Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Falcon's Fury

Feb 27, 2010
Oviedo, FL
From Screamscape:

2012 / 2013 - Drop Tower - Rumor - (9/19/11) I’m not sure how serious this rumor is, but someone is claiming that the park’s Sand Storm flat ride could be replaced by a new 200 foot drop tower ride, possibly very similar to the Mach Tower ride that just opened in Williamsburg last month. Anyone know more?

Thoughts?

Well with darkrides the apparent focus of the parks now what about a highly themed drop tower? I don't see Sandstorm leaving, its a favorite and was just totally refurbed from the ground up what 4 or 5 months ago. If anything Egypt or the Bird Gardens could use some love.

^I agree on the Bird Gardens thought. I've been wondering if they could squeeze a small flat or tower in the open patch where the flamingos are now, right next to the pond. That or, more likely, the open grassy area next to Xcursions. However they do it, adding an attraction to the Bird Gardens (potentially the rumored tower) would mean they wouldn't need to replace one of the few flat rides they have now.

Well with darkrides the apparent focus of the parks now what about a highly themed drop tower? I don't see Sandstorm leaving, its a favorite and was just totally refurbed from the ground up what 4 or 5 months ago. If anything Egypt or the Bird Gardens could use some love.

I don't think that it would ever work there. It would be a traffic nightmare and they would have to make room for it by removing something else.
The Rhino Rally area needs the love as well.

--- Update ---

^I agree on the Bird Gardens thought. I've been wondering if they could squeeze a small flat or tower in the open patch where the flamingos are now, right next to the pond. That or, more likely, the open grassy area next to Xcursions. However they do it, adding an attraction to the Bird Gardens (potentially the rumored tower) would mean they wouldn't need to replace one of the few flat rides they have now.

I don't think the bird gardens should have any ride, unless it is in the corner of Gwazi Park, a nice remodel of the bird gardens and show area with some bridges and more water features would be nice.

I would love a drop tower at Busch Gardens!

I've been wanting a free-fall tower at one of the Florida parks for a long time. As much as I like Tower of Terror, I find the free-fall experience to be more thrilling than the "faster than gravity" drop that TOT provides.

I haven't been to Jungala yet but doesn't that have a drop tower already?

I would love a drop tower at Busch Gardens!

I've been wanting a free-fall tower at one of the Florida parks for a long time. As much as I like Tower of Terror, I find the free-fall experience to be more thrilling than the "faster than gravity" drop that TOT provides.

Doom's Fear Fall?

--- Update ---

I haven't been to Jungala yet but doesn't that have a drop tower already?
Little itty bitty one thats hidden away, and it's not the same style.

Latest from Screamscape:

(9/21/11) Possibly backing up the rumor of a drop tower coming to the Tampa park, a reader reports that during the grand opening of Cheetah Hunt, they had a moment to speak with “the rides designer (forget his name)”, which I’m guessing may have been Mark Rose. In any case, when they asked him about what was coming next to the park he simply said to watch for what the other parks were getting to figure out what was coming next. Though with the problems the park had putting in Mach Tower in Williamsburg, I’m kind of surprised they would be ready to drop one into Tampa before they’ve had a good bit of time to give the first one a good shakedown. Anyway… this is all still just a rumor at this point, so stay tuned!

I don't mind the drop tower idea, but DO NOT remove The Sandstorm! It is a fun flat ride that is kid-friendly and the only one we have in any of central FL's parks. If The Sandstorm is taken out, then they better bring back The Black Mamba!

In regards to the 200 ft., I believe that's a FAA maximum in FL. SheiKra was initially planned to be taller, but had to be scaled down due to the silly FAA. I could be wrong though. If so, make the damn thing 400 ft tall!

I don't mind the drop tower idea, but DO NOT remove The Sandstorm! It is a fun flat ride that is kid-friendly and the only one we have in any of central FL's parks. If The Sandstorm is taken out, then they better bring back The Black Mamba!

In regards to the 200 ft., I believe that's a FAA maximum in FL. SheiKra was initially planned to be taller, but had to be scaled down due to the silly FAA. I could be wrong though. If so, make the damn thing 400 ft tall!

Oh I remember the Black Mamba, they had to keep a hose nearby :lol: As far as the FAA Maximum that only applies to parks that are within a certain distance to a major airport, other wise as long as the park puts a large beacon at the top there ok. Most parks in central Florida actually do everything they can to keep it under 200ft to avoid a beacon.

I think if they were to put up a drop tower in Sandstorm's spot, they'd probably relocate it, like they did with BGW's Le Catapult (to make room for Mäch Tower), maybe to Jungala or something (just a guess). I just can't see the park removing Sandstorm.

And count me as one of the people who would love a drop tower! :peace: