Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion

The "ride" was never going to have AA's as far as I know. It was the queue.

And yet I remember the days when we were told we had to count the goblins in the Gringotts lobby as part of the ride!

But yeah. We only ever specifically heard about AAs in the queue (we also didn't definitive hear that there weren't AAs planned for the ride itself, though most of us assumed there wouldn't be any in there).

Okay I heard they my source of a Groot AA..... THIS IS NOT WHAT I EXPECTED.

Even if just for opening, although I pray longer, worth it.

The reason why OLC can give its additions a higher budget is because, effectively, they are just operating the parks. While that makes things a little more risky when tourism takes a hit (cough, cough) it makes it to where the parks cash cow isn't used to float other company segments during rough patches. For years, parks has been Disney's "reliable earner" in order to support on and off years. Thats why Studios is encouraged to take more risks than parks.

They alternate. WDW was in the middle of an unprecedented CapEx spree while DL was (relative to WDW at the same time) left out to dry. WHile WDW was building 4 E-Tickets on top of their SWL, the entire front half of Epcot being redone following TSL, in addition to hotel expansions, more work on Springs, new developments at ESPN.

Meanwhile, on top of their SWL, DL was getting TSMM 2.0 with a lightly themed Pier replacement. And don't forget two flat ride reskins! And, way down the line, a clone of one of those WDW E-Tickets. All while their DtD plants were put on indefinite hold. If we say that TSL was equivalent to Pixar Pier (it wasn't, but being generous), MMRR is a wash (which timelines dictate isn't entirely true), and that the entire Future World Project with Guardians is equivalent to Avengers Campus (once again, exaggerating to prove a point) WDW still comes out way on top.

Sure, I'd agree that DLR is better with refurbishments of existing attractions, like Pan as you mentioned, but in recent history WDW was definitely getting the better hand.

thing is, WDW NEEDS the better hand for awhile. Both parks in Disneyland are easily full day parks now. (DL is a two day park.) Epcot is an absolute disaster at the moment, Studios still only has what - 9 rides? And same can be said for Animal Kingdom. Magic Kingdom is the most full park at WDW, but as the main park of the flagship resort, you’d figure doing some of these refurbs to Fantasyland rides and Space and Thunder Mountains would be a priority. Oh yeah...there’s still CoP on it’s 1994 version...the crappiest autopia in the Speedway, and a completely vacant building that once housed Stitch.
WDW needs a LOT to catch up to the quality of Disneyland.

Surprised this wasn't mentioned around the time--but Jim and Len previously talked about Cosmic; and photography should already be done for it by now; as Taika Waititi helmed the filming for the attraction.

It's very possible since the GotG were in Thor 4. With James Gunn so caught up in DC projects + only still getting ready for GotG 3, fitting in time with them on-set together likely wouldn't have come until 2022 or possibly even 2023, so it makes sense that Taika filmed the stuff for the ride.

That all said, it still doesn't mean this ride is opening any sooner. Expectations should be 2023 at this point.

That all said, it still doesn't mean this ride is opening any sooner. Expectations should be 2023 at this point.

What could possibly justify a further 18+ month timetable, though? The interior of the gravity building has to be mostly done (because there's supposedly hardly anything in there but track, screens, and flats; no "show scenes" or sets to speak of), so all that really leaves is the queue. You'd think a solid five years would be enough to finish a queue.

But I certainly won't be surprised if 2023 ends up being correct. That would be the longest construction period for any replacement attraction in Disney's history, I believe.

What could possibly justify a further 18+ month timetable, though? The interior of the gravity building has to be mostly done (because there's supposedly hardly anything in there but track, screens, and flats; no "show scenes" or sets to speak of), so all that really leaves is the queue. You'd think a solid five years would be enough to finish a queue.

But I certainly won't be surprised if 2023 ends up being correct. That would be the longest construction period for any replacement attraction in Disney's history, I believe.
It could potentially be late 2022, but as i've said, Disney supposedly wants this to be the first new "post-50th celebration" ride. I also think they just want to keep it to one new ride a year to stretch out that 2017 D23 lineup for literally as long as possible. If Disney does what I think they will do, they'll be able to say that WDW has gotten a "new" ride/land every single year since 2016 (and to be clear, this is only what I think they'll do)

2016: Frozen Ever After
2017: Pandora
2018: Toy Story Land
2019: Galaxy's Edge
2020: Runaway Railway
2021: Ratatouille
2022: GotG
2023: TRON
2024: Princess and the Frog

Looking at that all laid out, I have to imagine we're going to see something big announced for DAK possibly at D23 2022? The near-term is already going to be sured up and looking ahead, knowing how long it takes them to build and open a ride, it will probably be at minimum 10-ish years before the next big addition to DAK, which comes after a 10-year break between additions between Everest and Pandora.

It could potentially be late 2022, but as i've said, Disney supposedly wants this to be the first new "post-50th celebration" ride. I also think they just want to keep it to one new ride a year to stretch out that 2017 D23 lineup for literally as long as possible. If Disney does what I think they will do, they'll be able to say that WDW has gotten a "new" ride/land every single year since 2016 (and to be clear, this is only what I think they'll do)

2022: TRON
2023: GotG

Looking at that all laid out, I have to imagine we're going to see something big announced for DAK possibly at D23 2022? The near-term is already going to be sured up and looking ahead, knowing how long it takes them to build and open a ride, it will probably be at minimum 10-ish years before the next big addition to DAK, which comes after a 10-year break between additions between Everest and Pandora.

It actually is a smart decision on Disney's part.

I won't lie and say it's dumb, it's just extremely frustrating to those of us in the fandom that know it was supposed to open THIS YEAR. And so was Tron.

Similar situation with Iron Gwazi. Irritating that it's been delayed but with VC this year, it's good to have stuff to look forward to while the parks can recover.

Last edited:
WDI cost management in a nutshell: tearing down temporary construction trailers that are further from the attraction than the front door of their own building.

Counterpoint: Not opening rides that are ready to go is bad
It's frustrating to our little community, but the people who go to the parks don't know that Ice Breaker or Iron Gwazi are pretty much done. That don't know when Tron and GotG were supposed to open and at this point, it's basically Halloween and Holiday stuff the rest of the season once we get past summer.

I don't like that I have to wait longer, but that's why I now choose not to give Disney Parks any more money, currently. When they open new rides, i'll pay to go back. No one is forcing me or you to go. But that's the thing, Disney doesn't want people like me because they don't see me as a high spender. If Disney is opening new rides every year and debuting new fireworks shows like they are, they simply don't need to debut two or three new rides on the same day (October 1).

Again, I don't like it, but it's what it is and I can't fault them for it because it's working for them. They don't care about us anymore - they just want the high paying guests who don't do any research beforehand and don't know what a Universe of Energy or IllumiNations is. I just will continue to not give them my money as long as this is their strategy.

2022: TRON
2023: GotG

I agree they’re going to want one per year, but what if one of them wasn’t ready when they wanted it…?