EPCOT Center-Why the fuss? | Inside Universal Forums

EPCOT Center-Why the fuss?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Did/do you hate the name change?

• Yes

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Wasn't alive at the time, it's always been Epcot for me

Votes: 38 56.7%

• Total voters
Feb 1, 2008
South FL
Maybe it's because the name change occured before I was born, but I seriously don't get why so many fans are wishing it was still called EPCOT Center. With the change from MGM to DHS, I was a little weirded out for a week then got used to it. So why do people wish Epcot was called the same thing it was back in the 80's?

Some people, more commonly Disney fan boys, are just obnoxious and like to ***** about tiny things they have no control over. I don't understand why the CENTER even matters because I'm willing to bet they never said "Let's go to EPCOT Center." It was "Let's go to EPCOT.", kind of like how you rarely hear people say "Let's go to the WALT Disney World Resort." -- it's just "Disney World". I think the people that complain about the EPCOT Center name and still refer to it as that are just doing it to make themselves sound like holier-than-thou Disney fans, basically trying to show off, just because they remember the old name. :doh:

Personally I always refer to it as EPCOT.. "Let's go to EPCOT." and all that...
But I won't lie, I do like seeing the classic EPCOT Center on the merchandise.
Like the old school shirts and stuff they have out now.
It is just so 80's-tastic.. love it.

Because come on... doesn't everyone feel like Future World is still pretty much frozen in '82. I do, but I also think it is part of it's charm as well...

I didn't even realize it was a big deal for some people. I've never called it Epcot Center. Call me lazy but I've always found it easier to just say "Epcot". lol

Don't get me wrong. I like the EPCOT Center name, but I'm not going to complain about it. They really should call it EPCOT at least though. It is/was an acronym after all.

I love the old name (I have the new hat with the old logo), but more importantly I love the old park. Still, the current Epcot is as good as WDW gets.

I allways call it Epcot, but I still like Epcot Center but I wont beeyatch about it. I dont really care, as long as Epcot's still there.

:thumbs:

Reactions: 1 person
ill agree with patch. you know its one of those weird facts...but does it realllly matter? Epcot City was never built and well - WHO cares! heck...thats why it has taken me so long to reply to this thread! lol.

When you think about it, the Epcot park that we all know and love is NOT the same as Walt Disney's EPCOT Center. His idea was for a real working Utopian city where people would live and work. That idea never happened, therefore calling the current theme park EPCOT Center is, in a way, incorrect. And like everyone else says, we just call it Epcot anyways.

Fun Fact: You can see a model of Walt Disney's EPCOT Center on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority (most of you probably know this).

Let a real Disney Geek do a little clarification. Walt never proposed EPCOT Center. Just EPCOT. As in Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. The Park that Became EPCOT Center was named that way appropriately because it is the CENTER of what could be concidered Walt's EPCOT Where areas such as Celebration and Cast Member Housing come into the mix.
I don't mind the dropping of the word "Center" from the name. But I do dislike how they no longer capitalize all the letters of EPCOT, as in Epcot. EPCOT is an acronym and all the letters should be capitalized.

There actually was a very important reason for the word "Center" being added to the name when we opened "EPCOT Center" in 1982. Back in the '60's, EPCOT was Walt Disney's original concept for the "Florida project". His vision was to create an innovative city, which would include living, working and entertainment all in one place. This city would occupy much of the land we now call Walt Disney World, and would be called EPCOT. When he died in 1969, his vision for EPCOT died with him, and no one fully understood it enough to carry on and create the original idea. Most of the leadership of the company in 1982 were closely associated with Walt and understood what EPCOT really meant. Ron Miller the President of the company then was Walt's son-in-law, and Card Walker the CEO was a close friend of Walt's. So when the decision was made to build the second park at WDW and it was decided to use the name EPCOT, the word "Center" was added to more accurately communicate that this was not EPCOT as Walt envisioned, but rather "EPCOT Center" a new theme park that captured some of the spirit of Walt's original concept. SO dropping the word "Center" was a big deal to some of us, as it represented a further removal of a reverence to Walt and the history of the company, that seems less and less important with each passing year.

I still have a habit of calling it "EPCOT Center," but it doesn't really bother me either way. Of course, when I was little I use to think that the park was called "EPCOT" and that "EPCOT Center" was Spaceship Earth. I didn't realize until I was in high school that it was actually Spaceship Earth. :bonk:

I agree with peaches though, I really like all the retro merchandise. I just wish the woman's selection was better.