Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

DTD Rumor/Expansion

Jul 24, 2012
From WDWMagic (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/major-dtd-update.843897/)

Very sorry if this has already been posted but I've lost all stamina to keep up with the reading around here so I'll try to limit my posting to when I have new, legitimate news/rumors. Today it's two pieces of info about DTD.

I've been told that the DTD expansion will include, at the very least, a parking structure and a new on/off ramp directly to/from I-4. The expansion will include various efforts to make DTD the "go-to" entertainment venue for locals.

The budget is estimated to be somewhere in the "New Fantasyland" range.

Thoughts? I'm not believing it, honestly. I just don't see an expansion happening at DTD.

So adding a ramp from I-4 to DTD and adding parking space will be as much as the New Fantasyland? I can't buy that. I just can't imagine something so simple to be that much money. And to be honest they need to improve their product before they do that.

The parking "issue" at DTD is SO overblown. Outside of the Market Place there are plenty of spots.

Anyway, whatever. I'm beyond caring about DTD. If they sink this much money into it, it just means less going to the parks where it's needed.

The parking "issue" at DTD is SO overblown. Outside of the Market Place there are plenty of spots.

Anyway, whatever. I'm beyond caring about DTD. If they sink this much money into it, it just means less going to the parks where it's needed.

Well, make people wanna visit something other than the Market Place, and problem solved.

Also, it appears similar info was posted at this site earlier in the year:
http://www.disneygossip.com/2012/04/major-changes-planned-for-downtown.html?m=1

dtd-rumor2.jpg

Last edited:
IMO, the parks where guests pay $90 a day to visit should take precedent over a glorified mall TDO destroyed.

For $10m or less they could have PI back up and running. The problems at the parks and transportation run deeper.

I don't think this should happen in place of any park upgrades. But DTD needs help, and can be a park of major improvements around the resort.

The new off-ramp is an almost 90% certainty to happen, although the placement in the image a few posts above is wrong. It won't be a brand new ramp directly off of I-4, it will rather be an expansion of the 536 off-ramp. It would go off right after the 536/EPCOT split and run between Typhoon Lagoon and hit Buena Vista Drive at Entrance #4 (stoplight in front of Cirque). I think the Hess is very unlikely to leave, and the first parking garage would not likely have an immediate off-ramp from I-4, mainly because of traffic flow issues.

My question is that if they can't fill the old Pleasure Island, what makes them think they are going to be able to fill a giant 2 story shopping and dining expansion?

No clue. I think there are only 2 things that could do that. The economy having a massive, sudden recovery, or Disney realizing the rent they're asking is just too high. The chances of either happening...slim to none.

The only other thing that could drive some interest by third parties again is if they actually bring in a third party to reopen Comedy Warehouse and Mannequin's like some whispers are suggesting. And no, if you're a fan of the old AC, don't get your hopes up. Disney won't do it again, and a 3rd party probably won't want to either.

The new off-ramp is an almost 90% certainty to happen, although the placement in the image a few posts above is wrong. It won't be a brand new ramp directly off of I-4, it will rather be an expansion of the 536 off-ramp.

Maybe in a decade it's certain to happen. New off ramps and things like that take feasibility studies and government approval. Will be a WHILE before that all gets done.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and talking to someone about this plan, all they said was "Bad."

And no, if you're a fan of the old AC, don't get your hopes up. Disney won't do it again, and a 3rd party probably won't want to either.

And yet, Disney is doing it again...in Hong Kong, and 3rd parties wanted to run it at PI in 2008. And they opened a similar yet lesser experience in Disneyland last year. Pride is the only thing that prevents it in Florida.

No clue. I think there are only 2 things that could do that. The economy having a massive, sudden recovery, or Disney realizing the rent they're asking is just too high. The chances of either happening...slim to none.

rent1.jpg

I get the point of CityWalk. It's RIGHT there on your way in and out of the parks. It's purpose is clear; to keep people on property while giving them convenient dining and shopping options. DTD is so out of the way, 192 for a lot of hotel guest is closer than DTD so why not just go there?

rent1.jpg

I get the point of CityWalk. It's RIGHT there on your way in and out of the parks. It's purpose is clear; to keep people on property while giving them convenient dining and shopping options. DTD is so out of the way, 192 for a lot of hotel guest is closer than DTD so why not just go there?

[video=youtube;fjbMKO6hOOk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjbMKO6hOOk[/video]

IMO, the parks where guests pay $90 a day to visit should take precedent over a glorified mall TDO destroyed.

For $10m or less they could have PI back up and running. The problems at the parks and transportation run deeper.

This! Not understanding the rumor at all. People come for the parks and in order to get their attention you must build new attractions not shopping and DVC units oh wait... Ok now I understand why some people believe this rumor. It's what they have come to expect from TDO. IMO don't tear down the trees to build a parking garage, bulldoze TDO's front office.

If this is true, there needs to be A reason to go there. It can't just be an "in addition" to what we offer. Shops and Dining are nice, but it'd be pointless to spend all that money and resources to alleviate a small traffic issue that only arises during the insane times.

It's also perfectly acceptable to have DTD has just as an "in addition", and not go all-in like this rumored expansion suggests. Just fix up the Pleasure Islands side of things and you are on the right track.

And please don't say DisneyQuest brings people....