Expanding Disney's Water Parks? | Inside Universal Forums

Expanding Disney's Water Parks?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Apr 26, 2013
Will they ever expand the two waterparks there excellent just now but surely there is scope to expand at least one of them??

Will they ever expand the two waterparks there excellent just now but surely there is scope to expand at least one of them??

You can really never say never but who knows. Heck they could even build a third one for matter. Not saying there are, just saying anything is possible in the future

I've always been curious, have both BB and TL ever seen new slide/attractions since they opened? I haven't been to either for over a decade now, but checking out the maps online there doesn't seem to have been much change.

I've always been curious, have both BB and TL ever seen new slide/attractions since they opened? I haven't been to either for over a decade now, but checking out the maps online there doesn't seem to have been much change.

I know Crush n' Gusher was added to TL in 2005, but other than that I can't find anything.

The only ones I can think of are TL adding Crush and Gusher water coaster and BB adding the Downhill Double Dipper at some point, maybe even some more in the kids area but im not 100% sure on that. Im about 99% sure the DDD wasn't there on my visits shortly after the water park opened in the 90s

- - - Updated - - -

I know Crush n' Gusher was added to TL in 2005, but other than that I can't find anything.

:lol: beat me to it.

Love Typhoon and Blizzard, but yes, both should get some new stuff.

They're both great parks for theming, but they just need a few new slides that we've seen open at Wet 'n Wild and Aquatica over the years. But considering Disney's current predicament with DHS and DAK, I think we're way off seeing anything at any of the water parks.

They're both great parks for theming, but they just need a few new slides that we've seen open at Wet 'n Wild and Aquatica over the years. But considering Disney's current predicament with DHS and DAK, I think we're way off seeing anything at any of the water parks.

I'm probably wrong, but I've been under the impression that water slides are significantly cheaper attractions to build.

I'm probably wrong, but I've been under the impression that water slides are significantly cheaper attractions to build.

Although I don't the exact figures, it think its safe to say that watersides are a lot cheaper to build than an attraction. Now if you were to compare the cost of a ride like Kang and Kodos to the Master Blaster slides at Typhoon Lagoon you might not be so far off since those are a little more pricey that your average slide.

But the problem is they really don't need anything. Disney puts them both down for proper refurbs every year, so we can't complain there. And really, they're always gonna be in the top 5 in the world because they're in Disney World. They're both pretty great overall, and really I don't think people expect a WnW type experience anyway. This is one case, where I can't be all that bad at Disney for not seeing the need to spend more. There's really no business reason for them to.

But the problem is they really don't need anything. Disney puts them both down for proper refurbs every year, so we can't complain there. And really, they're always gonna be in the top 5 in the world because they're in Disney World. They're both pretty great overall, and really I don't think people expect a WnW type experience anyway. This is one case, where I can't be all that bad at Disney for not seeing the need to spend more. There's really no business reason for them to.

Sure no business reason but for a fan of water parks it never hurts add new slides :smiley: Come to think of it, I dont think I have ever heard anyone complain about Disney not adding a new waterslide or anything for that matter to their water parks.

But isn't that the same kind of corporate arrogance/laziness that has really got Disney into the rut they're in now? The lack of investment WDW has seen in the past 10+ years has led to Universal's recent surge, with no sign of it letting up. Plus, all signals seem to be pointing toward a UOR expansion in the coming year, with a water park likely.

I don't think can rest on their laurels no more. Be it water parks or Magic Kingdom.

Sure no business reason but for a fan of water parks it never hurts add new slides :smiley: Come to think of it, I dont think I have ever heard anyone complain about Disney not adding a new waterslide or anything for that matter to their water parks.

Well then I'll be the first to complain.

I like both parks but feel Disney is so dang cheap to not add anything in over eight years! They make so much money off of those parks...heck, they're two of the most visited in the world and cost over $50 bucks a person to get in! Some of the best parks in America charge a good $10-$15 dollars less and have way more attractions. Look at Splashin' Safari, Noah's Ark, and Schlitterbahn: they'll drop a few million dollars every couple of years to keep the parks fresh. Why can't we at least get a new attraction ever 4-5 years at the Disney waterparks?

Reactions: ynnoj
But isn't that the same kind of corporate arrogance/laziness that has really got Disney into the rut they're in now? The lack of investment WDW has seen in the past 10+ years has led to Universal's recent surge, with no sign of it letting up. Plus, all signals seem to be pointing toward a UOR expansion in the coming year, with a water park likely.

I don't think can rest on their laurels no more. Be it water parks or Magic Kingdom.

But I see it as a different situation completely. To most guests, water parks aren't an every year thing. So it matters way less if there's always new stuff. Like Hockeyman said, the general public has really no problem with the lack of investment in the waterparks. There's simply just no demand for it. When and if Universal adds their waterpark, I agree it may force Disney's hand.

I don't think they're necessarily resting on laurels, just spending money where people want to see it more (debatable, I know. But you get the point.)

I would say that it would be in Disney's best interest to put all focus into the theme parks first, new water park additions should come in a bit later after that.

But I see it as a different situation completely. To most guests, water parks aren't an every year thing. So it matters way less if there's always new stuff. Like Hockeyman said, the general public has really no problem with the lack of investment in the waterparks. There's simply just no demand for it. When and if Universal adds their waterpark, I agree it may force Disney's hand.

I don't think they're necessarily resting on laurels, just spending money where people want to see it more (debatable, I know. But you get the point.)

I think if Disney only had the water parks to worry about, in a theoretical world, then yes they would need to worry about adding stuff to the water parks. But since its sort of an" extra" thing for guest to do on property they don't need to add something new every year to keep drawing guest, the theme parks do that for them. Same thing with Disney Quest. Opposite could be said for local water parks across the county like what I have right around the corner from me in the West Palm Beach area called the Rapids. They add new new slides almost every off season and its to attract the repeat guests since this is the only property they have to attract those people in. I could imagine if they went as long as Disney has without adding new slides the numbers would slip

I think if Disney only had the water parks to worry about, in a theoretical world, then yes they would need to worry about adding stuff to the water parks. But since its sort of an" extra" thing for guest to do on property they don't need to add something new every year to keep drawing guest, the theme parks do that for them. Same thing with Disney Quest. Opposite could be said for local water parks across the county like what I have right around the corner from me in the West Palm Beach area called the Rapids. They add new new slides almost every off season and its to attract the repeat guests since this is the only property they have to attract those people in. I could imagine if they went as long as Disney has without adding new slides the numbers would slip

You hit the nail on the head. Local water parks have to add things to get locals to come back. Disney is not trying to get locals with their water parks, they are trying to get their guests to add another day to their vacation by tacking on a water park. Remember a day added is hotel, food, spending, etc in addition to the price of the water park. Disney doesn't need to add anything to do that.

BTW, is the water park in West Palm any good? I have never heard of it, so that tells you how little they advertise to vacationers. We always say there is nothing to do in WPB and we go to relax :) Might have to visit the water park if it is any good for toddlers, my daughter loves water :)

You hit the nail on the head. Local water parks have to add things to get locals to come back. Disney is not trying to get locals with their water parks, they are trying to get their guests to add another day to their vacation by tacking on a water park. Remember a day added is hotel, food, spending, etc in addition to the price of the water park. Disney doesn't need to add anything to do that.

BTW, is the water park in West Palm any good? I have never heard of it, so that tells you how little they advertise to vacationers. We always say there is nothing to do in WPB and we go to relax :) Might have to visit the water park if it is any good for toddlers, my daughter loves water :)

https://www.rapidswaterpark.com/index.cfm

I haven't been since the 90s and I live about 4 miles away :lol: Hard to justify paying almost $50 to get in when I have passes for TL, BB and Aquatica and could spend a weekend in Orlando for what I would have to pay for the whole family to get in :lol: They have added some cool slides over the years and I always have every intention of visiting I just never do. I dotn think there is all that much for the little toddler age group, they have a few small things for the kids, nothing like the kids area like Aquatica has though.