Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep thinking about if a "behind the park" area is possible at all. Something where they have the entrances to both parade houses, a smaller zone, and maybe a few food/drink stands back there.

That way, once you make your way all the way back, you're there for a little bit, and not for just one house.
How crowded do you think it would get, though? It would have to be a fairly small area for a zone, and we know of a few places that are off-limits; the giant road between the parade buildings is necessary to keep open for park vehicles. If people were making the trek all the way to the pack, do you think they might linger around longer and longer until it gets just as crowded as Central Park?

I do really like the idea of a crossover between parade buildings, but I don’t know how it would create a queue that’s fair to non-Express users. You can’t just let Express go straight in at the crossover point.

I think that, if it’s possible, it would be smart to open up more backstage areas for queue exits. Let the old parade building keep the ET exit queue, but widen it out a bit. Give the new parade building an exit queue that crosses the park vehicle road first (can be held up appropriately by the crossing guards that are already there) and runs up the side of the road, opening up to the backstage area of Animal Actors and exiting back into the main part of the park in Kidzone. This could be done in other ways, but I don’t know the layout well enough to give multiple options. Long story short, cut the loaded, bottleneck, six-minute exit queue in half by giving each house a dedicated queue.

These are mostly desires, not what I expect they’ll follow through with, but it would be lovely.

Big key for 30 is to see what they did for 20: icons return with a smaller scale history house with new originals. Three IPs unless they pull a last minute addition again. I don’t think they’ll “fix” scare zones this year but that’ll be a goal for 31.

Two large final pieces of speculation:
  1. Legendary Truth: Big focus on this again after a several year hiatus, could be for a house, as the theme of the event, or something else. Just feel like it’s time to dive into this well again.
  2. Bill & Ted: there’s just too much smoke around there has to be a fire.

So, here’s a #BaselessSpec post that is mix of personal wishlist, overreaching assumption, a tiny little bit of stuff I’ve heard through 29 and (already) about 30. More than anything I just want to post my wish list because I think it would be a killer event.

Houses:
IP
IP
IP
Terra Cruentes: For the Queen - This is the only house that matters to me. It’s been 15 years. It’s time to forge a new Gorewood blade and make the sacrifice.
Vamp: Time Twist - Let’s take Vamp, but visit a bunch of eras. The 20s! The 70s! The Wild West! Medieval! Roman! The Future! Why am I not working for Universal?!
Midway of the Bizarre - The original scarezone.
Invasion! - The aliens have returned, with help.
Field of Screams (or Harvest of Souls)
Night Maze - The zone was an attempt to do a blackout maze as a street that failed horribly. But, blackout houses work.
New Original

Zones:
Havoc (New York)
Nightingales (San Fran)
Scary Carey (Carey, OH Halloween festival) (Hollywood) - This is our “anniversary” zone, and pulls from all the Carey OH originals: Cleaver, Shadybrook, Hellgate, the Drive In, Legendary Truth, etc. This is what fans want.
Gothic (Production) - Bring back the flyers!!!
Seeds of Extinction (Central Park)
Do you really expect there won't be at least one IP zone? Seems they'd want to keep trying to squeeze the Klowns/TrT fruit.

If there is an IP decrease, seeing IP's leave the zones wouldn't shock me, considering they're the least focused on IP's usually anyways.
That's the one thing I DON'T expect to see is a decrease in IPs - maybe a philosophical change in the way they're handled, but I'd bet a butterbeer on a standard 50/50 split in the houses, and at least one IP zone.

I do really like the idea of a crossover between parade buildings, but I don’t know how it would create a queue that’s fair to non-Express users. You can’t just let Express go straight in at the crossover point.

What about a second EP merge point?

Wherever it makes physical sense to do so, have the crossover EP folks merge into the existing EP line. If an EP holder is going to get back in line and still get somewhat priority access to the house over the Standby folks, at least this still makes them stand in a bit of a line.

It would require another TM to staff the second merge point, and maybe some software updates on the scanner to indicate the difference between "scanning into the EP merge line" and "scanning for the house to prevent using EP for a second run through a house.

Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman seems very likely, since it worked in Hollywood, UM worked this year, and the 30th needs some classic monster representation. Plus, Universal will want to push the classic gang as much as possible in the buildup to Epic. Perhaps you can throw Drac in there and have a War of the Monsters thing.

Halloween makes sense because it checks both the “classic 80s slasher” box and the “IPs currently being marketed” boxes.

Beetlejuice nails both the “lighter IP” box (and I still think you need that) and the “history of the event” box.

As an added bonus, classic monsters, Halloween, and Bettlejuice get you most of the way to a good harbor show, with familiar, diverse music and strong visuals.

As others have stated, Candyman and more Zombie also seems likely. Creepshow would be a lot of fun, but I wonder if Uni might not lean more heavily into Tales From the Crypt for the “anthology” vibe, given a presumed focus on event history.

We need Gremlins, but that seems like more of a 31 thing.

Bill & Ted: there’s just too much smoke around there has to be a fire.
I'm honestly shocked that nobody else has considered this on the forums. I said this in the (now locked, RIP) IPs to Come thread, but with the references and Face the Music's release next August, there's no way they're not coming back next year.

(as far as anniversary/icon stuff goes, i'll keep quiet, because i think you guys can tell who i want back...:look:)

Terra Cruentes: For the Queen - This is the only house that matters to me. It’s been 15 years. It’s time to forge a new Gorewood blade and make the sacrifice.

Someone may correct me on this, but the shield sitting outside Nightingales .... was this not the Terra Queen’s emblem? A not so subtle hint at what’s coming for 30?

Did you see the lines Stranger Things got? I desperately hope you’re right, but based off the number of kids this year I doubt it. :(

Yeah, those people in line eventually got out and weren't happy.

And yes, I saw the kids. I don't know what Universal plans on doing, if anything at all, but they've been a nuisance and something needs to be done. I've been advocating for an age limit without a parent and I think that's what needs to be done. IDK why the hell Mel's became the "Hang Out Spot" for most nights. There'd be 50-60 kids at a time, all just chillin over at the outside tables.

I've been hearing rumors that 30 has the potential to be a dual-park event. Hypothetically speaking, how realistic is this scenario?

They've been teasing a dual-park event since 2010. 2004's event had mixed success with it. IDK if they wanna have 2 parks close at 5p. If it was ever a time to do dual parks, it would be 30 - but as of now, I'd put it in the very wishful thinking category.

That's the one thing I DON'T expect to see is a decrease in IPs - maybe a philosophical change in the way they're handled, but I'd bet a butterbeer on a standard 50/50 split in the houses, and at least one IP zone.

Here's a couple things:

1. The IP well isn't infinite and is close to drying up. We only have a handful of IPs that can truly anchor an event (Scream, IT, Conjuring, and a few others) with several that are definite 2nd tier co-liners (Hellraiser, Amityville Horror). Still, we're not sure what the WB situation is, and FOX is now completely off the table. They gotta slow it down a bit.

2. This year showed they don't need to license out for several big IP's - because it didn't get them to where they wanted attendance-wise but also, the guests responded differently.

Get the big IP to market, with a couple of smaller headliners and that'll bring 'em out.

I'm honestly shocked that nobody else has considered this on the forums. I said this in the (now locked, RIP) IPs to Come thread, but with the references and Face the Music's release next August, there's no way they're not coming back next year.

I don't want to get anybody's hopes up. :lol:

Someone may correct me on this, but the shield sitting outside Nightingales .... was this not the Terra Queen’s emblem? A not so subtle hint at what’s coming for 30?

They re-use props all the time. They used the shield in the Fallen, too.

And yes, I saw the kids. I don't know what Universal plans on doing, if anything at all, but they've been a nuisance and something needs to be done. I've been advocating for an age limit without a parent and I think that's what needs to be done. IDK why the hell Mel's became the "Hang Out Spot" for most nights. There'd be 50-60 kids at a time, all just chillin over at the outside tables.

I’ve got no problem with kids at the event. However, my brother and I went twice for food at Mels and just gave up because of the kids taking up all the space, w/o any food, and yelling / running all over the place. Looked and sounded like an out of control daycare. Scarezone of the year.

Feel like WB IPs make their appearance this year. Suspect It, Gremlins, and Sabrina have a house. Stranger Things returns. Please no Halloween, but Peele gets Candy Man or creates his own original.

Wasn't last official word that WB's event was only "on hiatus" in 2019, they still hoped to bring it back in 2020? Until it's declared dead, I think WB IPs are off the table. Freddy and Jason off the table, as well then.

I do really like the idea of a crossover between parade buildings, but I don’t know how it would create a queue that’s fair to non-Express users. You can’t just let Express go straight in at the crossover point..

Ideally it would help all guests--but if it can only help those whose Express Pass cost more than a 1-night ticket, I could live with that too. Express doesn't need that long a queue, I never saw Monsters get back to the floats, at least it would be something.

Bill & Ted: there’s just too much smoke around there has to be a fire.

I'm sure you've heard what I've heard about it definitely being in contention. But I also remember hearing a pretty detailed run-down of why it was cut 2 years ago. If it returns, I would expect a very different show featuring the two leads, but with limited amount of IP-directed satire (and even then mostly Universal-owned IPs).

I’ve got no problem with kids at the event. However, my brother and I went twice for food at Mels and just gave up because of the kids taking up all the space, w/o any food, and yelling / running all over the place. Looked and sounded like an out of control daycare. Scarezone of the year.

That's why I think Universal would have no problem implementing some limits. They aren't spending and most of them are causing headaches (yelling, causing a ruckus, disrespectful towards guests and scare actors). I don't want to be an old man yelling at a cloud here, but they suck. :lol:

I hope this year's speculation/discussions is more enjoyable than last year. Really bothersome that most of the content was "leaked" around June.

Some thoughts:

Mazes

Stranger Things (unless Netflix found themselves disappointed) will more than likely be back. It would be an idiotic decision not to continue having this at the event.

IP/Original Ratio - Keep it the same as these past two years, it's a perfect formula.

Zones
Central Park - Zone has been very difficult to walk through, but can easily be fixed by adding props behind the fence. Main issue with this zone is that you have props along the walkway, severely limiting walking space.

Production Central - follow the Harvest/Anarch-ade route.

Shows
Bill and Ted - More than likely being discussed. Main issue is if they decide to do it, where do you put them? AoV was fantastic this year, purely phenomenal, I don't want them gone. Let's say they do decide to bring back Marathon of Mayhem and put AoV in a pop-up stage by Mel's, along with a zone in Central Park... that's a crowd control nightmare. More than likely, we will see AoV OR Bill and Ted.

Operations
Something has to be done with the parades. I know it's a far walk but at least make it less undesirable. Add misters, fix the Express issue for the old parade building, and fix the exit situation. Having two mazes exit through a tiny little pathway through the E.T. queue is insane.

Vanity Ball could have been a great zone if all the actors decided to actually scare.

Children with parental supervision are fine. The unsupervised ones are the issue. I like the idea being tossed around here of adding an age limit without adult supervision. But it won't happen considering the hassle of actually enforcing such a policy. It'll only add a longer wait to enter the turnstiles.

Dual-park ain't happening. Yes the event is crowded, but this year has shown me that with two major IPs the park can still handle the crowds.

Status
Not open for further replies.