Dune (2021) | Inside Universal Forums

Dune (2021)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
and we have our first glimpse of the trailer:

I know this is going to look amazing, I just hope it has the story to make it epic.

My uncle was really into the books back in the day, and convinced me to see the David Lynch version in the theater when it came out. It did NOT inspire me to read the books. Although I am a huge Lynch fan, I just pretend Dune doesn't exist.

That said, I will be seeing this in the theaters.

Reactions: Teebin
My uncle was really into the books back in the day, and convinced me to see the David Lynch version in the theater when it came out. It did NOT inspire me to read the books. Although I am a huge Lynch fan, I just pretend Dune doesn't exist.

That said, I will be seeing this in the theaters.

Yeah, I was trying to recall the film and all that I can remember is that I couldn't make a connection with any of the characters... not one endearing person among them. An unfocused mess is what I recall.

I read the books so the movie made sense to me, but as a movie it wasn't great.
This is a complex, meticulous but very intriguing world that Frank Herbert created. There is a religion awaiting it's Kwizats Haderach (messiah) (who they will fear), the natives of Dune awaiting their new leader, a planet that literally fuels the economy and makes space folding possible and is a target for a war and a family drama as they are forced to moved to Arrakis (aka Dune). And this is just scratching the surface and I love it.

Reactions: Disneyhead
Reports are circulating that things are still not settled with Dune as far as going to HBO Max. Dennis Villenueve doesn't want it, but Legendary now has even more of a case to make for exclusive release after the surprise success that was Godzilla v. Kong considering when released, many weren't even eligible to get a vaccine yet.

With HBO Max saying something like 4.2M watched it on HBO Max, they definitely lost out on probably at least $10M in theatrical money. Sure, a lot of those may have been people watching after seeing it in theaters or just people randomly deciding to put it on, but having that decision means that people won't be going back to theaters for second and third viewings since they can watch at home.

If I had to predict, i'd say that HBO Max will be pulling Dune from their release promos by June.

In the original HBO Max announcement, the fine print did specify "Title Availability Subject to Change," or something along those lines. So WB did reserve the right to withhold certain films from the HBO Max slate in favor of purely theatrical runs.

In the original HBO Max announcement, the fine print did specify "Title Availability Subject to Change," or something along those lines. So WB did reserve the right to withhold certain films from the HBO Max slate in favor of purely theatrical runs.
The movie also doesn't come out until October 1st, meaning things should be relatively normal by then and theaters will likely be filling almost all the way up again. But speaking of October, it's never been the best month for the theatrical box office aside from a few exceptions like Venom and Joker, which opened with $80M and $96M (and Joker would go on to leg it's way out to over $1B worldwide thanks to being an awards play).

Since October has never been that big of a movie-going month to begin with though aside from horror movies or movies with a darker tinge, which correlates with why Venom and Joker opened so well (along with them both being based off of comic book properties), it means that every ticket is important. So if this movie were to open on HBO Max in a landscape where it's perfectly healthy to go to a theater, that's eating away at a box office number that's already sort of got a rough ceiling on it just because of the time period that it's being released during.

I do think NO TIME TO DIE could/will significantly dent its box office the very next weekend, but that's not a reason not to open it only in theaters.

I do think NO TIME TO DIE could/will significantly dent its box office the very next weekend, but that's not a reason not to open it only in theaters.
I mean, it definitely is. With a situation like that, you're gonna want to maximize your opening weekend.

I don't think we're disagreeing. DUNE could/should open exclusively in theaters to get as big a bite as it can before competition arrives.
I'm against Day/Date now that we're seeing that theaters aren't dead. Universal probably has the best model going right now - 17 day window for films that open to less than $50M and 31 day window if over $50M. 31 days may be a bit too soon (Paramount's 45 days is another route to go), but a month or month and a half of theatrical exclusive and then to HBO Max is what it should be imo.

I wonder if Disney is regretting doing Black Widow day/date already.

Reactions: tielo and belloq87
I absolutely love Denis Villeneuve - there hasn’t been a movie he’s made that I disliked (maybe Enemy, but even that had some solid moments).

But….even with the stellar cast, I just can’t get excited for this. It just feels like a more artistic version of John Carter.

I realize that’s shortchanging the source material, but I don’t know why I can’t get pumped for the movie.