Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2020 Old Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Budget cuts and some temporary closures like right now, sure. But to think that Universal will be non-existent next year is ridiculous. HHN prior to the Potter was the resort's savior during hard times, but the resort does well enough with Potter by itself. As long as Butterbeer keeps flowing and wands keep selling, they will be fine.

This. Theme parks will be affected pretty heavily I imagine for the next year or so. Once tourism comes back full steam things will start to level back out. I think it's totally reasonable to expect what you said above. Parks becoming "non-existent" due to this is an insane statement and sounds like fear mongering to me.
I think this applies to Knotts way more. I remember reading a statistic (this was maybe 10-15 years ago though) that 75% of their income is from Halloween Haunt. Sounds insane, but easy to believe. Most locals prefer Disneyland and if coasters are your jam, then you can drive 45 minutes up to Six Flags. Tourists are hitting Disneyland and USH for the most part. The ONLY time I've been to Knotts in the last 10 years was with a free ticket or for KSF.

Maybe in the 90's this would be a topic of discussion, but now I don't think so. The park is pretty busy all year long thanks to all the seasonal events. Even their small food festival they are doing right now sold out every single date. I don't doubt that Scary Farm is the biggest money maker, but with events like Ghost Town Alive, the Boysenberry Festival and Merry Farm I think they're doing alright.
Ellish did not get scrapped AFAIK

That's good news. I'm really looking forward to the potential of that one.

I just realized that around the time that news dropped of a last second IP pulling out, The Conjuring 3 was moved from it's original date this year of Sept 11 to next June instead. I know Hill House supposedly on the table, and it was rumored Hill House was the one that pulled (can't remember where I read that, but I did). So is it possible that sources were incorrect and confusing two haunted house properties? Conjuring is a long awaited franchise for HHN, requested by nearly everyone, maybe almost as much as IT. I think the timing of the news, the rumor of IP pulling at that time, the sameness of the two properties, and the eventual shutting down of HHN drive this new theory pretty hard. Also with the other alleged Halloween Kills moving its date back a whole year, having two big IPs not have their movies come out this year might've been pretty big deal breakers and helped drive the decision.

I just realized that around the time that news dropped of a last second IP pulling out, The Conjuring 3 was moved from it's original date this year of Sept 11 to next June instead. I know Hill House supposedly on the table, and it was rumored Hill House was the one that pulled (can't remember where I read that, but I did). So is it possible that sources were incorrect and confusing two haunted house properties? Conjuring is a long awaited franchise for HHN, requested by nearly everyone, maybe almost as much as IT. I think the timing of the news, the rumor of IP pulling at that time, the sameness of the two properties, and the eventual shutting down of HHN drive this new theory pretty hard. Also with the other alleged Halloween Kills moving its date back a whole year, having two big IPs not have their movies come out this year might've been pretty big deal breakers and helped drive the decision.
I'm going to say something here that might be discourage some (myself included) and this is just a hunch, no insider info. I think the days of Big Time contemporary IPs are done for. I'll even go as far as to say as long as there are Conjuring movies, we will yet to see them at HHN in the foreseeable future. HHN's last couple of years have been making creative products out of the IPs they can obtain and get the cult classics in an attempt to market it to the hardcores. I'd love to be wrong, but I think for me, I'm done looking forward to seeing anything popular come to the event.

Last edited:
I guess just from a business perspective: Ghostbusters and Stranger Things were - dare I say, objectively - some of the biggest IPs to ever come to HHN, and neither were hits with audiences. Uni probably spent a pretty penny getting those IPs in the first place. If neither represented significant draws, then is it fair to say that buying big ticket IP is not worth the costs incurred, and thus it would make more sense for HHN to work in-house more and focus on cheaper-to-acquire properties like Cult Classics and in-house IP?

(This is the part where I plug Channel Zero)

Last edited:
I'm going to say something here that might be discourage some (myself included) and this is just a hunch, no insider info. I think the days of Big Time contemporary IPs are done for. I'll even go as far as to say as long as there are Conjuring movies, we will yet to see them at HHN in the foreseeable future. HHN's last couple of years have been making creative products out of the IPs they can obtain and get the cult classics in an attempt to market it to the hardcores. I'd love to be wrong, but I think for me, I'm done looking forward to seeing anything popular come to the event.

Gonna be interesting to see this play out in future years, considering we know how Murdy is very insistent regarding his criteria of what makes a good maze, especially how he hammers the "It needs to be well-known with the current GP for it to work as a maze" critieria..

I know I said this before, but Thirteen Ghosts’ 20th anniversary is next year and that would be a good replacement for Hill House.
I really really really don't see that happening considering all the fake glass that would take.
I remember Murdy mentioning it'd be impossible to keep it all clean every night, let alone hourly between guests.
Also, that movie has like... no cult following and an anniversary to a movie most people forgot about just seems like an odd choice.
I love it personally, especially all the ghost designs, but it's not something people are begging for and it's also a bit impractical.
Just doesn't seem worth breaking their heads over.
If it didn't make a splash with the audience it came out with, or the millenialls who watched it under the age of 17, or is completely unknown to Gen Z, who would this maze be for?
The little segment in a Knotts Crypt Keeper movie mash-up maze back in the early 2000s was cool, but it was INSTANTLY dirty.
Until they figure out cheap non-staining glass that won't break if an idiot kicks it, I don't see it happening.
What did they do for the Cabin in the Woods maze's ending? From what I remember, it looked like they designed it to not be that much glass as in the movie.

Last edited:
I have a feeling they wont have too much trouble getting hill house back if covid isnt a super big risk next year, since I'd be willing to bet the whole reason it was at risk was netflix didnt want their brand associated with an event running during covid. Not to mention it would be better synergy wise next year since I believe thats when season 2 is supposed to come out.

Not to mention it would be better synergy wise next year since I believe thats when season 2 is supposed to come out.

Season 2, The Haunting of Bly Manor, is set to come out this year, not next. Production finished before the shutdown and it’s already been confirmed post-production was able to continue. This was the year for synergy.

I have a feeling they wont have too much trouble getting hill house back if covid isnt a super big risk next year, since I'd be willing to bet the whole reason it was at risk was netflix didnt want their brand associated with an event running during covid. Not to mention it would be better synergy wise next year since I believe thats when season 2 is supposed to come out.
If Stranger Things Season 4 comes out next year before HHN I doubt Hill House will return.

Status
Not open for further replies.