Epcot (General Discussion) | Page 132 | Inside Universal Forums

Epcot (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

That's a pretty wonderful likeness. Depending on how it's staged in the park, and how close you can get to it, I can see it becoming a popular photo spot for guests.

The art shows where it will be - out in the parking lot by the gravity building.....
Probably him staring at the building thinking "why?"

Reactions: GAcoaster
I think Walt Disney would have been extremely impressed with EPCOT Center had he gotten to experience it in 1982... and was never told (or saw) the name.
The center of E.P.C.O.T. was planned to have recreational activities, as well as international village with European streets for different restaurants. Honestly feel he would’ve been flattered. They built the center part, but didn’t feel they could do the city without him.

The center of E.P.C.O.T. was planned to have recreational activities, as well as international village with European streets for different restaurants. Honestly feel he would’ve been flattered. They built the center part, but didn’t feel they could do the city without him.
This^^^. EPCOT, the Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow consisted of the center portion (themed entertainment and dining) and surrounding residential areas.

Not to be pedantic, but this drives me crazy...

Screenshot-20220910-004346.jpg

No. "EPCOT Center" opened on October 1, 1982. And the Fandom keeps repeating ad nauseum, that Epcot isn't "EPCOT", as if Disney failed on the mission. But the Florida Project, as a whole, is EPCOT, and the park is, or was supposed the be the center of it (that is why it is so far from the MK). Thus, "EPCOT Center". And inclusive of Celebration, Golden Oaks, the CP Housing, and a couple of thousand DVC Condos, they have residential covered. Throw in the Reedy Creek infrastructure and I think you are really coming close to where Walt was headed with the idea. I do think Disney failed miserably on the master planning in regards to a transportation network. I think that is where Walt would be most disappointed with the current state of WDW. What with his love for trains, and monorails, and boats, and horse drawn trolleys and what not.

Last edited:
I find it fascinating that when they designed EPCOT Center in the late 70's, there was still a plan to essentially make it one of the "flower petals" radiating out from the center of the City of EPCOT.

I feel like Epcot as Disney wanted it would have turned into a dystopian hell scape and possibly bankrupted the company

The statue is beautiful

I've seen some chatter online about "it should have been Marty or someone else."

I mean, it could have been others but Walt is the "god king" of Disney so I'm not sure why they wouldn't have a statue of him.

Reactions: Darko and GA-MBIT
EPCOT, as a city, was never a practical idea and the Imagineers soon figured that out. They could build a city but the E,P and T would have gone away. As John Hench (The main person behind "that painting") said 'You cannot experiment with peoples lives'.

EPCOT, as a city, was never a practical idea and the Imagineers soon figured that out. They could build a city but the E,P and T would have gone away. As John Hench (The main person behind "that painting") said 'You cannot experiment with peoples lives'.
But Disney says Celebration is the spirit of Walt's vision of EPCOT. I'm sure somewhere they say the same about Golden Oak... :D

But Disney says Celebration is the spirit of Walt's vision of EPCOT. I'm sure somewhere they say the same about Golden Oak... :D
Basically thats the best you can get in terms of "forward thinking" - imagine living in a city where the transportation is constantly down, the garbage disposal backs up, the A/C goes on the fritz --- all of this would be EPCOT today if they had built it based on "futuristic" 1972 technology. It's not for no reason that Disney abandoned their transportation division.

Every new bathroom and trash can is "Walt's vision"..it's a trite Imagineering statement reserved for lackluster projects

The only thing Walt truly wanted was his dystopian city and cigarettes