Favorite Horror Nights House Saga | Inside Universal Forums

Favorite Horror Nights House Saga

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Favorite HHN Story Arc

• All Night Die-In (13, 16, 25)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Body Collectors (13, 18, 25)

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Havoc (20, 23)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pychoscareapy (13, 16, 17, 20, 25)

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Screamhouse (12, 13, 16)

• The Walking Dead (22, 23, 24, 25)

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Run (11, 16, 25)

• S.S. Frightanic (8)

• Universal's 'Monster' Houses (5, 7, 9, 10, 21)

• Scary Tales (11, 12, 18, 25)

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
Aug 20, 2014
Horror Nights is around the corner...

Universal's A&D have created some awesome house/scarezone story arcs. What are some of your favs? :yikes:

My top 3
1. Scary Tales
2. Body Collectors
3. Pychoscareapy

The Walking Dead.

laugh-michael-scott.gif

No, but really. Body Collectors.

Reactions: RogueAntilles
Ooo, this is a fun little topic. Now personally for me, I'm not lumping scare zones in the mix since I feel those are a different beast. As a heads up, I'm basing my decisions on the overall quality of each house, does it offer new things each incarnation or does it rely on the same tricks etc.

1. Scary Tales - Admittedly this hits me on a personal level since twisted Fairy Tales is one of my favorite themes bar none. However even if I disreguard that fact, ST would still be number one since the three houses have been really solid, each one has been distinctively different and they've always brought several new things to it. Even when they repeat one of the tales in a house, they've changed it up in some fashion.

-Tie between Body Collectors and Screamhouse- This one is really hard for me to pick one over the other, so it's a tie. What can I say about BC? They took one of the creepiest characters to hit the airwaves from one of the best Buffy episodes, and made gory, gruesome houses with them. Definitely iconic, though not my personal number one since it does feel like they rely on that spine rip. (That and the past two houses having the same kind of medical theater setting/scares for that scene.) Yes, it's second to Sub Zero's but I feel they can come up with new horrific medical procedures to freak people out. Also, while the first BC was easily HOTY material and Recollections looked damn good, I will say Collections of the Past didn't stand out as much as the other two. While it was the best of the soundstage houses that year, 2008 was the year of Tent City and the Parade building.

Then we got Screamhouse, easily the best Icon house saga. Like with BC, Screamhouse has been wonderfully creepy and gruesome. Admittedly Screamhouse: Revisited was not as strong as it's other two incarnations (After all it was somewhat a rehash of the year before, that and it was pushed aside by houses like PS and Die In.) But the original and definitely Resurrection make this a great house saga.

So that's my top 3, Scary Tales, Body Collectors and Screamhouse. The Honorable mention would be Psychoscareapy, which is a fun saga, but is brought down by having a definitive "dud" of a house. (Echoes of Shadybrook, and I know a good amount who felt Home for the Holidays wasn't up to snuff either.) An' it's had more incarnations then a lot of the other sagas, so for some it's just gotten old.

Though it's still a honorable mention since the original was appropriately infamous, and when it comes to Maximum Madness that is still the best sequel house. That friggin' blackout still remains one of the best effects/show elements in any house.

To me Scary Tales has the best track record. 1, 2 and 3 were all A+ houses with a variety in use of the theme.

Body Collectors is a close second only because the 2008 sequel, Collections of the Past had great theming but weak scares.

Psychoscareapy has the longest story to date but Echoes of Shadybrook was weak and Home for the Holidays was cool but super short.

If I had to pick my next one it would def be Screamhouse. I actually wouldn't mind another trip into The Caretakers home.

Tough List but I have to go with

1) Psychoscareapy (I'm terrified of asylums so this hits a note for me)
2) Scary Tales
3) Body Collectors

I really wish I could put Run because I loved the first house so much but none of the others have captured the feelings of the first nor the atmosphere.

Of the options in the poll, here are the ones I have enjoyed:
  1. Universal's Classic Monsters - if the 2009 individual houses are included. If not, I'd drop this down to #5 or #6.
  2. Body Collectors - 'Collections of the Past' is one my top 10 all time HHN houses. Loved the back-story that year and the sets were beautiful.
  3. Scary Tales - would be my #1 or #2 if not for 2015's disappointing scare zone.
  4. Psychoscareapy - Loved 'Maximum Madness' and quite enjoyed 'Home for the Holidays.' But, 'Echoes' was awful and I wasn't a big fan of 2015's scare zone. IMO, this is the most overused original concept at HHN. Scary Tales is a close 2nd in that regard.
  5. All-Nite Die In - Not the most original concept for a haunted event, but almost always delivers. I enjoy when The Director is included.
  6. Screamhouse - My favorite HHN Icon is The Caretaker and I love the Screamhouse idea.

Scream House hands down is the best original haunted house with the best icon in terms of scares. I think that house is what brought HHN into its current level of detail and story development.

However, body collectors is my favorite character and story arc. The character design and back story is fantastic. Their houses are beautiful on so many levels but just not quite as 'scary' as scream house was. Scream House and the Caretaker had a real sense of 'this could be an actual psychotic person' to it that drew it over the top for me. The que video could of been a dateline special.