Future Shrek attraction at Universal Orlando? | Inside Universal Forums

Future Shrek attraction at Universal Orlando?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Oct 10, 2021
RVA
So as we know Puss In Boots the Last Wish did very well at the box office. And NBCU came out themselves and admitted that The Last Wish is DWA's gateway back into the Shrek Universe, I think it's only a matter of time before we see either a Shrek 5 or some sort of reboot or soft reboot. And if it does well I would imagine that knowing the potential that Shrek has for theme park lands/attractions, I imagine Universal would want to leverage the ogre in some way at Universal Orlando. How should Shrek be approached if he returned to Universal? Should it go in USF as an expansion in the DWA revamp to KidZone which could expand out and take over Springfield/The Simpsons and even MIB if they do two rides (that location would be perfect with the Shrek theme due to the lagoon nearby) or should it get a more fully fledged immersive land in one of the expansion pads at Epic Universe? And what are some potential ride ideas you would like to see in a Shrek land or attraction? Some ideas I would like to see include A Midway Mania style ride but using the stacked dark ride patent and the E ticket could be a trackless ride where you team up with all major fairytale characters even including the Shrek versions of the current Disney princess to take down a Jack Horner level threat. The ride can even be re rideable with the Horner like villain sending out different evil fairytale creatures each time.

I sort of think Shrek fits best in Islands of Adventure as a Shrek boat ride makes sense to me, so this as TL replacement would fit well. Or just a ride at the TL theatre.

Last Wish has changed my mind totally, the parks need Shrek again in a big way and I don’t think a meet n greet at Kidzone, even if well done and themed, is nearly enough.

I sort of think Shrek fits best in Islands of Adventure as a Shrek boat ride makes sense to me, so this as TL replacement would fit well. Or just a ride at the TL theatre.

Last Wish has changed my mind totally, the parks need Shrek again in a big way and I don’t think a meet n greet at Kidzone, even if well done and themed, is nearly enough.
We don't talk enough about the Far Far Away land in Singapore

Imagine it with not Shrek 4D lol

Ideally, I would love some sort of Shrek E-ticket ride that would be a trackless dark ride with a D-ticket Puss in Boots boat ride. The Shrek E could go in the Far Far Away section while the Puss and Boots can go in the "forest" section. Just have a near clone of Singapore's "Shrek Land" with the Puss and Boots D replacing the Dragon coaster and the Shrek ride going where Shrek 4D would be. That will likely not happen, but it's a nice thought.

Regardless, I think it would be a missed opportunity to not have a Shrek ride of some sort.

Ideally, I would love some sort of Shrek E-ticket ride that would be a trackless dark ride with a D-ticket Puss in Boots boat ride. The Shrek E could go in the Far Far Away section while the Puss and Boots can go in the "forest" section. Just have a near clone of Singapore's "Shrek Land" with the Puss and Boots D replacing the Dragon coaster and the Shrek ride going where Shrek 4D would be. That will likely not happen, but it's a nice thought.

Regardless, I think it would be a missed opportunity to not have a Shrek ride of some sort.
Universal seems to not care for trackless ride systems. MMOM at EU was changed from a Trackless system to the SCOOP style ride system from Transformers and Spider Man. But I would love to see them try again at a trackless ride. A MMRR style Shrek ride with MK style set pieces coupled with projection mapped scenes would be certainly be a huge hit. Heck, if they wanted to go all out they could find a way to put the SCOOP ride car on a trackless base. But that would also depend on the space where such a ride would go. The one problem with trackless rides is that they do require a larger amount of space than a tracked ride vehicle if they want to go all out and make it elaborate and interesting. (look at how big the MMRR building is at DL) And not all lands can easily fit a DL MMRR sized show building. Although maybe something on size with Shanghai Disney's Zootopia ride could work.

Without any kind of significant attraction, though, if what we've been told is accurate.

So, in that scenario, eventually adding a Shrek ride in there would be welcome.

Honestly? I think Shrek is just a very cynical, ulgy movie property and just a playground is more than enough. I'd much rather see rides based on other DW movies.

Honestly? I think Shrek is just a very cynical, ulgy movie property and just a playground is more than enough. I'd much rather see rides based on other DW movies.

Personal taste is, well, personal.

Nobody's making a ride based on my favorite DW animated film anytime soon (THE PRINCE OF EGYPT), but I have enough personal affection for the Shrek characters (if not the movies themselves, of which I think really only the first two are any good) that I would welcome seeing them in a ride. The ability to lampoon fairy tale tropes also opens up more creative avenues for ride possibilities than most other DW animated properties would probably allow for, too.

If KFP is part of the kidzone replacement I think a future boat ride similiar to Beijing is very feasible.

I have a crazy feeling Shrek either takes over TL, or it’s in a 4th park if that ever happens.

Road to El Dorado needs a revival. Probably still is one of my favorite DWA films.

Getting back to Shrek--with Puss in Boots and The Last Wish being a success; the Shrek Revival should be onpace. Honestly I can see it coming into play with the Beijing Panda system, assuming if the Revival is a critical and financial success like Puss in Boots is.

Road to El Dorado needs a revival. Probably still is one of my favorite DWA films.

Getting back to Shrek--with Puss in Boots and The Last Wish being a success; the Shrek Revival should be onpace. Honestly I can see it coming into play with the Beijing Panda system, assuming if the Revival is a critical and financial success like Puss in Boots is.
I hope they don't use the Panda Beijing boat ride system. Universal Can't seem to get boat rides right with pacing. Remember the now defunct Madagascar a Crate Adventure from Singapore? But in all fairness through the reason why the Kung Fu Panda boat ride in USB is not that great stems from the simple fact that the whole are was not meant for KFP. It was originally meant for SpongeBob but something happened at the last minute and they had to change the IP. KFP has great potential for dark rides but a slow moving boat ride is not a good fit for that franchise.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
I hope they don't use the Panda Beijing boat ride system. Universal Can't seem to get boat rides right with pacing. Remember the now defunct Madagascar a Crate Adventure from Singapore? But in all fairness through the reason why the Kung Fu Panda boat ride in USB is not that great stems from the simple fact that the whole are was not meant for KFP. It was originally meant for SpongeBob but something happened at the last minute and they had to change the IP. KFP has great potential for dark rides but a slow moving boat ride is not a good fit for that franchise.

I think if KFP was more like the leaked SpongeBob attraction in being a traditional flume ride like Splash Mountain WDW, it would've had the better reception.

Honestly, Shrek feels like it has potential for a Splash Mountain like flume attraction. Especially if it's on Shrek, Donkey, and Fiona on an adventure to save their kids.

I think if KFP was more like the leaked SpongeBob attraction in being a traditional flume ride like Splash Mountain WDW, it would've had the better reception.

Honestly, Shrek feels like it has potential for a Splash Mountain like flume attraction. Especially if it's on Shrek, Donkey, and Fiona on an adventure to save their kids.
Universal Studios Florida needs this NOW.

• Love
Reactions: TheCodeMan95
On the future of USF's Springfield thread someone mentioned that Simpsons could very well end up being taken over by either a Dreamworks or Illumination property. I think the best bet depending on how well it (Shrek 5) does would be to have some type of Far Far Away land take over Springfield and maybe World Expo as well. In the Simpsons plot you could have a D ticket Midway Mania style attraction themed around some sort of carnival hosted by Fairy Godmother. And instead of the blasters you get on Midway Mania you can have that wand patent as what you shoot with. The attraction will also be heavy on power ups and they will be themed to spoof powers of the Disney Princesses like in The Last Wish. The E ticket can be a trackless ride on par scale wise with MMRR expect will more practical sets. This would take over MIB and possibly even the now deserted FFL stage. The plot will be to team up with all major fairy tale heroes and even Shrek versions of the current Disney Princesses and battle all fairly tale villains from anywhere and anytime leading up to a finale battle with a Jack Horner level villain.

Here is the wand patent

The location of Shrek's house in the new DWA land is right across the way from where Animal Actors is. While I would ideally prefer if Shrek got a fully immersive land at EU in one of the expansion plots to really do the franchise justice, I think it is more likely that any hypothetical Shrek attraction will replace Animal Actors assuming that plot of land doesn't become part of whatever replaces Simpsons. it's about 40k square feet if they expand into what I assume is the area where the animals are kept and cared for between shows. That sounds like it could hold something on par with SLOP which is something many people on this forum have been clamoring to be ported over to USF. Maybe USF could finally get something like Pets through a Shrek attraction in that spot. Or another option would be something on par with Midway Mania. Would Shrek lend itself better to an attraction like Pets or something interactive like Midway Mania?