Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion

It would be ironic if Disney is just going the screens route and Universal is investing in practical animatronics al la Pets.
Well, it would actually even out both resorts. WDW has a lot of old, stale rides. I think screen-based rides can (to a point) help round things out a bit at WDW, just like how practical rides will help Universal round out more. I just hope Disney doesn't get too screen crazy. DHS is sort of at a point where if the next addition was another screen ride, i'd have complaints about that park being way too screen heavy.

WDW has a lot of old, stale rides.

176b8c7a7e51ab2f32c1e4c1b581af93.gif

I'm not saying they're bad, i'm saying WDW certainly doesn't get the love and attention of rides being updated like Disneyland does. Peter Pan is a great example of this.

Peter Pan is a real good example, since while DL gave theirs some nice upgrades, WDW focused more on the queue when they were trying to push FP+. It's a nice queue, but the ride itself could've benefitted from getting the updates DL did.

An off the top of my head, there's also BTM, Alice in Wonderland, Matterhorn, Snow White's Scary Adventures (adding projections to the Queen/Witch transformation), PotC, Haunted Mansion. DL is really no stranger to giving rides nice little updates during refurbs, and giving them more often than WDW's.

Peter Pan is a real good example, since while DL gave theirs some nice upgrades, WDW focused more on the queue when they were trying to push FP+. It's a nice queue, but the ride itself could've benefitted from getting the updates DL did.

An off the top of my head, there's also BTM, Alice in Wonderland, Matterhorn, Snow White's Scary Adventures (adding projections to the Queen/Witch transformation), PotC, Haunted Mansion. DL is really no stranger to giving rides nice little updates during refurbs, and giving them more often than WDW's.
And their Space Mountain... in 2005. And beyond the major upgrade to a new track, it also has had seasonal versions, the Star Wars version, or even for that short stint, a Red Hot Chili Peppers version.

And their Space Mountain... in 2005. And beyond the major upgrade to a new track, it also has had seasonal versions, the Star Wars version, or even for that short stint, a Red Hot Chili Peppers version.
I'd love to see what Vekoma could come up with for Space Mountain

As far as Galaxy, I'm expecting the majority of it to be screen based and very Tron-esque in its show scenes

I'm not expecting any proper "scenes" of any sort once we're in the giant showbuilding.

On Magic, Martin has implied there could be some more interesting stuff before the launch and during the return to the load/unload station.

The reason why OLC can give its additions a higher budget is because, effectively, they are just operating the parks. While that makes things a little more risky when tourism takes a hit (cough, cough) it makes it to where the parks cash cow isn't used to float other company segments during rough patches. For years, parks has been Disney's "reliable earner" in order to support on and off years. Thats why Studios is encouraged to take more risks than parks.
I'm not saying they're bad, i'm saying WDW certainly doesn't get the love and attention of rides being updated like Disneyland does. Peter Pan is a great example of this.
They alternate. WDW was in the middle of an unprecedented CapEx spree while DL was (relative to WDW at the same time) left out to dry. WHile WDW was building 4 E-Tickets on top of their SWL, the entire front half of Epcot being redone following TSL, in addition to hotel expansions, more work on Springs, new developments at ESPN.

Meanwhile, on top of their SWL, DL was getting TSMM 2.0 with a lightly themed Pier replacement. And don't forget two flat ride reskins! And, way down the line, a clone of one of those WDW E-Tickets. All while their DtD plants were put on indefinite hold. If we say that TSL was equivalent to Pixar Pier (it wasn't, but being generous), MMRR is a wash (which timelines dictate isn't entirely true), and that the entire Future World Project with Guardians is equivalent to Avengers Campus (once again, exaggerating to prove a point) WDW still comes out way on top.

Sure, I'd agree that DLR is better with refurbishments of existing attractions, like Pan as you mentioned, but in recent history WDW was definitely getting the better hand.

Vekoma has been Disney's go-to for years.
Very true, but I still wonder how SDD Ended up being made by Mack. It just felt off to me, as I could have sworn that Disney had some kind of exclusivity agreement with Vekoma. Maybe they just wanted the more aesthetic, toy-like track. Really funny to me if that was the entire reason for the manufacturer switch.

That said, every proposal for a moderately themed (by WDW standard) high thrill coaster have not been from vekoma. I think WDI may just have something along the lines of a "Vekoma exposed track is ugly" complex (which I admittedly agree with haha).