Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Golf Course Expansion

Jon Fu

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus
Jul 26, 2010
California
This has been bothering me for a while now.

I actually wrote an article (http://insideuniversal.net/2012/12/rumor-universal-to-acquire-golf-course/) about this a few weeks back, but the rumor still persists.

Do people really think Universal and Comcast are willing to invest that much into this park? Again, I would love to be proved wrong, but the chances of that are almost nill to nothing.

After all, this rumor has been circulating among fans and employees for years now - but that doesn't mean it's true.

What do you think?

It is highly unlikely because that golf course in in memory of Bob Hope. And like what you said, it is one of the richest zip codes in the U.S.

That's also the thing. This may be feasible in Florida (I'm not sure what the situation is over there), but I think many Hollywood watchers can debunk this myth pretty easily. 

I think there is a possiblity that USH does expand the lower lot or even builds a 2nd park (unlikely) once WWOHP opens.  The soundstages will be rebuilt somewhere else on the lot whether that is the golf course or on the other side of the backlot.  Theme parks are more of a guarentee in making money than movies.  Most of the soundstages are used for Television and not movies because the tax breaks are better outside California, so movie studios are not filming movies as often as they used to at USH.  In just reading the Universal Evolution Plan it sounds as if they want to make it more of a resort to try and combat Disney.  The only way to do that is to expand.  With the Disneyland Resort getting ready to go under a major overhaul over the next 10 years, Universal wants some of that cash and I think Comcast is going to go head first in fixing all that was damaged by GE and going above and beyond. 

Once WWOHP opens the Tram will move back to the lower lot, which means construction and more improvements to the lower lot.

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on that.

I think there is a possiblity that USH does expand the lower lot or even builds a 2nd park (unlikely) once WWOHP opens. 
Actually, if a plan does go through, I think your latter suggestion would probably be the most feasible (and when I say feasible, I mean “cheap”).

The soundstages will be rebuilt somewhere else on the lot whether that is the golf course or on the other side of the backlot.
When you think about it, demolishing and rebuilding soundstages seems like a costly venture – especially when filming in California is declining at a rapid rate. But let’s say Comcast is willing to invest money into Universal. In that case, soundstages on the golf course seems like the most logical approach. Not only will you have a buffer zone between the theme park and housing, but you also have an environment that can control noise, which would appease the surrounding neighbors.

Theme parks are more of a guarentee in making money than movies.  Most of the soundstages are used for Television and not movies because the tax breaks are better outside California, so movie studios are not filming movies as often as they used to at USH. 
That’s an interesting perspective. I’ve always heard otherwise, which was why General Electric seemed so motivated to sell the parks during their reign of NBCUniversal.

In just reading the Universal Evolution Plan it sounds as if they want to make it more of a resort to try and combat Disney.  The only way to do that is to expand.  With the Disneyland Resort getting ready to go under a major overhaul over the next 10 years, Universal wants some of that cash and I think Comcast is going to go head first in fixing all that was damaged by GE and going above and beyond. 
I think that’s what Comcast is trying to do, but given Hollywood’s restrictions, I’m not sure if that’s going to be feasible. A project like this will easily go into the billions – well above anything anyone has spent on Universal Studios Hollywood. But you're right about GE. Plenty of damange has been done, and their stamp on the park will remain for many years.

Once WWOHP opens the Tram will move back to the lower lot, which means construction and more improvements to the lower lot.
Our sources currently tell us that the Studio Tour will remain where it is - for now.

By the way, welcome! Thanks for joining.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been hearing this rumor for years, even from employees, and as much as I'd LOVE for it to happen (the golf course just taunts me on the star way) i just don't see it happening at all probably ever. #1 that river between USH and the golf course. Yeah, we can have a bridge, but taking materials over there would be a huge expensive undertaking, regardless of if it would be for studio or theme park expansion. That river...grr...

#2 those neighbors....we have issues with them right now by the studio tour and water world, with them always complaining and having us limit how much noise we give out. They would NOT, no matter the compensation, give up living next to a golf course, for the pleasure of seeing a noisy theme park expansion or the bland look of studio soundstages in their back yard....

Like, i don't blame them. As an USH fan, I'm all for it. But if you look at this from their point of view, i don't wanna give up my golf course views.

#3 Too expensive....Comcast is pumped about the parks, but this is not realistic at ALL. What with compensation for the home owner neighbors, the ungodly cost of dealing with the LA River issue in the middle, actually BUYING the property, AND building additional theme park section/studio space. All together would be over $2 Billion i think, if not more, and i don't see that happening.....

Our best bet (which would still be expensive) for expansion, would be for USH to expand into at least part of the studio space. There is so much undeveloped land, and it would be less expensive to level out the hill space that USH already owns than to deal with the golf course.

Our best bet (which would still be expensive) for expansion, would be for USH to expand into at least part of the studio space. There is so much undeveloped land, and it would be less expensive to level out the hill space that USH already owns than to deal with the golf course.
I don't think the studio is willing to give up space (they operate independently among one another as two different companies), but what about the land that you mentioned? Above the hill - where the Universal community was supposed to be built?

Look at the Vision Plan and you can see what could possibly be built if there was a need to build.  The Vision Plan is an overall goal and possible planning idea, but no where near a confirmation.  The golf course is not mentioned in any part of the Vision Plan.  This Golf Course rumor should just die.