Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Fort Wilderness DVC

JungleSkip

Premium Member
Feb 15, 2010
The Mushroom Kingdom
Who's ready for more of Disney's BEST KEPT SECRET!?:deadhorse:

http://www.epcyclopedia.com/2012/04...derness-dvc-files-to-start-construction-soon/

Disney filed recently for permission to construct the necessary massive staging complex they need on the site of the former STOLport for their next planned Disney Vacation Club Resort at the site of the Fort Wilderness Campground. Disney has been slowing working in phased permits for the project over the course of 2011 and 2012.

The STOLport staging complex will house several single, double, and even a few quad-sized trailers (eleven in total) for third party contractors, Imagineering, and Hardin – the project’s master contractor. Hardin also recently oversaw the construction of the new Art of Animation resort as well as the Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort.

The first phases of the project are to prepare the Fort Wilderness area for the forthcoming DVC resort and recall permits that were filed late last year that have now faded into relative obscurity. First the stables and blacksmith area of the campground will be relocated to make room for whatever design they have for the forthcoming resort buildings – those plans specifically haven’t been filed and released (they’ll show up later this year or early 2013) – and then the shoreline will be reshaped as a parking area is added near the existing boat dock and a large dining hall will be added on the waterfront as pictured below.

I'm fine with this. Everytime my girlfriend's family wants to crash at FW, rooms are booked. More room the better.

Fort Wilderness is the camp ground, not the Lodge.

I think it's kind of terrible what they're doing to an idealic part of WDW.

And I have to say, the constant building of hotel rooms is getting tiring.

Fort Wilderness is the camp ground, not the Lodge.

I think it's kind of terrible what they're doing to an idealic part of WDW.

And I have to say, the constant building of hotel rooms is getting tiring.

I'm tired of it, too, but there seems to be a reason for it. People have always flooded in for WDW year after year. Now people flood in for both WDW and IOA and these people need places to stay. While Universal only has what, three hotels? Disney seems keen on capitalizing on the opportunity to house as many guests as possible to keep them close by. It's annoying for me, but I'm not the one after profits.

I'm tired of it, too, but there seems to be a reason for it. People have always flooded in for WDW year after year. Now people flood in for both WDW and IOA and these people need places to stay. While Universal only has what, three hotels? Disney seems keen on capitalizing on the opportunity to house as many guests as possible to keep them close by. It's annoying for me, but I'm not the one after profits.

I really don't give a flying *bleep* about the profits to be honest.:lol:

I've seen too many hotels spring up in the past 10 years and not enough new construction.

Plus, how long before this DVC bubble bursts? I mean it's gotta happen at some point, right?

I really don't give a flying *bleep* about the profits to be honest.:lol:

I've seen too many hotels spring up in the past 10 years and not enough new construction.

Plus, how long before this DVC bubble bursts? I mean it's gotta happen at some point, right?

Maybe then the rooms will actually become affordable... :happy: But, yes, I think all repeat visitors are growing tired of hotels.

The share holders and the company however do and in reality our voices matter VERY little when there is large amounts of money on the line.

Yup. Making the company public was the worst thing that ever happened to Disney. It was always gonna happen, but it destroyed the creativity.

But even then, the company and the shareholders needs to realize it's a creative enterprise, not a hotel chain.

Yup. Making the company public was the worst thing that ever happened to Disney. It was always gonna happen, but it destroyed the creativity.

But even then, the company and the shareholders needs to realize it's a creative enterprise, not a hotel chain.

Even if it wasn't publicly traded it still would have a large amount of hotel rooms. I don't think the emphasis would be nearly as heavy on the bottom line profits as it is now, but none the less they still do need to turn a profit.

I understand it, I agree with them from a business view. However, on the other side of the coin, I don't want the monopoly of the hotel industry in Orlando to be with Disney.

Sweet more DVC units!!!! To bad there not building anything in the parks to make me buy into the program.

I've actually heard this could be a good thing for FW. I mean, take emotion (of your hatred of DVC) out of this for a second and think. This is going to go in an area that has been vacated for 10+ years at this point and is eerily overgrown at this point. It's going to be away from the Main FW campsite so it shouldn't really interrupt any of that. Also, i've heard from Martin over at WDWMagic that this project could actually bring back the train to FW. How is that a bad thing? I know we can get emotional about these things, but sometimes you have to stop and think and wait to actually see the plans before bashing it for no reason.

Just like AoA, all it's doing is taking a plot of land that's been eerily vacated for years and actually making it useful again. Sure it's DVC, but at least the land will actually be used instead of sitting there vacant and as an eyesore. And again, if it does end up bringing the train back to FW, i'd consider that a decent win in the whole process right there.

Again, if we were talking about the Grand Floridian DVC, i'd fully understand the reason to complain, but I see a lot of potential with this. Besides the GREAT location, I hardly think it will disrupt the campsites.

They can't even fill the rooms they already have without discounts and free dining.

And what happens when DVC members start crying about how stale the parks are because of the neglect they've received since WDW became the timeshare kingdom of the world?

They can't even fill the rooms they already have without discounts and free dining.

And what happens when DVC members start crying about how stale the parks are because of the neglect they've received since WDW became the timeshare kingdom of the world?

glass-half-full.jpg

Soooo, correct me if I have read that wrong, but DVC buildings will take the place of the stables and blacksmith buildings? So we're looking at potentially no more petting zoo as well? I'm not too ok with this.

Soooo, correct me if I have read that wrong, but DVC buildings will take the place of the stables and blacksmith buildings? So we're looking at potentially no more petting zoo as well? I'm not too ok with this.
No, from what i've heard they're just moving them.

Wouldn't a Fort Wilderness DVC probably be one of the least desirable locations of all the DVC properties in WDW? Unless you want to make a campground your "home."

Actually I really like the vibe of Ft. Wilderness. It is one of the only really relaxing places left anywhere on property. I would take Ft. Wilderness over the abomination known as Art of Animation.