Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2021 (USH) - News & Info

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
This thread is dedicated to all Speculation & Rumors for this year's Halloween Horror Nights 2021 event at Universal Studios Hollywood.

Just like last year, we ask that all speculation comes from realistic expectations and adds to the discussion. Please keep discussions about wishful/dream properties to the HHN Wish List threads. Official news will be shared on the News & Info thread. Since USH is still closed, we're asking you to please refrain from the "Will it happen?" conversations at this time.

DISCLAIMER: This thread contains discussion centered around rumors and sometimes could include baseless speculation, and should be treated as such. Posts are not confirmations. Any official announcements for HHN will be shared on our main site, InsideUniversal.net

Last edited:

As we should bring up Universal Monsters the Bride of Frankenstein Lives! and Beetlejuice opened in Orlando so with how they were rumored to be also with Hollywood and with them opening in Orlando we can assume they are happening in Orlando.

Also Eilish is believed to have been scrapped for Orlando (And since it was rumored for Hollywood we can assume Hollywood too) so we can speculate on that as well.

I'm speculating a decrease in a houses (5 at the Max) with TCM and Halloween 3 to be 2 of them since they are still up I believe.

I'm admittedly more curious on Hollywood than I am of Orlando, because of from what I understand, the layoffs impacted the team who created the event heavily.

Hollywood's, more so than Orlando, may not be able to properly develop an event this year, unless they pull up certainn mazes that they "can" use. I'd expect no more than 5 mazes, personally in part of that.

I can’t help but wonder if they will feel the need to have a big IP like the last few years. Billie was supposed to be that for both coasts and now that seems to be gone. Haunting of hill house was also rumored but I’m sure that was for synergy for bly manor which seemed to not be nearly as big as hill house originally was. As of right now I can see Beetlejuice returning since it was used in orlando last year to keep the rights, Texas will probably remain to be used as synergy for the film this year and same with Halloween 3 to be synergy for Halloween kills. Murdy also loves monsters so brides is more then likely safe to return. If there truly is only 5 mazes I would suspect something rather big because I don’t believe any of those properties would have many people excited especially since leatherface, Michael, and the monsters have been at the event multiple times in the past.

This is gonna be a back to basics year imo. Not just because redoing IPs saves money but also because the release schedule for horror movies this year is probably gonna be completely unsettled right up until HHN, so there's less of a chance that they'll get to do a living trailer thing.

Universal Monsters/Brides, TCM, Halloween, Beetlejuice because they already closed the deal. Maybe a recycled Scare Zone or easy/cheap original house. I can't imagine they're gonna want to spend a lot.

EDIT: that having been said, a Halloween 3 maze feels like a perfect compromise between new and reuse.

I can’t help but wonder if they will feel the need to have a big IP like the last few years. Billie was supposed to be that for both coasts and now that seems to be gone. Haunting of hill house was also rumored but I’m sure that was for synergy for bly manor which seemed to not be nearly as big as hill house originally was. As of right now I can see Beetlejuice returning since it was used in orlando last year to keep the rights, Texas will probably remain to be used as synergy for the film this year and same with Halloween 3 to be synergy for Halloween kills. Murdy also loves monsters so brides is more then likely safe to return. If there truly is only 5 mazes I would suspect something rather big because I don’t believe any of those properties would have many people excited especially since leatherface, Michael, and the monsters have been at the event multiple times in the past.

Beetlejuice should be that Big IP for Hollywood. I do..have to ask though.

What will happen in the case of TWDA. At this point, it's going to be well over a year since the maze has been even seen open publicly, and I'd be surprised if the maze was included in the potential instance of if HHN would be delayed due to large circumstances. So at what point, do you not strike down the sets, and put one of the planned mazes in that venue.

If Soundstage 29, or The Backlot isn't of any use, I can absolutely see the showbuilding be used for HHN if they cannot operate TWDA off of legal reasons.

As we should bring up Universal Monsters the Bride of Frankenstein Lives! and Beetlejuice opened in Orlando so with how they were rumored to be also with Hollywood and with them opening in Orlando we can assume they are happening in Orlando.

Also Eilish is believed to have been scrapped for Orlando (And since it was rumored for Hollywood we can assume Hollywood too) so we can speculate on that as well.

I'm speculating a decrease in a houses (5 at the Max) with TCM and Halloween 3 to be 2 of them since they are still up I believe.

i wonder how this would have skipped speculation maps since they got so far into constructing it.

This is gonna be a back to basics year imo. Not just because redoing IPs saves money but also because the release schedule for horror movies this year is probably gonna be completely unsettled right up until HHN, so there's less of a chance that they'll get to do a living trailer thing.

Universal Monsters/Brides, TCM, Halloween, Beetlejuice because they already closed the deal. Maybe a recycled Scare Zone or easy/cheap original house. I can't imagine they're gonna want to spend a lot.

EDIT: that having been said, a Halloween 3 maze feels like a perfect compromise between new and reuse.
I agree that Beetlejuice is a big IP but I would rank it with ghostbusters. I don't think Beetlejuice will bring all the teens the same way Billie and strangers things would have.

Not to throw a wet blanket on spec, but I think there is actually a very, very significant chance that Horror Nights does not happen in Hollywood this year. If it does, it will likely be extremely stripped down with only a handful of mazes.
I mean, for the parks we're probably looking at a Summer-ish reopening at earliest and then you have to deal with limited capacities and stuff. It makes sense that if it even happens, it won't really be the event most people are used to.

Not to throw a wet blanket on spec, but I think there is actually a very, very significant chance that Horror Nights does not happen in Hollywood this year. If it does, it will likely be extremely stripped down with only a handful of mazes.

I can actually see this, and it was something I had thoughts of back in HHN 2020's speculation period.

Would it be surprising? No. And to be honest, I can genuinely see them not going forward with the plans in place from the last HHN, and to use what they have standing as a "Halloween at Universal Studio's Hollywood". Admittedly though--the only thing that makes me question that, is of the wear and shape that the Mummy Queue and Waterworld mazes are at so-far.

I'm going to be real. If it comes back, it's not going to be a great year. I could see another 2017 where we only had two descent houses and the rest being either "eh" or a straight-up dumpster fire. Look, I miss HHN and it sucks that it's probably going to go back into hiatus AGAIN, but it's time for the HHN team to go back to square one.

I really enjoyed 2019. One of my favorite years! It's just we've been stuck with Murdy and his minimal vision for the event with no interest in evolving. I read some post on here in another thread that mentioned that the reason we always have black walls is because he refuses to go with a new vendor, He would rather just pay the higher prices from them and put black walls everywhere than to try a new vendor.

It's time for a new vision for the event. It was a good run. If another blackout year is what it takes to make HHN amazing again, then so be it.

With that said, TCM and Halloween(?) are already built, if they are willing to rebuild BJ, could we see them do what Orlando has done last year and do a "daytime" HHN? Daytime ops couldn't work for Hollywood so maybe an afterhours event like Fright Fest where you can get a wristband for the houses?

I'm going to be real. If it comes back, it's not going to be a great year. I could see another 2017 where we only had two descent houses and the rest being either "eh" or a straight-up dumpster fire. Look, I miss HHN and it sucks that it's probably going to go back into hiatus AGAIN, but it's time for the HHN team to go back to square one.

I really enjoyed 2019. One of my favorite years! It's just we've been stuck with Murdy and his minimal vision for the event with no interest in evolving. I read some post on here in another thread that mentioned that the reason we always have black walls is because he refuses to go with a new vendor, He would rather just pay the higher prices from them and put black walls everywhere than to try a new vendor.

It's time for a new vision for the event. It was a good run. If another blackout year is what it takes to make HHN amazing again, then so be it.

With that said, TCM and Halloween(?) are already built, if they are willing to rebuild BJ, could we see them do what Orlando has done last year and do a "daytime" HHN? Daytime ops couldn't work for Hollywood so maybe an afterhours event like Fright Fest where you can get a wristband for the houses?

TCM and Halloween could be easy to finish up. But my curiosity lies on Beetlejuice. I'd have to assume this would be the last chance that they may be able to use the IP; unless they renegotiate, so if any expenses are done on designing things, it may be on finding a way to put Beetlejuice somewhere close to the park property. Perhaps--Soundstage 29 might be a option.

TCM and Halloween could be easy to finish up. But my curiosity lies on Beetlejuice. I'd have to assume this would be the last chance that they may be able to use the IP; unless they renegotiate, so if any expenses are done on designing things, it may be on finding a way to put Beetlejuice somewhere close to the park property. Perhaps--Soundstage 29 might be a option.
I think Bride could be built as well as it seems to be a house with mostly
Re-used assets. They might as well build Bride and BJ for the same spot and have a walking trail that goes down there to metro.

If we do have an HHN this year or even a HHN 2021 1/2, I think this would be the best-case scenario line-up:

-TWDA
-Halloween: Season of the Witch
-TCM
-BJ
-Bride

I honestly don't see the park opening up until late 2021 so if they do go through with HHN. It's going to just be what Orlando did this year.

If we do have an HHN this year or even a HHN 2021 1/2, I think this would be the best-case scenario line-up:

-TWDA
-Halloween: Season of the Witch
-TCM
-BJ
-Bride
I think it would be cheaper for them not to use the Backlot. I've read someone that using the Backlot costs money and considering how much they have lost in the past year or so they may not have budget to do Bride and BJ.

Realistically if HHN happens I see them just doing TWD, H3, and TCM.

1610999683852.png

Saw this on the Discord. Ngl Dead Exposure at Hollywood sounds like a cool house, but is now probably not gonna happen in a while.

Just to expand on my earlier comment --

Basically everyone nonessential - and arguably some semi-essential folks - are still furloughed. Workforces are not going to be brought back on until the park knows for sure it can reopen. Vaccines are the road that get us there, but without getting political, California is being extremely cautious in its reopening strategy, especially when it comes to leisure facilities like theme parks. A good benchmark here is theaters: Fauci has stated several times that a vigorous vaccination regiment in the US could see Broadway-style theaters reopening by early to mid fall. It's fair to say that major theme parks could reopen around the same time. (I know Disney thinks internally that they're reopening in the Summer. I don't know how much I buy that unless the CA state government capitulates to economic pressures.)

With all of this in mind, the best case scenario is Universal Hollywood reopens in summer with modified operating procedures, including strict capacities, distancing, etc. Halloween Horror Nights typically starts second weekend of September. Casting for the event typically starts in April or even March, with training in August. Builds have started earlier each year but typically get going in the Spring, with a bulk happening in the summer season. Nearly all of the people responsible for overseeing the departments that make this stuff happen are still furloughed. It's true that if they reuse design work form last year, they've saved a few steps, but a good deal of construction, casting, and logistical work still needs to happen. Right now... it's not happening, and because it is expensive to do these things, Universal will likely not initiate them until they know *for sure* that they can hold Horror Nights.

So... if I were a betting man... I'd say no Horror Nights.