The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 465 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saying, Bill and Ted and RHPS were good breaks from the event. Sit down, enjoy some campy jokes, take a breather. AoV is not. It’s fun, but nerve wracking watching some of those performances. I liked having both AoV and B&T. AoV doesn’t serve the same purpose as a mid event reset.

This is why I’m not a fan of more then one house being played for comedy. I could see Tooth Fairy, for instance, being very scary, but I could also see it being comedic.

Last edited:
This is why I’m not a fan of more then one house being played for comedy. I could see Tooth Fairy, for instance, being very scary, but I could also see it being comedic.
I enjoyed both Killer Klowns and Ghostbusters last year. I think they can support up to 2 comedic houses. As long as they have horror elements I enjoy them. Would die for a Treehouse of Terror.

I enjoyed both Killer Klowns and Ghostbusters last year. I think they can support up to 2 comedic houses. As long as they have horror elements I enjoy them. Would die for a Treehouse of Terror.

Keep in mind I'm throwing houses that are aimed at younger crowds (Stranger Things), and/or aren't necessarily horror, into that category too. Basically, I feel like three houses that lean toward the "lighter" side are okay when there's ten. But the rest need to be played completely straight.

Last edited:
Keep in mind I'm throwing houses that are aimed at younger crowds (Stranger Things), and/or aren't necessarily horror, into that category too. Basically, I feel like three houses that lean toward the "lighter" side are okay when there's ten.
Agreed, just looking at the Hollywood quality sets/props is enough to keep me coming back. When there’s a show I like, like Stranger Things it’s a bonus. Does anyone have info on any upcoming merchandise? A Slaughter Sinema, Yeti keychain? Magnet?

Couple ideas about the FF theater:

1. If there is no show, and it is to be used as a rest area, who's to say they don't put up a giant screen and play clips from HHN past, or famous Universal horror movies (similar to the screens that play old TV clips at the Cabana Bay food court).

2. What if they used a screen to play a pre-recorded show? It probably doesn't work for something like AoV, but a 15-20 min "show" hosted by *insert any name here* (Bill & Ted, Jack, Beetlejuice, ). Safer from a performer perspective in that they wouldn't have to get too close to one another or touch besides the day of filming. Plus, if it is not live, they can play the show far more times per night to make up for the reduced capacity.

Couple ideas about the FF theater:

1. If there is no show, and it is to be used as a rest area, who's to say they don't put up a giant screen and play clips from HHN past, or famous Universal horror movies (similar to the screens that play old TV clips at the Cabana Bay food court).

2. What if they used a screen to play a pre-recorded show? It probably doesn't work for something like AoV, but a 15-20 min "show" hosted by *insert any name here* (Bill & Ted, Jack, Beetlejuice, ). Safer from a performer perspective in that they wouldn't have to get too close to one another or touch besides the day of filming. Plus, if it is not live, they can play the show far more times per night to make up for the reduced capacity.

The argument would be that wouldn't require shutting down the the theater, covering the sign, and putting out the folding sign.

I still haven’t gotten confirmation of anything, but here are my thoughts on Bill and Ted and FFL (if it matters).

Any show requires rights and a cast (and a script, but A&D has writers). Now, Universal had the long-term rights for Bill and Ted and could easily purchase their use for one year. The relationship is there. However, speculation at the they ended Bill and Ted was that the cost was going to increase because of the movie, and that was two years ago. Buying the rights the year of, for a show while the would still be in theaters, would be even more expensive. Universal “could” afford it, but unless they already had them purchased, it would be odd with the budget cuts happening throughout the resort. They have the rights to Beetlejuice and their icons though, so could use them with no issues.

Second, they need a cast. This where it gets a little wonky. Bill and Ted had open auditions where anyone could go in with their best pop culture impression and Universal would work them into the show. The other way they’d cast/write the show is knowing what impressions their in-house performers can do. Obviously, they haven’t done open auditions. Which means they’re casting strictly in-house or known performers. That’s fine for Bill and Ted, especially if they’re only using returning characters, but it would be odd. On the other hand, their in-house cast is how they’ve done previous icon shows (most of them are still there), and they have a collection of BJs at their disposal.

But, here’s a wrinkle: rumor is they had a Beetlejuice show written for last year. It was planned, but Legal kiboshed it (it was essentially Bill and Ted, only with BJ). However, with another year of development and a need for capacity and crowd distribution, they could have figured out how to make it work.

That said, I honestly have no idea what’s going on in there yet.

@Legacy I think any hope of B&T this year vanished in mid-March. An icons focused Academy if Villains (or an icons show with AoV) makes the most sense.
But, even with that, when I had told “no shows” it was coupled with “No AoV.” That could have changed, of course, but any show development for something with AoV would require Pharside to already be in Orlando (or arriving extremely soon). And, again, it would be a contracted performance when they’re trying to save money.

Assuming a show is happening, I’d think it’s purely in-house. Either Icons, or Beetlejuice, or something else new entirely.

At same time though, I’m fairly skeptical of Bill & Ted hitting theaters this year. I personally think it’s going to VOD.
Honestly, I think the same thing. But the remains, and Universal would have purchased the by now ( when they’re still “planning” for a theatrical release).

Reactions: Tbad556
Honestly, I think the same thing. But the remains, and Universal would have purchased the by now ( when they’re still “planning” for a theatrical release).
If Universal has any decent lawyers to argue over contractual details, I would think that they could argue try and bring their price down by arguing that even if the film is released, it likely won't do good box office in the middle of a pandemic and a presence at Universal would be some of the best advertising that Orion could ask for during this time. Especially if they agreed to make a Bill & Ted plot synergized with the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.