Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Doctor Sleep

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
It has been just revealed that Warner Brothers and Stephen King are collaborating on the official sequel to Stephen Kings iconic story of The Shining to movie adaptation with Doctor Sleep.

‘Six Billion Dollar Man’ Gets Pushed To Summer 2020 As Pic Looks For New Director | Deadline

Directed by Mike Flanagan (Ouija: Origin of Evil, Oculus, E.T.C.) with Akiva Goldsman co-adapting the king sequel, the film will be slated to come out on January 24th, 2020.

....Well, what do you think? Does Doctor Sleep make sense to be adapted, are you surprised of WB and King working on something Shining-related together again, or are you bored of King adaptions? Comment down below!

It has been just revealed that Warner Brothers and Stephen King are collaborating on the official sequel to Stephen Kings iconic story of The Shining to movie adaptation with Doctor Sleep.

‘Six Billion Dollar Man’ Gets Pushed To Summer 2020 As Pic Looks For New Director | Deadline

Directed by Mike Flanagan (Ouija: Origin of Evil, Oculus, E.T.C.) with Akiva Goldsman co-adapting the king sequel, the film will be slated to come out on January 24th, 2020.

....Well, what do you think? Does Doctor Sleep make sense to be adapted, are you surprised of WB and King working on something Shining-related together again, or are you bored of King adaptions? Comment down below!
Bored of King adaptions

I was not a fan of the novel (outside of a select few moments and the overall characterization of Danny), but I am a fan of Mike Flanagan, and he looks to have pulled this off. I love that they're using Kubrick's version of the Overlook Hotel and appear to be making this a proper sequel to that movie (despite some particulars of the novel not matching up).

For those of you interested, on October 1 in some theaters they're showing The Shining restored in 4K along with an exclusive trailer for Doctor Sleep. I'm so pumped for the movie because all of the footage I've seen thus far gives me faith the this new story will do the original film justice.

I saw it with a half full theater last Thursday (which is surprising for such an old movie on a week night) and it was one of my favorite theater experiences.

The Shining 4K Remaster Gets Theatrical Release Before Blu-ray

Really empty especially since the movie just came out as well. I saw a early screening on October 30th and thought it was wonderful. Easily my movie of the year.

It's not doing that well at the Box office, please go check it out as it is fantastic.

Saw it today and will prolly catch it again in Dolby with alist. I really liked it and could see it making a good hhn house if they ever get the opportunity to tackle it.

It is a real shame more people arent going out there and seeing this.

I liked this quite a bit, though the inherent tension of trying to honor both Stephen King's written works and Stanley Kubrick's version of THE SHINING (which is a vision fundamentally different from King's) makes it a bit of an awkward watch at times.

Rebecca Ferguson gives one of my favorite performances of the year.

Yes, it's an easy recommendation. I got to see an advance screening on Oct. 30. Not my favorite horror film of the year (That's still Midsommar), but it's still very good. Manages to make peace between King's Shining and Kubrick's Shining. Not an easy task, but Flanagan pulls it off with ease. Dude has skills!

I saw it over the weekend and The Shining is one of my favorite movies and it felt like it did the movie and the book justice. IT Chapter 2 feels like a worse conclusion of its story when I watched how Doctor Sleep wraps everything together.

Mentioned me seeing this in the HHN 30 spec discussion, but I guess I just really wanted to talk more about it. I love how character driven this movie was, despite it still having pretty scary parts. Then again, that is Flanagan's forte.

However, I think I needed a movie like this right now. Gonna put the rest of this under spoiler because it deals with heavy stuff.
I started self harming when I was 14 after some really horrific stuff happened and I only just now began taking steps to become sober. I've relapsed quite a few times now and I was just starting to think it was worthless. However, seeing Danny's addiction and sobriety be a huge focus of this movie made me realize that I can do this. Like, if he could stay sober and resist temptation during these events, I can certainly maintain my sobriety in my own life.

Is Doctor Sleep my favorite film of the year? Not even close (that honor goes to Parasite). There are some flaws, but it definitely was the film I needed the most.

Shame this probably won’t have a hhn maze. Rose The Hat’s followers being a mannequin room with a few of them being actual actors would’ve been tons of fun.

Without spoilers, those who have seen the movie, is it as soaked in twelve-step evangelism as the book was?

Definitions of "soaked" will vary. The movie has two semi-significant scenes at AA meetings early on, and AA is shown as having cleaned up Dan pretty effectively, but that stuff is out of the movie beyond the 30 minute mark.

Definitions of "soaked" will vary. The movie has two semi-significant scenes at AA meetings early on, and AA is shown as having cleaned up Dan pretty effectively, but that stuff is out of the movie beyond the 30 minute mark.
The book was the only King I put down without finishing, and the constant AA references were the reason.

ETA: I wasn't asking in order to offend, but I've worked for more than a decade in an office almost entirely filled with drug addicts and sober house residents, and the shop talk - which I wouldn't ask them to stop for the world - drives me insane after a while.

Last edited:
The book was the only King I put down without finishing, and the constant AA references were the reason.

ETA: I wasn't asking in order to offend, but I've worked for more than a decade in an office almost entirely filled with drug addicts and sober house residents, and the shop talk - which I wouldn't ask them to stop for the world - drives me insane after a while.

In that context, it’s more of setting up of where Danny has been all of these years and a part of his arc. I wouldn’t consider it overwhelming because the narrative is very tight and focused on him, Abra and Rose.