as the one at DLR is a happy break from children.

I'm sure it's going to be semi-family friendly. Maybe some sort of "No Children after 10pm" deal could be in place, though.

I do love Trader Sam's over at DLR. Not sure why the resort needed a name change too though.

I do love Trader Sam's over at DLR. Not sure why the resort needed a name change too though.
It's not so much of a change as it is reverting back to what it originally was.

Also, I highly doubt there will be a no children policy at any time. Trader Sam's at DL doesn't have any sort of rule like that and runs just fine.

It's not so much of a change as it is reverting back to what it originally was.

Also, I highly doubt there will be a no children policy at any time. Trader Sam's at DL doesn't have any sort of rule like that and runs just fine.

Originally was? Huh? It's a name change as it's a focus more on Hawaii than the JC/Tiki.

Also, they do have a no children after 4pm rule per my friends at DLR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally was? Huh? It's a name change as it's a focus more on Hawaii than the JC/Tiki.

Also, they do have a no children after 4pm rule per my friends at DLR.
From 1971-1985, the resort carried the "Polynesian Village" title.

And I wasn't aware of that. Will be interesting if there's any sort of restriction here.

From 1971-1985, the resort carried the "Polynesian Village" title.

And I wasn't aware of that. Will be interesting if there's any sort of restriction here.

Oh, thought you meant the name change of Trader Sam's. Sorry, read it wrong!

And thanks Skipper Justin, got the time wrong but yes there's an age limit. I hope the same applies at WDW.

I'd love it if they did that, but it may prove to be bad for business. Splitsville is 21+ after 10 at all of their operating locations except WDW and they enforce a dress code on the weekends, which they also don't do at WDW. They closed the clubs because, whether one wants to face it or not, they weren't making much money and it was a business that involved a lot of work.

What i'm meaning to say is, there's no precedent set for me to have any reason to believe there will be an age restriction.