Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion | Page 145 | Inside Universal Forums

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Rode on Friday with the virtual queue.

In opposition to my thoughts about the entire package of TRON at MK, this feels like a big budget Disney addition. Impressive queue, preshows, funny bits, and all of it feels high quality.

That being said, while I think TRON is an unequivocal home run in the ride department, Guardians has a lot of issues for me. The ride is just *too* chaotic. The near-constant movement of the cars, the blaring music, and audio/visual your ostensibly supposed to be paying attention to is so disorienting. I've been on almost 200 roller coasters, and this is easily one of the ones that has made me the most sick. I feel like they needed to dial back the car spinning and the screens/dialogue they apparently want you to pay attention to. Because it's hard to enjoy the actual ride with those two elements.

Still, it's nice that EPCOT has a real coaster, and I'd still ride every time I could...but I could never ride this more than once in a day, while I could marathon TRON.

Rode on Friday with the virtual queue.

In opposition to my thoughts about the entire package of TRON at MK, this feels like a big budget Disney addition. Impressive queue, preshows, funny bits, and all of it feels high quality.

That being said, while I think TRON is an unequivocal home run in the ride department, Guardians has a lot of issues for me. The ride is just *too* chaotic. The near-constant movement of the cars, the blaring music, and audio/visual your ostensibly supposed to be paying attention to is so disorienting. I've been on almost 200 roller coasters, and this is easily one of the ones that has made me the most sick. I feel like they needed to dial back the car spinning and the screens/dialogue they apparently want you to pay attention to. Because it's hard to enjoy the actual ride with those two elements.

Still, it's nice that EPCOT has a real coaster, and I'd still ride every time I could...but I could never ride this more than once in a day, while I could marathon TRON.
After 5 or 6 times riding I finally don’t get sick anymore. Once you know where the moves are you can finally just enjoy the ride and it’s much more fun. But my first 3 rides I got super queasy… and I’m the person who’s ridden Forbidden Journey 4 times back to back with no motion sickness.

After 5 or 6 times riding I finally don’t get sick anymore. Once you know where the moves are you can finally just enjoy the ride and it’s much more fun. But my first 3 rides I got super queasy… and I’m the person who’s ridden Forbidden Journey 4 times back to back with no motion sickness.
It was my sister's second time riding when I rode, and she said she felt way less sick than the first time, so hopefully that's the case for whenever I get back on the ride.

Reactions: Alicia
I wonder if there’s some kind of placebo effect going on as it’s been well documented to make people feel queasy and having that in mind when riding for the first time could be playing tricks on the body.

I wonder if there’s some kind of placebo effect going on as it’s been well documented to make people feel queasy and having that in mind when riding for the first time could be playing tricks on the body.
It’s disorientating af

It’s like if you tried to develop the most disorienting attraction on purpose, you’d end up with this.

The only way you could outdo it, is if you added strobe lights and heavy metal music to the kuka arms on Forbidden Journey.

I've never had a problem with any sickness feeling with this ride, but I know many people do. I'm mostly motion sickness desensitized at this point.

It’s disorientating af

It’s like if you tried to develop the most disorienting attraction on purpose, you’d end up with this.

The only way you could outdo it, is if you added strobe lights and heavy metal music to the kuka arms on Forbidden Journey.

I was quite anxious before riding the first time but it was no where near as bad as I thought it would be and subsequent rides have been fine.

Compared to Mickey's Fun Wheel, it's quite tame.

I was quite anxious before riding the first time but it was no where near as bad as I thought it would be and subsequent rides have been fine.

Compared to Mickey's Fun Wheel, it's quite tame.
Yeah, fun wheel is probably about as nauseous as I get.

I rode for the first time in September and absolutely loved it - to the point that begrudgingly, we bought a Lightning Lane for a 2nd ride of the day. lol

It’s more disorientating than physically nauseating. Brain gut disconnect, your eyes can’t make sense of what your body is feeling.

Reactions: Clive
I’ve found there’s two way to combat the feeling of motion sickness for me (this is also the only ride I feel that way, excluding Mission Space which I just don’t ride anymore):

1) Try as much as possible to look the direction that the vehicle is traveling down the tracks. Where things get rough is when your head is turned looking at one thing, the car is going another direction, and it’s also spinning.

2) I’ve found the front row of each ride vehicle to be better, likely because your head is much closer to the axis of spinning. The front row is closer to spinning like a figure skater while the back row is spinning more like a teacup.

Edit to add: this picture shows what I mean about front row/back row… pivoting around the axis as opposed to getting slung around the axis makes a big difference.

guardians-of-the-galaxy-cosmic-rewind-vehicles-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GA-MBIT and Alicia
I’ve found there’s two way to combat the feeling of motion sickness for me (this is also the only ride I feel that way, excluding Mission Space which I just don’t ride anymore):

1) Try as much as possible to look the direction that the vehicle is traveling down the tracks. Where things get rough is when your head is turned looking at one thing, the car is going another direction, and it’s also spinning.

2) I’ve found the front row of each ride vehicle to be better, likely because your head is much closer to the axis of spinning. The front row is closer to spinning like a figure skater while the back row is spinning more like a teacup.
Yep. The front cars are easier to watch the track, which helps you keep track of where you’re actually going, which reduces the disconnect.

If there is a disconnect between what you see and what you feel, even if it's a millisecond, you will get motion sickness more easily.
I rode in the back car (front for backwards launch) and somehow didn’t get motion sickness whatsoever. I’m a coaster junkie who’s taken on all of the cedar point, six flags, seaworld etc headliners but screen rides always get to me. I was a little worried going in that the screens and spinning would get to me but I found the movements to be perfectly synced with the screens and I had a very pleasant ride. Out of sync screens are a recipe for disaster. I got a ride on forbidden journey with a one second lag between the screens and the motion of the kuka arm and it just about ruined my day!