Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2021 (USH) - News & Info

Wasn't universal the distributor of H3?
I could be totally wrong, and I'm no copyright lawyer, but it seems like it would be a little hard to lose the rights you technically own a part of.
I think its more likely they realized having blatant stuff like that right in view of guests isn't the best idea when it hasn't been formally announced.

I have to ask--how expensive does Jaaba usually cost? I would think that because it's a troupe that is primarily established at the MGM-Grand, alongside the effort of gathering the dancers and doing the blocking and choreographing, that it would be on a large scale budget.
I don't think it's a large scale budget. I would think the costs are similar to a maze. There are fewer dancers than Scaractors - paid better I'm sure - and about 12 running crew.

Wasn't universal the distributor of H3?
I could be totally wrong, and I'm no copyright lawyer, but it seems like it would be a little hard to lose the rights you technically own a part of.
I think its more likely they realized having blatant stuff like that right in view of guests isn't the best idea when it hasn't been formally announced.
Rights are a tricky thing. Just because UNI had the rights to distribute H3 (they did) doesn't mean they own the rights to the characters, imagery and music.

Some here tend to get stuck on "well Universal distributed it why can't use it in a maze". As we have learned before there are layers to rights and several people have to sign off.

As for Jaaba my guess is the biggest expense is the rights fees for the music.

Rights are a tricky thing. Just because UNI had the rights to distribute H3 (they did) doesn't mean they own the rights to the characters, imagery and music.

Some here tend to get stuck on "well Universal distributed it why can't use it in a maze". As we have learned before there are layers to rights and several people have to sign off.

As for Jaaba my guess is the biggest expense is the rights fees for the music.
I mean, considering they've put the H3 masks and the Silver Shamrock jingle in every halloween maze to date, unless those came as a package deal with each Halloween movie they were already doing, it seems like there must not have been too much red tape to make it happen in that capacity.

I mean, considering they've put the H3 masks and the Silver Shamrock jingle in every halloween maze to date, unless those came as a package deal with each Halloween movie they were already doing, it seems like there must not have been too much red tape to make it happen in that capacity.

They still had to go through Trancreas, so it may be possible that a wire got crossed if we see more scenic takedowns of certain elements.

They still had to go through Trancreas, so it may be possible that a wire got crossed if we see more scenic takedowns of certain elements.

Yup. Also licenses (which is what the technical term is) can have clauses that state is the person paying for the license doesn't do anything with it in a certain time frame they lose it.

I am not saying that is what happened or that H3 isn't coming I am just saying these rights are very complicated things and it would be very easy to think you had one set and then find out you didn't. Especially when the entire department was furloughed and strewn all across the globe.

Sticking a non-advertised Easter Egg in a maze is very different than advertising a film by name, using it in a marketing campaign, and inserting Michael Myers into a movie where he for all intents and purposes does not appear.

Sticking a non-advertised Easter Egg in a maze is very different than advertising a film by name, using it in a marketing campaign, and inserting Michael Myers into a movie where he for all intents and purposes does not appear.
I mean the easter egg still uses copyrighted music and iconography from the movie. I'm sure there are parties other than universal involved for pretty much any movie they'd do, but I feel like H3 is still obscure enough that it would be more financially beneficial to let Universal go through with it and advertise the movie for them rather than just cutting it and probably causing a lot of trouble for both parties.
Slightly unrelated but I feel like in general including michael at all was probably a move to keep the general audience who probably hasn't see Halloween 3 from getting confused as to why Michael isn't in it despite it still carrying the Halloween title. Probably didn't want a repeat of the same reputation the movie had upon release.

I mean the easter egg still uses copyrighted music and iconography from the movie. I'm sure there are parties other than universal involved for pretty much any movie they'd do, but I feel like H3 is still obscure enough that it would be more financially beneficial to let Universal go through with it and advertise the movie for them rather than just cutting it and probably causing a lot of trouble for both parties.
Slightly unrelated but I feel like in general including michael at all was probably a move to keep the general audience who probably hasn't see Halloween 3 from getting confused as to why Michael isn't in it despite it still carrying the Halloween title. Probably didn't want a repeat of the same reputation the movie had upon release.

The situation that Halloween 2 has, is that while yes, they distributed the film, the film was produced exclusively by that of Trancrea's, which at the time of when H2 and Spirit of The Witch premiered, was produced by Trancrea's International Filma.

It's different when it comes down to it, on a level that for the sake of when Silver Shamrock has been referenced, it's been in minor and small situations, that act more as cameos and winks, as opposed to a full on telling of the story. They might be against the idea more recently, due to any number of factors. Might be that they wanted something that Universal Hollywood's team didn't comply on (look to the HHN25 Scream situation as an example of the creative team of the event going against what was signed). Might be a situation of renegotiations faltering, and they held off dismantling thematic elements, when they had the finances to resume work on the event properly.

Could be anything, but it's possible that Trancrea's was not happy, as they are the rights holders to the Halloween IP.

Announcement coming soon?

Just cuz they tweeted doesn’t mean an announcement is coming.

(But with Velocicoaster’s opening done on the other coast, I wouldn’t be surprised at any announcement that may pop up soon. I’ve heard rumblings about tickets going on sale in a week. So who knows?)