Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Grinchmas 2013 Future?

U

UniversalFan

I've been puzzling on Grinchmas 2013. The Wild West arena was a great place to add the Grinchmas area, it is in a clean space, traffic flowed pretty well for Grinchmas 2012 around the old Western Street area. But where would the Tree Lighting/Snow Play area be for 2013? I could see HoH as part of it, since it was put in there before, but it would be a really small space. Unless if they take out the tree lighting portion and redo the show. For example, the one in Orlando has a show based on the story, while here in Hollywood we have a more shorter version of the story, and i could see the show be placed in Special Effects. Now, where would it be, since the Old Wild West arena was used heavily for Grinchmas and HHN.

GoogleMaps.png

As you see, this is during off season, with the Western Street, and they made the arena much bigger for Grinchmas, because you know why. But without this, what would they do in the future?

That's an interesting question. I think we need to look at what they plan to do with the area first before making any conclusions. Worst comes to worst, they move Grinchmas over to Curious George - but I don't see that happening.

But even if they turn that area into Central Park, couldn't they simply redress the area for Halloween Horror Nights/Grinchmas again? It doesn't seem like that would be all-too difficult.

I think if it's just going to be the "temporary" Central Park area, it'll be verh easy to dress it up for Grinchmas. I'm not really worried about that anymore, Universal will figure it out for that space.

I would hate to see Grinchmas put back to the Curious George area. It was such small of a site, and the tree wouldn't be as grand. I like the idea that Grinchmas was put in the Wild West Arena, I could totally see Grinchmas being back at that site. I would be surprised if like i mentioned before, get rid of the tree lighting and putting it as "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" show.

They could always house it in a soundstage in the Lower Lot. Not sure how the studio would feel about that. Plus, I'd guess navigation would be a nightmare.

Still, they have done something similar before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Grinchmas is in the cloud for right now, either it's going to be redevloped, or no Grinchmas 2013.

It's about a year away. If the new "central park" place will be ready, I'm sure it'll still go there. If not, maybe they can make HoH a Grinch maze like the first Grinchmas and use the Blues Brothers stage for a mini show, and decorate the surrounding area as whoville

Surely Grinchmas was successful enough that they'll bring it back next year, right?

Let's see what happens when the construction subsides. I think it'll be more obvious then.

Surely Grinchmas was successful enough that they'll bring it back next year, right?
Let's see what happens when the construction subsides. I think it'll be more obvious then.
Yeah, I think Universal really outdid itself for 2012. Great HHN, grander Grinchmas decorations. I just love the audio for the tree lighting show. USH has the best audio.

I was impressed by Grinchmas this year.  I look forward to what USH has up its sleeve for 2013.  HHN however, the queue at the West theater needed to go!  

I always hated that queue for the tree lighting show. It's long! Yet, it's probably the largest arena Universal has built.

I just love the audio for the tree lighting show. USH has the best audio.
Yeah, I always joke about that with my group. Regardless of what Universal puts on (even Fast and Furious), you can bet your ass the sound will be good.

So kudos to that team.

I think they'll have to separate the lighting and snow play. Whatever Central Park is, it won't be able to support the massive Grinchmas crowds that swallowed the park whole this last year again, without those enormous bleachers at least.
I've always supported the notion of recreating the film set for the Grinch and embracing the studio feel. Why not hold it in a faux soundstage with lighting equipment, a director and a film crew? They wouldn't have to make apologies about the studio feel of the entire thing.

But I'm interested in how "Central Park" (if it's true) is laid out. If it's just a flat grassy area, I'm thinking they could easily recreate the walls and bleachers this year for another event.

There's a tree lighting ceremony six times a night?! What, does it never stay lit?!  :p
Funny how the tree never stays lit for more than ten minutes at a time. Keeps blinking on and off. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hope that they make Grinchmas 2013 the best yet. I have been going to Universal since I was kid and I have never gone during the holiday season. Now that I have 5 year old son, I hope that they make it fun this year! :)