Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Getting Things Done in One Day

Lots of great tips, except that I would swap the lower lot and the studio tour, at least until Despicable Me opens. If you really want to make good on your day, get there at park opening and immediately head towards the lower lot. You'll instantly walk on Transformers, Mummy and JP, with extra time to re-ride all three attractions in just over an hour. Then head up the Starway and do the Studio Tour, which probably has about a 15-minute wait. Immediately do Simpsons afterwards, just before the big crowds hit. 

After that your entire day (and it's probably lunchtime) can be devoted to food and shows.

Good point about the Studio Tour/Lower Lot.

I actually struggled a bit with the placement of both tips, but the Studio Tour ultimately won out because of this:

Untitled by InsideUniversal.net, on Flickr

Transformers, Jurassic Park and Mummy all had extremely fast turn-arounds on my last visit. Even during peak, I think I waited 45 minutes for Transformers after the attraction had a posted wait time of 70 minutes. Same goes with Jurassic Park and Revenge of the Mummy.

The tour itself looked pretty bad right about noon, with crowds stretching onto the bridge. They had a posted wait time of about 90 minutes and it definitely looked like it.

Either way, very good tips. I might switch the two depending on what others have to say. For myself, I would want a well-rounded tour of the studio before experiencing any attractions - but again, my own personal opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on season for me. If you're at opening in summer or grinchmas, switch it and do the lower lot first then do tour for the reasons Brover said. In off season I tend to do tour first and then cruise the lower lot. Then again I skip the tour a good deal of the time now but that's a different story...

My main point: you can finish the lower lot in 20 or less if you go straight away, in any season. The tour is never that bad if you do it right after that.

Good point about the Studio Tour/Lower Lot.

The tour itself looked pretty bad right about noon, with crowds stretching onto the bridge. They had a posted wait time of about 90 minutes and it definitely looked like it.

Either way, very good tips. I might switch the two depending on what others have to say. For myself, I would want a well-rounded tour of the studio before experiencing any attractions - but again, my own personal opinions.
To be fair, your guide did allow the visitor to show up about an hour or two after the park opens. At that point, everything could be a loss-leader, and the best choice is probably tour. With my experiences on theme parks, the early bird always gets the worm. I kick myself if I got to Disney or anywhere else prior to opening. That's your head-start on practically everything, allowing for a more leisurely experience later on in the day.

Then again, this simply isn't possible for most people who have kids and a long trip before them that could delay matters. And some people just don't like waking up early. (I'm one of them, but this is one of those big exceptions) So I wouldn't necessarily switch it, as more of leave it as a possible additional option for those who really want to go for it.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I added an addendum to the page after some great feedback from you all.

Then again, this simply isn't possible for most people who have kids and a long trip before them that could delay matters. And some people just don't like waking up early. (I'm one of them, but this is one of those big exceptions) So I wouldn't necessarily switch it, as more of leave it as a possible additional option for those who really want to go for it.
I definitely see what you mean. I'm extremely lazy with it comes to other parks to the point where I'll arrive 12:00 - 1:00 PM (which is what happened on my last Disneyland visit). The crowds that arrive before a park opens are definitely a different breed. I was that way with Singapore, and it changes the entire dynamic of your day's visit.

Either way, hopefully the guide does provide some wiggle room. I tried not to be too stringent since I know everyone has their own variables.

you could always get a Front of Line pass too ;)
I'm too cheap. :p

As long as guests arrive within the first two hours Studio Tour, Transformers, the rides,waterworld, the shows or Transformers, the rides,Studio Tour,Waterworld, the shows. Try to get things with a wait time done first, as the wait times go up do the tour first, it could take 2 hours to get through the tour, with an hour wait, and upto an hour on the tour. Take breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner on the tour, in to shows. Guests never need to wait more than 20 to 30 minutes for a show. Be in the show at showtime, not outside.

My routine is always heading to the Lower Lot first to get done with Transformers before long waits, also Revenge of The Mummy and Jurassic Park. I can reride those and then get up to the upper lot and get into the tour after eating. I do this because I don't want to be on a full stomach on the rides in the Lower Lot since I tend to eat a lot and well I want to sit down and relax after a hearty meal, not being in line standing up. Yes, the Tour can be a 60 min wait, but that follows 40 mins. of calm. Then I go to Waterworld and if I am with first timers we ride the other rides in the upper lot, if not I skip them all and go to the Lower Lot again. It really depends  who I am with, but the routine stays the same except for not riding the upper lot attractions. If I go with my sis, we get there late, and stay until the park closes to ride and ride the lower lot rides with small waits. 

I think as long as the guest arrives in the park at opening, or even a little after opening, they can still do everything at the park in one day. Even if you arrive semi late, you can at least do all the attractions. Very doable. Some ways are more time consuming than others, but almost everyone can do everything in a day. :)

Yeah it's all doable in one day even if you getthere late unless you went of aug. 5th when Transformers broke down. That brake down robbed me and a 1st timer  from the opportunity of "riding" Shrek 4D... wound still sore... 

Yeah it's all doable in one day even if you getthere late unless you went of aug. 5th when Transformers broke down. That brake down robbed me and a 1st timer from the opportunity of "riding" Shrek 4D... wound still sore...
709ovn.jpg

this is for someone that has a ap and his friend doesn't take if you have another pass give it to you're friend and use it for the studiotour. works like a charm for me. just make sure the genders correct. and if you want to you can have admission for free for that person from that pass.

this is for someone that has a ap and his friend doesn't take if you have another pass give it to you're friend and use it for the studiotour. works like a charm for me. just make sure the genders correct. and if you want to you can have admission for free for that person from that pass.
I don't recommend doing this. They'll revoke your pass if there's a discrepancy between the original pass holder and the guest you're trying to bring in.