Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

General I-Drive Discussion

Orlando Brewing is relocating from SODO (south downtown) to north I-Drive, near Hash House A-Go-Go. By itself a nice addition to the Universal area, but have to wonder if this is the start of some major redevelopment. The "secret" entrance to the I-4 Express Lanes sits right by Fun Spot, surrounded by dead or dying strip malls. Seems primed to be the next hot area. Epic Universe will only help drive that.

So, I was wondering why Disney felt the need to add this store on I-Drive? Especially with the reservation system and all reservations being full, what's the point of another ticket outlet with some retail?

Turns out it's really a DVC sales point, so now it all makes sense. I have to wonder if they'll be offering park access to the tourists on I-Drive if they take a DVC tour as a bypass to the reservation system. In town and don't have a reservation for Disney? Just get a time share sales pitch and you can take your family to the Magic Kingdom despite blockouts?

So, I was wondering why Disney felt the need to add this store on I-Drive? Especially with the reservation system and all reservations being full, what's the point of another ticket outlet with some retail?

Turns out it's really a DVC sales point, so now it all makes sense. I have to wonder if they'll be offering park access to the tourists on I-Drive if they take a DVC tour as a bypass to the reservation system. In town and don't have a reservation for Disney? Just get a time share sales pitch and you can take your family to the Magic Kingdom despite blockouts?
I don’t think DVC’s target audience is people without preexisting Disney reservations strolling into a store from I-Drive.

I don’t think DVC’s target audience is people without preexisting Disney reservations strolling into a store from I-Drive.
A shockingly high number of people who buy DVC are people who have never heard of it and are first-timers (or first few visits) - people make big decisions 'in the magic'.

I think you’d be surprised.

A shockingly high number of people who buy DVC are people who have never heard of it and are first-timers (or first few visits) - people make big decisions 'in the magic'.

I just looked into the requirements to become a member and they’re much more lax than I expected. Salary requirement alone skews more Westgate than Marriott. I stand corrected.

Today there was a meeting held about the future development of I-Drive with particular emphasis on Epic Universe's impact. It was held at Rising Star (Citywalk) and proposals and plans were presented:

The WESH news story had some aerials of EU construction as well.

Today there was a meeting held about the future development of I-Drive with particular emphasis on Epic Universe's impact. It was held at Rising Star (Citywalk) and proposals and plans were presented:

The WESH news story had some aerials of EU construction as well.
She has to be mistaken and meant tons or was misquoted

"Today we've constructed more than 85 buildings, we've used more than 20,000 pounds of steel, and we've laid more than 6,500 miles of cable," Melanie Becker said, who is the director of government relations at Universal Orlando.

They should give Dezer a billion and see what he can do with it.

Much like the Poller Coaster, I'll believe all of this stuff when I see it. Second floor of Pointe been sitting empty for 3 years, nothing been touched, yet the I-Drive org claims new bars opening next year.

Much like the Poller Coaster, I'll believe all of this stuff when I see it. Second floor of Pointe been sitting empty for 3 years, nothing been touched, yet the I-Drive org claims new bars opening next year.
Same old Developers' stories and grandiose promises, that rarely ever reach fruition. We've been experiencing that in Pittsburgh for many decades. As you said, believe it when I see it.....Heh, remember that Developer that owned the Epic property before he had to sell it off. :D.....Always lots of shysters and con men in that field. Faking their net worth and all that stuff, to get development financing and tax breaks.

EU could be a tipping point for more interest in I-Drive, and Universal's adding hotels on I-Drive I think has encouraged more development/re-development.

South I-Drive has a collection of good attractions that you can seamlessly walk between. North I-Drive is littered with apartment buildings and strip malls. Making the crosswalks prettier isn't going to fix that :lmao:

South I-Drive has a collection of good attractions that you can seamlessly walk between. North I-Drive is littered with apartment buildings and strip malls. Making the crosswalks prettier isn't going to fix that :lmao:
I think the apartments might win out in the end, given the "secret" entrance to I-4 Expressway. Ironic that it may be non-tourists who bring that area up.

EU could be a tipping point for more interest in I-Drive, and Universal's adding hotels on I-Drive I think has encouraged more development/re-development.

Definitely in the immediate area. The Chik-Fil-A on Universal has its own hashtag, for example. We'll see if the boom stretches north of Carrier.

Despite having failed in the Orlando market previously, Dick's Last Resort is coming to Pointe Orlando in 2024, taking over the old Dan Marino sports bar.

There's still concept art everywhere for the supposed redevelopment at the center of Pointe, but all the old bars look untouched since closing.