Halloween Horror Nights 2020 Old Speculation Thread | Page 46 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2020 Old Speculation Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if USH is open by September, how many people are going to want to go the Halloween Horror Nights if the virus is still around? People know how crowded the event can get, and even if precautions are taken, a lot of people will think that it is going to be a lot more risky than going to a theme park during normal operations when things are way less crowded and chaotic.

Regardless of that, I expect it to be a year with heavy budget cuts, so I wouldn't anticipate much in terms of quality. It is a sucky situation, but we need to be realistic. Even if USH is still hopeful the event will go on, they surely aren't going to pour as much money into construction as they would in a normal year.

Even if USH is open by September, how many people are going to want to go the Halloween Horror Nights if the virus is still around? People know how crowded the event can get, and even if precautions are taken, a lot of people will think that it is going to be a lot more risky than going to a theme park during normal operations when things are way less crowded and chaotic.

Regardless of that, I expect it to be a year with heavy budget cuts, so I wouldn't anticipate much in terms of quality. It is a sucky situation, but we need to be realistic. Even if USH is still hopeful the event will go on, they surely aren't going to pour as much money into construction as they would in a normal year.
I assume to universal, having it open and making less money than a normal year is still better than making no money on it and having to remove whats already been built. Not to mention the fact that even with the virus lingering, people are already stir-crazy enough now, 4 more months of this means people are going to go out when given the chance even if theres still a risk. Also, I'd say if there are budget cuts, I'd expect they'd just reduce the maze count to save on build and employee costs.

Welp, with stay at home orders getting extended through July, I’m guessing auditions won’t be held until right before the event this year.

Welp, with stay at home orders getting extended through July, I’m guessing auditions won’t be held until right before the event this year.
It'll be interesting to see how it works out. It could also be more competitive assuming theyre hiring less people, though also less people might audition due to the conditions

I really don't think Hollywood's is going to happen. Think about it: Stay at home order in place through July and then theme parks aren't even in the pipeline of opening until PHASE FOUR. It would take a miracle to have HHN out there this year imo.

Reactions: chris.g
This may be a case of pushing the event back before deciding to cancel.

This is probably a dumb question, and I think I know the answer, but as a pure hypothetical, say all the mazes are built and ready to go, but then HHN doesn’t go forward—and isn’t, for whatever reason, pushed back, either—what would happen? Assuming they’d just rip down the mazes and all the work was for nothing, barring some of it being put in storage for reuse next year, would the wasted cost then diminish 2021’s budget to offset the loss in turn?

This is probably a dumb question, and I think I know the answer, but as a pure hypothetical, say all the mazes are built and ready to go, but then HHN doesn’t go forward—and isn’t, for whatever reason, pushed back, either—what would happen? Assuming they’d just rip down the mazes and all the work was for nothing, barring some of it being put in storage for reuse next year, would the wasted cost then diminish 2021’s budget to offset the loss in turn?
They'd probably salvage anything useful for next year such as props and costumes (if they planned on using a certain IP in 2021 that they would've used this year) and come in with a wrecking ball for the rest.

I said it before and I'll say it again -- if they postponed to January 2021 or freakin April Spring Break 2021, I -- WILL -- GO.
Cut the first H out of HHN, branding it simply as HORROR NIGHTS is what most people say anyway.
Heck, have it Summer 2021 starting in June to October, make it ULTIMATE HALLOWEEN HORROR NIGHTS with double the mazes.
I'M IN. Horror all summer long, guys.

I would not expect many locations to return if the event happens. Furthermore maze count has significantly decreased and I've heard talks of just one scare zone altogether.

I would not expect many locations to return if the event happens. Furthermore maze count has significantly decreased and I've heard talks of just one scare zone altogether.

If that turns out to be true, and the ticket prices are still the same as previous years, I'll more than likely just skip this year.

Reactions: chris.g
If that turns out to be true, and the ticket prices are still the same as previous years, I'll more than likely just skip this year.
It could be 3-4 mazes like '07-'10 and I'll go, because those years were amazing, and honestly with the quality those mazes were, are worth the price of a ticket now.

Reactions: Freak
You know guys, I’m just gonna say it: I’m really rooting for significantly less mazes. I’m not saying this to accept the fact that HHN will be smaller this year because of the circumstances, I’m saying this because I’ve been wanting this to happen since 2017. Maybe the beer bug is just the kick in the pants HHN needs to realize “quality over quantity”.

Let’s face it: this has been an issue for a while. While I think last year was pretty dang good, there were some areas that could’ve benefited from a higher budget (ahem, all of Pandora’s Box). The event has grown too big to effectively handle nine mazes and I think we need to go back down to six mazes again.

I would MUCH rather go for five really good houses and TWD than go for eight or nine with a bunch of black walls. I see this as a blessing in disguise for the event and would love to see the budget balanced to improve the houses. Look at Insidious and Crimson Peak from ‘15: you could tell they had the blessing of budget. I would love to see at least three mazes if that caliber this year if you go back down to five or six.

Reactions: HorrorNightsFan13
If we get a Tram maze with a BIG bigger budget then before and maybe two of the mini mazes that are outside only then I'd be fine with less big mazes. Maybe have Chucky performing somewhere so we have a show outside we can watch. Hope they have a season pass for the event like before.....that would pretty much seal the deal

You know guys, I’m just gonna say it: I’m really rooting for significantly less mazes. I’m not saying this to accept the fact that HHN will be smaller this year because of the circumstances, I’m saying this because I’ve been wanting this to happen since 2017. Maybe the beer bug is just the kick in the pants HHN needs to realize “quality over quantity”.

Let’s face it: this has been an issue for a while. While I think last year was pretty dang good, there were some areas that could’ve benefited from a higher budget (ahem, all of Pandora’s Box). The event has grown too big to effectively handle nine mazes and I think we need to go back down to six mazes again.

I would MUCH rather go for five really good houses and TWD than go for eight or nine with a bunch of black walls. I see this as a blessing in disguise for the event and would love to see the budget balanced to improve the houses. Look at Insidious and Crimson Peak from ‘15: you could tell they had the blessing of budget. I would love to see at least three mazes if that caliber this year if you go back down to five or six.
The way I see it, is even though 10 mazes is nice for the sake of variety, its near impossible to get them all done in one night without express, so from what I've seen from the past, the ideal with our current budget is like 6 mazes with tram 7 without, just for the sake of budget distribution and actually being able to get them all done.

Six mazes + tram + Walking Dead = the sweet spot, for sure.

I know people have their feelings about the tram, but it eats up the crowd and most of the GP seem to enjoy it.
I love the Tram maze but think it's under used. They could really go all out even just theming wise but always end up using generic people.
I don't know how all the rights work but they have to have some rights to Zombie films or games o they can use the plane set but also have characters/monsters people know and like.

Heck since they have stuff from last year im sure...even making the hotel area "hotel in hell" would be ten times more interesting than anything theme wise I've seen on the tram since 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.