Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Max (Streaming Service)

I don't know how likely an HBO Max name change is once the Discovery deal is approved, but honestly I think the best option is to leave as is. At launch, the name was a mess because you had HBO GO and HBO Now as well. Thankfully, they've dumped both of those services and those names no longer exists meaning no more confusion. And leaving Discovery+ and HBO Max separate (much like Hulu and Disney+ are) is the best way to go to get maximum profit imo. Eventually, maybe you merge Discovery+ with MAX, but I don't think it's necessary right now, nor do I think a name change to HBO Max is necessary any longer.

I don't know how likely an HBO Max name change is once the Discovery deal is approved, but honestly I think the best option is to leave as is. At launch, the name was a mess because you had HBO GO and HBO Now as well. Thankfully, they've dumped both of those services and those names no longer exists meaning no more confusion. And leaving Discovery+ and HBO Max separate (much like Hulu and Disney+ are) is the best way to go to get maximum profit imo. Eventually, maybe you merge Discovery+ with MAX, but I don't think it's necessary right now, nor do I think a name change to HBO Max is necessary any longer.

I agree, that's the sensible thing to do, but this is Warner so they will likely do the opposite!

Can't get excited about films that they promoted alongside the launch of HBO Max finally coming back to the service.

Give me a high quality HP Series and then i'll start to care.

The films actually returned a couple of months ago. This is a reunion special similar to the one they did for Friends.

Mortal Kombat was the highest watched day and day release film on HBO....also side note the animated MK films on HBO are also a fun time

Mortal Kombat was the highest watched day and day release film on HBO....also side note the animated MK films on HBO are also a fun time

It only made $83M Worldwide though. HBO Max day and date killed literally every release on WB's schedule this year and even still, the biggest driver of subs to HBO Max was not one of these day and date releases. It wasn't even Succession. It was the Sex and the City continuation And Just Like That.

It only made $83M Worldwide though. HBO Max day and date killed literally every release on WB's schedule this year and even still, the biggest driver of subs to HBO Max was not one of these day and date releases. It wasn't even Succession. It was the Sex and the City continuation And Just Like That.
They should move to what Disney is doing and having the films in theaters and then 40-60 days later be on HBO

honestly I HBO right now because I got a deal for it gone half off and young justice season 4 came out

I doubt I’ll keep it after that, unless GOT really is that amazing

They should move to what Disney is doing and having the films in theaters and then 40-60 days later be on HBO

honestly I HBO right now because I got a deal for it gone half off and young justice season 4 came out

I doubt I’ll keep it after that, unless GOT really is that amazing
That's what they are moving to. There's no more WB day and date releases scheduled. However the date that The Batman is hitting HBO Max is already known. It will be coming to HBO Max April 19th as of now, which is exactly 46 days after it is released into theaters on March 4th.

Did anyone watch the Potter Reunion?

I was surprised how much I liked it, most of it was more them talking about how the films were made and behind the scenes stuff which i loved over them just reuniting

Thanks to a HUGE back catalogue that seems to be ever changing, this is my favorite streaming service.

My monthly movie playlist is pretty much made up of HBOMax's Leaving Soon selections interspersed with a few others from time to time.

The sheer depth of content and how easy it is to navigate really helps.

I hate the name, honestly, and think it hurt them right out of the gate, but they have more than made up for that stumble with a wealth of offerings.

Thanks to a HUGE back catalogue that seems to be ever changing, this is my favorite streaming service.

My monthly movie playlist is pretty much made up of HBOMax's Leaving Soon selections interspersed with a few others from time to time.

I hate the name, honestly, and think it hurt them right out of the gate, but they have more than made up for that stumble with a wealth of offerings.
It's definitely the best streaming service after Netflix imo. The ever changing catalog thing will eventually stop as a lot of that is the fact that HBO had pre-existing deals with Disney, Fox, Universal, etc and all are still active, although the Disney one leaves them with real crap titles, and while their Fox agreement gets them some great movies, that deal ends after this year. I'm not quite sure when the deal with Universal or other studios ends though, but after a few more years, pretty much all deals should be over.

HBO Max is great if you like dramatic content. The issue though for me is a lot of the back catalog especially the HBO series, I have seen so many times and the new content isn't fun enough for me (The only new HBO max show I really enjoyed was Sex Lives of College Girls (College version of Netflix's Never Had I Ever).

I thinksince Succession ended, I've used Peacock and Paramount + more than any other service.

It's definitely the best streaming service after Netflix imo. The ever changing catalog thing will eventually stop as a lot of that is the fact that HBO had pre-existing deals with Disney, Fox, Universal, etc and all are still active, although the Disney one leaves them with real crap titles, and while their Fox agreement gets them some great movies, that deal ends after this year. I'm not quite sure when the deal with Universal or other studios ends though, but after a few more years, pretty much all deals should be over.
That's interesting to note that those deals will be expiring. We will see where they stand in my estimation once that happens

I honestly probably spend most of my time on HBOMax watching their TCM curated movies and their Studio Ghibli collection, so hopefully they can strike deals to keep that stuff around for some time.

For me, personally, Netflix lost much of its appeal as these other streaming services began to pop up and they had to focus on original content. I find most of Netflix's original movies to be not great and their back catalogue is less than stellar.

I like Disney+, but I don't like how hard they have made it to navigate.

Hulu works for me mostly for current TV shows as their movie selection is really hit or miss.

Amazon Prime has been gaining ground lately, but again it is not the easiest service to navigate.

I have yet to delve into Paramount+ yet

The only thing I ever went to Peacock to see was their old SNL episodes, and they were so horribly edited/cut down that I just didn't bother with it after that.

Right now, the three tops for us are HBOMax, Disney+, and Netflix, probably in that order. I will be interested to see how those preferences change in the coming year(s)

That's interesting to note that those deals will be expiring. We will see where they stand in my estimation once that happens

I honestly probably spend most of my time on HBOMax watching their TCM curated movies and their Studio Ghibli collection, so hopefully they can strike deals to keep that stuff around for some time.

For me, personally, Netflix lost much of its appeal as these other streaming services began to pop up and they had to focus on original content. I find most of Netflix's original movies to be not great and their back catalogue is less than stellar.

I like Disney+, but I don't like how hard they have made it to navigate.

Hulu works for me mostly for current TV shows as their movie selection is really hit or miss.

Amazon Prime has been gaining ground lately, but again it is not the easiest service to navigate.

I have yet to delve into Paramount+ yet

The only thing I ever went to Peacock to see was their old SNL episodes, and they were so horribly edited/cut down that I just didn't bother with it after that.

Right now, the three tops for us are HBOMax, Disney+, and Netflix, probably in that order. I will be interested to see how those preferences change in the coming year(s)
I think the best thing that happened to Netflix (and us as consumers) was these other services popping up and them having to come up with a lot original content. A lot is crap, but a lot is really good, too. The era of original content has mostly died off everywhere except Netflix and HBO Max. I love IP based genre shows, but I also love some great scripted originals that become new franchises. Or funding original movies that would never get the funding for a theatrical release with a traditional studio which is what you see from Netflix and Apple TV+ a little with things like The Irishman, Don't Look Up, or Killers of the Flower Moon.

HBO is cool but Netflix is still king. Even if most the stuff they put out I dont watch we get sooooo many shows and movies their has to be something you want to watch from them.
Dont look Up, was huge. Witcher season 2 and Cobra Kai season 4 are both being loved by fans.
For movies this month they have a ton of great films like Hell and High Water, The Town, True Grit (remake that launched hailee steinfeld career) and fun films like Kung Fo Panda

So I just noticed while watching College Basketball that one of the best Max Originals in The Flight Attendant is going to air on TBS since nobody seems to have seen it when it originally aired. This is coming shortly ahead of Season 2 on HBO Max, but I just thought that it was pretty funny that so few people watched such a good show that they are re-airing it on cable and promoting it as if it's a "new show" for their spring lineup.

Watched the latest Max Original film Moonshot, which came out last Thursday. Best way to describe it is a Rom-Com in Space, set in the year 2049.

The biggest name in this film was Zach Braff, so it was a pretty low-key cast, mostly made up of people who recently have only been known from smaller cable shows and streaming shows/movies. Riverdale's Cole Sprouse and To All The Boys franchise lead Lana Condor co-star in this film with Mason Gooding (Love, Victor), Emily Rudd (Fear Street), Christine Adams (Black Lightning), etc. There is a few actors in this film who are more established and have grown into things bigger shows (Lukas Gage) such as The White Lotus and Euphoria. The movie was wisely cast in that regard and it allowed actors who don't normally get movie roles a chance to star.

I thought the cast on the whole, especially Michelle Buteau's character that pops in every now in then to bring some needed humor to an otherwise dry rom-com. I think overall it was well acted and the cast did everything they could to bring this script to life.

However, the dialogue was rather dry as I stated above so while I enjoyed the movie enough, mostly for Sprouse and Condor's characters, if i'm gonna watch a rom-com, I usually like there to be a bit more comedy than this one had. I was hoping for better with this movie as the trailer gave me hope, but at least I didn't watch The Bubble, which from what i've heard is terrible. There was also some things that just didn’t make sense from a logic standpoint.