Fast & Furious: Supercharged/Nighttime Studio Tour | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

Fast & Furious: Supercharged/Nighttime Studio Tour

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The shipping containers in the background are the same as the ones near the exit of the ride

17119115750_bbb55837f5_b.jpg

Also here is the ride being tested

17306661375_848bba54c1_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess my question at this point is. Will King Kong now be 4K HD? Or are we going to need 2 different pairs of 3-D glasses.

They may switch to the higher quality glasses and upgrade Kong for it. Now that F&F will provide an incentive for guests to keep the glasses on board they don't have to worry about losing them.

They may switch to the higher quality glasses and upgrade Kong for it. Now that F&F will provide an incentive for guests to keep the glasses on board they don't have to worry about losing them.
But will this be done by June 25th? I tend to doubt it.

well for kong to be updated to 4k.... . i don't know if i'm correct, but don't they need just to upgrade the projector's  and install them ? if so i don't think it should take long for them to do that maybe a week?? im just talking out of my ass here but if anyone knows about the process more in detail please let me know.

3D technology and Video Resolution (SD, 2K, 4K, etc) are totally independent and separate. Supercharged will use the same Polarized 3D technology as King Kong and Shrek, but the resolution of the footage will be higher at 4K and use the most top of the line projectors. To update King Kong (if it is in fact 2K instead of 4k), they'd need to go back to the source footage and remaster the footage in 4k, and then update the projectors as well. "Simple" but would take a bit of time for remastering, installation and recalibration.

Although to be honest, I think Kong has maybe been 4K this entire time, as it's still pretty sharp and I've never been able to see "pixelation" that you normally would see in 2K footage. Some resolution just gets lost in 3D due to ghosting and the dim nature of polarized 3D. If Simpsons got to use 4K times four in 2008, I'm pretty sure Kong is 4K as well. I'd be interested to find out from Creative.

I'd really love to see Kong and Simpsons to at least receive brighter projectors.

Reactions: raffman
Images and videos for these type of applications are no longer traditional "4K," so using that type of terminology isn't correct. These screens are composed of multiple projectors that exceed traditional defined resolutions.

They're using multiple sources to create an incredibly high resolution canvas. King Kong far exceeds 4K.

Images and videos for these type of applications are no longer traditional "4K," so using that type of terminology isn't correct. These screens are composed of multiple projectors that exceed traditional defined resolutions.

They're using multiple sources to create an incredibly high resolution canvas. King Kong far exceeds 4K.
Obviously Kong exceeds that, but talking about each individual projector, 4k is still important.

You can have lots of VGA projectors exceed 4k too. I'm just saying that having each of those separate "segments" of the stitched image be 4k is important, as it would be higher quality than just a bunch of stitched 2K videos. I'm very curious to find out what the resolution is of each Kong "segment"

Reactions: 12th Man
This thing is incredibly complicated and is going to be breaking down a lot in the early days. Let's hope they have a protracted soft opening period.

Reactions: Ryan
I re-read the article and missed the part where the ride operates like a giant car-wash as the tram moves on an automated system. In that case, that is REALLY cool. That would solve lots of timing issues with the driver.

Reactions: 12th Man
I re-read the article and missed the part where the ride operates like a giant car-wash as the tram moves on an automated system. In that case, that is REALLY cool. That would solve lots of timing issues with the driver.

I wonder how they are going to do it.  

Is a computer going to communicate with the tram and the tram uses its own engine to move forward?  Or is there going to be a built in mechanical system to move trams through (eg, drive tires, cables, ect)?

I am very afraid of placing the Gringotts KUKA arm for F&F.  I can see it now...

-Stuck tram inside F&F.  

-Tram hits screen while exiting.

-Screen INOP similar to Gringotts.

-Only the first car is going to notice the effect!

Poor move to use this with trams.  IMO.

The guys at California Coaster Kings posted an April 25th update. It seems like a sort of cover was put up on top of the shipping containers in the exit of Superchared. 

"Exciting news, the Fast and Furious Supercharged (opening June 25th) exit is receiving some sort of cover. This picture was taken in the afternoon, when I rode Studio Tour at night a whole lot more was added already, but I couldn’t snap a picture of it."

CCK's update page: 

http://www.californiacoasterkings.com/universal-studios-hollywood-update-april-25th-2015/#more-11188

Cover on top of the shipping containers:

20150425_134223-Large.jpg