Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022) | Page 91 | Inside Universal Forums

Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yes, great that the attraction will be around, perhaps longer than some speculated. I'm curious as to whether this will be limited to some track replacement, or whether there will be story/thematic changes.
Myself, the Cup of coffee finale is my fav part of the ride. ...Now, if they do a storyline change, it could present itself as a marketing opportunity for Universal, namely the "New" Adventures of the Mummy. Anyway,
I'm just happy they're staying with this great attraction. I'd prefer the theme story/remain, with upgrades, but it still would be fine if they had a new story line.
They could go with a classic Universal Monster "Mummy" route...6 months feels like too long to simply just switch out effects, but too short for any kind of major overhaul of the ride storyline and queue

When a coaster goes down for six months, typically it's because some major track/infrastructure work needs to take place (stuff guests don't see)

Universal has in the past updated effects and such on a much faster timeline or during off hours. Especially with a headliner like Mummy

I don't really expect any big storyline changes or anything like that honestly. Feels like something Universal would have announced with the dates like they did with the Hulk revamp.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if they messed with the story and the finale. The context for the finale and several other scenes in the ride (cursed set, Reggie, Brendan's coffee, the medjai symbol, etc.) are only supplied by the video loop at the back of the queue. The line never backs up that far any more, so most guests don't even notice the video loop any more. Consequently, guests no longer receive any context for these scenes. The "cup of coffee" finale is a punchline missing its setup, and without that context seems completely out of place.

I don't expect they actually will make any storyline changes during this refurb, though.

Last edited:
Personally, I wouldn't mind if they messed with the story and the finale. The context for the finale and several other scenes in the ride (cursed set, Reggie, Brendan's coffee, the medjai symbol,etc.) are only supplied by the video loop at the back of the queue. The line never backs up that far any more, so most guests don't even notice the video loop any more. Consequently, guests no longer receive any context for these scenes. The "cup of coffee" finale is a punchline missing its setup, and without that context seems completely out of place.

I don't expect they actually will make any storyline changes during this refurb, though.
They don't really need to make many storyline changes. They can easily change it from "A cursed film set" to "Being in a tomb at the wrong place at the wrong time" with just a few changes. The biggest change would be at the end or perhaps at the beginning where they can just change it to make it look like a museum.

I know we all love the ending but I also wouldn't mind if they changed it to make the whole experience more cohesive.

They don't really need to make many storyline changes. They can easily change it from "A cursed film set" to "Being in a tomb at the wrong place at the wrong time" with just a few changes. The biggest change would be at the end or perhaps at the beginning where they can just change it to make it look like a museum.

I know we all love the ending but I also wouldn't mind if they changed it to make the whole experience more cohesive.
I’d be all for changing the storyline to something that makes sense

In comparison the Hulk lasted about 16 years before it's track replacement, so it makes sense Mummy would get a big refurb such as this after 17 years of operation.

Now considering the last refurb had the updated projections added, I'd say that and this refurb bodes well for the attractions future. The resort knows this is still a very popular ride, so they wanna' keep it running for as long as they can. A big refurb like this could very well add another decade or so to it's lifespan. Especially if they do a thorough track replacement a la' the Hulk.

I don't really expect any big storyline changes or anything like that honestly. Feels like something Universal would have announced with the dates like they did with the Hulk revamp.

FWIW - today's news hasn't been "announced". It was confirmed to me when I sent an email after the letter leak. If not for that, I don't think we would've gotten anything.

I expect any tweaking to fall in line with this.

In comparison the Hulk lasted about 16 years before it's track replacement, so it makes sense Mummy would get a big refurb such as this after 17 years of operation.

Now considering the last refurb had the updated projections added, I'd say that and this refurb bodes well for the attractions future. The resort knows this is still a very popular ride, so they wanna' keep it running for as long as they can. A big refurb like this could very well add another decade or so to it's lifespan. Especially if they do a thorough track replacement a la' the Hulk.
*takes off sunglasses* my gawd, is Universal becoming nostalgic?

Pre Epic Universe, I always dreamed of them converting Mummy into Revenge of the Monsters

Sarcophagus room would become Frankenstein, Treasure would become Dracula, Scarab room would become...Mummy

And the rotation scene would be Creature From the Black Lagoon

But they're going to open an actually good Monsters ride so I burned my manilla folder

*takes off sunglasses* my gawd, is Universal becoming nostalgic?

Not gonna' lie, for a resort which usually has no qualms of closing and replacing rides no matter what, it's nice (and almost unusual) to see them keeping a ride like Mummy.

But I also see it like this,

RotM's manufacturer, Premier Rides, still exists to this day. Now while they haven't made any other dark coasters (I think the Mummy coasters are the only ones they've made.), I don't think it's out of the question they'll be able to help provide needed parts for a refurb. An that could be a very important key on them deciding to refurb the ride instead of replace it.

Heck, it wasn't too long ago there was discussion in the forums on if RotM would last a decade. A big refurb points to yes, perhaps a lil more than another decade.

Now compare this to MIB, another beloved ride which sits on a huge footprint, but the manufacturer for that ride hasn't existed for a very long time. As much as I still love that ride, I do feel the pricetag of a complete overhaul to the ride system is bound to rival the price of a brand new ride...and that's where the choice of keeping it or replacing it get's a lot more dicey and understandable for the latter.

horrible timing for my family. Mummy is my fave and we were planning a trip for early Spring 2022. Our plane tickets expire September 2022 and early Spring was the only time we could go due to my kid's sports plus we hate the Summer heat and crowds.

• Sad
Reactions: Allomancer
Well, glad this won’t interfere with our yearly HHN trek in October, from Chicago. Headed down next week, so, glad to catch it before it closes. Mummy is one of my favorites :)

Reactions: belloq87
How long was Hulk shut to get retracked? I understand a lot of differing factors in terms of size, length etc but feels like The Mummy would be even more awkward to do given its position and the internal elements which would have been built after the track was installed first time round.

How long was Hulk shut to get retracked? I understand a lot of differing factors in terms of size, length etc but feels like The Mummy would be even more awkward to do given its position and the internal elements which would have been built after the track was installed first time round.

Hulk went down from September 8th, 2015 to August 4th of 2016.

@Alicia might be able to correct me, but in her video, she says the refurbishment might take longer than expected; correct?

Reactions: Alicia
Hulk went down from September 8th, 2015 to August 4th of 2016.

@Alicia might be able to correct me, but in her video, she says the refurbishment might take longer than expected; correct?
Yup. Funny thing is, I recorded that part of the video before yesterday’s news broke. From what people have been saying, it sounded to me like closer to a year, but some were convinced 3-6 months. I’m glad the internal memo said it would reopen “late summer,” as that is more reasonable and realistic of the estimates I was hearing.