Pipeline - SWO Surf Coaster (Spring 2023) | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Pipeline - SWO Surf Coaster (Spring 2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah, High Surf ain't sticking for me, either.

I wonder if Red Alert might be the name, daring the surf the biggest, most dangerous waves.

I'm not a fan of High Surf, but Red Alert is not something I'd associate with surfing whatsoever. That's more military/civilian defense, and very associated with the Command & Conquer series. If you call a ride Red Alert, I'm hoping this video plays at some point.

Considering it feels like almost every coaster manufacturer features some sort of launch, and the sheer fact it's been at least seven years since B&M did their first in-house launch, I don't think B&M launches have shaken up anything.

Agreed. Probably doesn't help that B&M hate launches.

Considering it feels like almost every coaster manufacturer features some sort of launch, and the sheer fact it's been at least seven years since B&M did their first in-house launch, I don't think B&M launches have shaken up anything.
Well, I can't imagine many have been on Thunderbird, but B&Ms with launched just hit differently

Add in the new patents (let us not forget that they patented their articulated seats for sit downs as well) and we could be looking at some truly great things

I'm just picturing a forceful launch with the clamshell restraints

Either way, I'm hoping this venture goes well for them

Agreed. Probably doesn't help that B&M hate launches.
I don't think they "hate" launches, they just didn't want anything to do with them until the technology improved. Remember that when they wouldn't do the launch for Hulk back in the mid/late 90's Premier and Intamin's LIM/LSM launches were still very unreliable and couldn't produce the power required for the larger B&M trains to be able to launch. Remember Superman at SFMM was only built in 1997 (abut the same time Hulk would have been in development) and for YEARS suffered downtimes and never could climb the tower more than halfway? I had front row seats at my old home park to see Batman & Robin: The Chiller from 1997 which was delayed almost a full year and never operated as designed. In 1998 Volcano opened late at half capacity because Intamin still hadn't figured it out. As far as I know it really wasn't until 2004 that a truly reliable LIM/LSM coaster finally came along with The Mummy and I believe even it had it's issues.

B&M's goal has always been reliability and they didn't want to sell any product they didn't feel was up to their standards. Since then we've seen the LIM/LSM launch systems become much more reliable-- Thunderbird (I assume) has been a success with acceptable downtime. It's interesting they went with smaller 2 abreast seating on these Surf Coaster trains (I assume to reduce weight) and probably further improve the reliability. They let the other builders work out the bugs and make a system that really worked.

Reactions: shiekra38
I don't think they "hate" launches, they just didn't want anything to do with them until the technology improved. Remember that when they wouldn't do the launch for Hulk back in the mid/late 90's Premier and Intamin's LIM/LSM launches were still very unreliable and couldn't produce the power required for the larger B&M trains to be able to launch. Remember Superman at SFMM was only built in 1997 (abut the same time Hulk would have been in development) and for YEARS suffered downtimes and never could climb the tower more than halfway? I had front row seats at my old home park to see Batman & Robin: The Chiller from 1997 which was delayed almost a full year and never operated as designed. In 1998 Volcano opened late at half capacity because Intamin still hadn't figured it out. As far as I know it really wasn't until 2004 that a truly reliable LIM/LSM coaster finally came along with The Mummy and I believe even it had it's issues.

B&M's goal has always been reliability and they didn't want to sell any product they didn't feel was up to their standards. Since then we've seen the LIM/LSM launch systems become much more reliable-- Thunderbird (I assume) has been a success with acceptable downtime. It's interesting they went with smaller 2 abreast seating on these Surf Coaster trains (I assume to reduce weight) and probably further improve the reliability. They let the other builders work out the bugs and make a system that really worked.
Judging by how janky launches were back in the day I don't blame them

Intamin's early launch coasters are STILL plagued with downtime....

I mean, the new one's are too, but not quite as much

You're right B&M chose reliability

Judging by how janky launches were back in the day I don't blame them

Intamin's early launch coasters are STILL plagued with downtime....

I mean, the new one's are too, but not quite as much

You're right B&M chose reliability
Yeah, I have always had the impression B&M desires perfection and launches are too much of a variant.

Reactions: shiekra38
Yeah, I have always had the impression B&M desires perfection and launches are too much of a variant.
B&M's big hurdle rn is their price point, they've begun to address that with scaled down models (see: Emperor, Cliffhanger, etc)

I imagine their launch coasters will also be aggressive on their price point and have better uptime than their competitors

Reactions: anihilnation