Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

FYI On Metro Shuttle this weekend

Apr 4, 2016
Im going to the WWOHP opening this week and called universal to ask about the shuttle times since the park opens early. It was confirmed by guest services the shuttle going from metro red line to the park starts at 5 am and runs until 1 am. That will be starting Thursday through the weekend on sunday.

happy wizarding!

What is the frequency of the service? Wait time?

Do you know if it is cheaper to get from Hollywood/Highland via this metro service compared to catching a Uber/Lyft  for a family of 4?  My guess is that getting a Uber/lyft back from USH would be a challenge given that most ppl will be leaving USH around the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Redline stop at Hollywood/Highland will be significantly cheaper than Uber. We have a Metro guide at this link.

Yes, i read the metro guide, very useful and detailed - including the part where it  mention that there's no need to tap out. I was wondering about this and could not find such details any where else.

I take the Red Line (subway) often. I notice that many tourists try to "tap out" as they leave. I've traveled quite a bit and don't recall having to tap or use a ticket to exit a subway system (NY, London, Paris, Tokyo).  Is it common in other places to tap or use a ticket to exit?

My understanding is that in Tokyo, you do need to tap or insert your ticket to exit the station. It just came up in a conversation I was having yesterday. The reason is you could have paid for shorter trip than you took. If that's the case, you need to pay for a fare adjustment before you'll be allowed to exit.

The LA Metro's fare structure allows you to ride the train as far as you want on a one way fare, so there's no need for fare adjustments. You only need to tap if you are transferring, because that's not necessarily included in your fare.

Many countries in Asia needs to tap out because fares are distance based. Not only for trains, but also for buses.

There may also be "rebates" for transferring between rides and these are all calculated as you jump from lines to lines or buses.

The Redline stop at Hollywood/Highland will be significantly cheaper than Uber. We have a Metro guide at this link.

For four people? No. Uber is going to barely more expensive, if at all, and far more convienent. 

I take the Red Line (subway) often. I notice that many tourists try to "tap out" as they leave. I've traveled quite a bit and don't recall having to tap or use a ticket to exit a subway system (NY, London, Paris, Tokyo).  Is it common in other places to tap or use a ticket to exit?

Probably the majority of world metro systems require you to tap out. In the U.S. only SF and DC. 

For four people? No. Uber is going to barely more expensive, if at all, and far more convienent. 

A plastic TAP card plus round trip fare is 4.50 x 4, so around $18. I checked Uber's website for an estimate, and prices range from $6 all the way to $47 for an SUV. I'm not sure about you, but I'd rather take a direct route using Metro rather than battle traffic in and around Universal and Hollywood.

A plastic TAP card plus round trip fare is 4.50 x 4, so around $18. I checked Uber's website for an estimate, and prices range from $6 all the way to $47 for an SUV. I'm not sure about you, but I'd rather take a direct route using Metro rather than battle traffic in and around Universal and Hollywood.

I plan to go to Santa Monica using the new Expo line so i already paid for the $1 TAP card. For Uber I will use UberX as it is just us and no luggage and mostly I am looking for the least costing transport.  So it does look like a draw in term of costing estimating... i think UberX will be more convenient as MA1234 mentioned as we do not need to walk from the Hotel to the Metro station. But i need to think about the tips (I read that now tips are expected by Uber driver) and probable traffic jams.

I read that traffic jams are real bad in LA. 

To get a feel of the traffic situation, I just checked Google maps real time traffic condition from USH to Hollywood/Highland area and it is in red at 8.45pm Friday

I will try to check the traffic condition next mornings to get a feel, as I plan to rope drop.

Uber in LA now tells you the price in advance. I'm a huge Metro fan and take it all the time (I live in near Pershing Square so it's how I get to USH), but from Hollywood,  you'd be nuts to take the Metro over Uber. Uber is going to be cheaper 90% of the time for four people, and takes you door to door. Metro does not.

It's now 8am on Saturday, and I see all green on Google maps with traffic around & between hollywood/highland and USH.  :)  I guess that's about the time I will be going to USH for rope drop.

Uber in LA now tells you the price in advance. I'm a huge Metro fan and take it all the time (I live in near Pershing Square so it's how I get to USH), but from Hollywood,  you'd be nuts to take the Metro over Uber. Uber is going to be cheaper 90% of the time for four people, and takes you door to door. Metro does not.

Thanks for this information.

(I read that now tips are expected by Uber driver)

I don't think that's the case. Uber discourages tipping. What changed is that Uber can no longer disallow drivers in California from accepting tips. But I think Uber drivers still don't get tips often.