Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Goodbye Globe Theater

May 18, 2018
Lake Oswego, OR
Well, it's official. On July 1st of this year, Globe Theater will shut it's doors for the last time. With the date of closure looming over the horizon, it seems like a good time to remember the building's past.

What did you think of the Globe Theater? Was it a great addition to the park or just a glorified meeting room?
Could the globe theater be the site for USH's 2020 attraction?

Whatever your thoughts and/or predictions are, we can all mourn the death of Universal Hollywood fanciest business complex here. R.I.P Globe Theatre. Thank you for the good times.

Globe Theater at Universal Studios Hollywood set to close July 1 | Inside Universal

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps if I may, has the Globe Theater been given a proper thread?

If not, that this thread may be actually useful as it goes in the traditional IU "Studio Vault".

Oh
Perhaps if I may, has the Globe Theater been given a proper thread?

If not, that this thread may be actually useful as it goes in the traditional IU "Studio Vault".

Oh, my apologies. Was i not supposed to create a thread? If so, i deadly apologize. I'm new to the forums so i dont know all the proper norms and guidelines yet.

I have zero connection with the Globe theater, but Comcast/Universal really having something up its sleeves and I'm excited for the potential SLOP ride. I just hope it's an actual practical ride instead of a 3d/4d the trend. The Upper Lot really needs some practical rides there. There's barely any, if little at all.

I have zero connection with the Globe theater, but Comcast/Universal really having something up its sleeves and I'm excited for the potential SLOP ride. I just hope it's an actual practical ride instead of a 3d/4d the trend. The Upper Lot really needs some practical rides there. There's barely any, if little at all.

Ooo... Ok. I knew someone was gonna bring it up eventually.

If i'm being 100% honest, I have BIG problems with SLOP being the 2020 ride. Allow me to explain myself with a overly-detailed rant.

(Btw, that is a awful acronym.)

Now, in my opinion, there are three factors that help determine if a ride in one of the Universal parks is a good or bad addition. I call them the Lower Lot trio for reasons i'll explain in just one moment.

The three factors are:
1. The IP that is present in the ride has high significance and/or a impactful legacy in pop culture.

2. The ride brings someone new and unique visually and/or functionally that separates it from other rides.

3. The IP is perfectly suited for the type of ride it is themed around.

As for the name, i call it that since the rides in the Lower Lot are the perfect examples of these pillars in action.

Jurassic Park: The Ride earns it's place due to it's significance and impact on pop culture. In fact, the other two IPs in the lower lot may not have ever existed without JP.

Revenge of The Mummy doesn't have the cultural impact of Jurassic Park but it makes up for it with a great theme (Ancient Egypt) and a ride system that hasn't been seen in the park before. (Dark Roller Coaster)

Transformers: The Ride isn't as unique as ROTM but the IP that is used is a great fit for a action-filled dark ride.

Unfortunately, SLOP as you call it does not have any of these factors in play.

Pillar 1: Well the film was commercially and critically successful, these feats aren't strong enough that we can accurately predict it won't just become another forgettable film that parents will put on to get their kids to shut up.

Pillar 2: If the ride is centered around a big city similar to the first film, it wouldn't be the first time a metropolis was used as a theme.(Spider-Man)

As for functionality, If you honestly expect a ride based around a animated property created by one of the cheapest film studios around not to be a screen ride, you are either out of your mind or blindingly naive.

Pillar 3: Well the SLOP could work as a exciting simulator ride. Unlike transformers, you are really gonna need to stretch your creative muscles to make this property into a thrilling journey that's worth any line you wait through.

Yeah, so that's my reasoning behind it. Well Universal has shown it can hit it out of the park in the past, it has a track record of looking only in the short-term and not seeing the longevity of a property. This is the company that built a Dudley-Do-Right ride after all.

At the end of the day, when they have only so much space to use, i just want Universal to pick the right properties to put in the park and well SLOP could work, it's not the best choice Universal could make.

Last edited by a moderator:
@AstroOwl - Love your enthusiasm, but in the future, instead of continuously posting, please use the edit button in your original post to add any additional thoughts you may have. Multiple posts in a row like you did above (five posts) clutters up the thread and you end up just talking to yourself.

@AstroOwl - Love your enthusiasm, but in the future, instead of continuously posting, please use the edit button in your original post to add any additional thoughts you may have. Multiple posts in a row like you did above (five posts) clutters up the thread and you end up just talking to yourself.

Oops! Sorry. Just got really into it and wasn't thinking about how much space i using. Mistakes were made and i'll make sure to keep it a one-time thing.

The park just needs more practical Rides, plain and simple. let’s be honest.... if this ride has little to no screens, it’s pretty much an automatic win for Universal— simply based on the balancing act they currently have in play. I posted something similar in a different thread, but I’m truly curious how much room the theatre even offers for an attraction. I always thought that between the current walking dead location, and the current theatre location, combining that entire stretch, that there would enough room for a major e-ticket to go there. I always thought that was the ultimate home run for Universal but we’ll see what happens.

The park just needs more practical Rides, plain and simple. let’s be honest.... if this ride has little to no screens, it’s pretty much an automatic win for Universal— simply based on the balancing act they currently have in play. I posted something similar in a different thread, but I’m truly curious how much room the theatre even offers for an attraction. I always thought that between the current walking dead location, and the current theatre location, combining that entire stretch, that there would enough room for a major e-ticket to go there. I always thought that was the ultimate home run for Universal but we’ll see what happens.

Well, if it's a mostly practical attraction then I'd be much more accepting of SLOP's inclusion but seeing that it's Illumination, i doubt it will go down that path.

Well, if it's a mostly practical attraction then I'd be much more accepting of SLOP's inclusion but seeing that it's Illumination, i doubt it will go down that path.

Back in the early days of said rumor (when it was on SS28 before Globe), the gist of the attraction seemed to be a classic dark ride, similar to Pooh's Hunny Hunt from TDL.

That said, perhaps that discussion can go to the more proper thread, while this one can talk of the Globe Theater itself? ;)

As for functionality, If you honestly expect a ride based around a animated property created by one of the cheapest film studios around not to be a screen ride, you are either out of your mind or blindingly naive.

I think you may be surprised. A lot of the speculation in the Secret Life of Pets ride thread has it being an audio-animatronic ride and I'm inclined to believe it. At the very least, it may be a combination like the Forbidden Journey, with AAs in the major scenes and screens to cover transitions.

Back in the early days of said rumor (when it was on SS28 before Globe), the gist of the attraction seemed to be a classic dark ride, similar to Pooh's Hunny Hunt from TDL.

That said, perhaps that discussion can go to the more proper thread, while this one can talk of the Globe Theater itself? ;)

Yeah, sorry. Kind of had that one built up for a while from like, the moment the rumor started spreading around.

It's time to bring on the pets.

Bout time USH got itself a nice, proper family AA-filled dark ride. This is part two of Uni's two part response to Galaxy's Edge, it's pretty obvious what part one is.

It's time to bring on the pets.

Bout time USH got itself a nice, proper family AA-filled dark ride. This is part two of Uni's two part response to Galaxy's Edge, it's pretty obvious what part one is.

I know, i know. USH definitely will need something else to combat Galaxy's Edge but when your going up against something as timeless as Star Wars, is SLOP really the best card you can play?

How does anyone know the franchise will be relevant in the coming years? Is there enough people outside of these forums who will care about this ride once it's no longer "all-new"?

I know, i know. USH definitely will need something else to combat Galaxy's Edge but when your going up against something as timeless as Star Wars, is SLOP really the best card you can play?

How does anyone know the franchise will be relevant in the coming years? Is there enough people outside of these forums who will care about this ride once it's no longer "all-new"?

I think it's unfair to compare the two franchises, especially when one wont open until 2020.

That said, as I previously stated, perhaps it's best to move the Pets talk to the proper thread?

Secret Life of Pets attraction coming? (USH) | Page 83 | Inside Universal Forums

To get back to the Globe, I'm curious to see how that'll affect private events going forward, as in a way, it was like SS33 from Orlando for us. I'm curious to see how things go forward, especially as that while it didn't mesh well with DM, Globe looked lovely for what it was, and complemented Baker Street rather nicely.

I think it's unfair to compare the two franchises, especially when one wont open until 2020.

That said, as I previously stated, perhaps it's best to move the Pets talk to the proper thread?

Secret Life of Pets attraction coming? (USH) | Page 83 | Inside Universal Forums

To get back to the Globe, I'm curious to see how that'll affect private events going forward, as in a way, it was like SS33 from Orlando for us. I'm curious to see how things go forward, especially as that while it didn't mesh well with DM, Globe looked lovely for what it was, and complemented Baker Street rather nicely.

That is a good point. The theater's disappearance does leave the future of private events up in the air. Maybe with the new updates coming to Hogsmeade they could adjust the Three Broomsticks into a temporary event space until a new permanent space comes along.