Hersheypark 2012: Skyrush | Inside Universal Forums

Hersheypark 2012: Skyrush

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feb 27, 2010
Oviedo, FL
Over the past few months there have been rumors spreading of a new coaster for Hersheypark opening 2012 (from Screamscape):

2012 - Attraction 2012 - (12/3/10) Keystone thrills was able to take pictures in the Creekside catering area last week, uncovering a number of other survey markers.
(11/19/10) Screamscape sources tell us that the station for the 2012 coaster will indeed take over the current Tilt-A-Whirl site, with the ride’s queue taking over the site of the nearby bathroom in Comet Hollow. While we don’t know the entire layout, our source says to expect to see it go down past the Comet’s entrance and follow the creek up to the existing dam area by the picnic pavilion near the Comet’s turnaround.
(10/20/10) The latest rumor about Hersheypark’s 12th coaster project seems to indicate that the station for the new ride may be located near or even on the site of the old skyride station near the front entrance. Speaking of the new coaster, I had a thought. Given the questions asked by the RIT labcoats were all about the role water plays in a ride and drop ride sensations, could we be seeing a new B&M Dive Machine here?
(10/19/10) The crazy Hersheypark marketing team is at it again with what seems to be another Nantimi style viral marketing plot. Over the weekend there were a few people in white lab coats approaching guests to conduct surveys invoving questions about Airtime, water elements in rides and questions about freefall / drop rides. Fortunately for us, the staff of Keystone Thrills were one such group of guests surveyed, and have reported on the event.
Each of these lab coat staff members were wearing nametags, claiming to be staff from the “Ride Institute of Technology”. And the end of the survey, guests were given some exit passes and another small envelope with puzzle pieces in it. If you put the puzzle together it featured the RIT logo, website address and a message, “See u in the spring. Ride on!” Looking at the picture of the puzzle you’ll also notice that two of the puzzle piece are shaped like backwards numbers, so if you looked at the back of the puzzle it would make the number “12”. 12… not only as coming in 2012… but also because this will likely be the park’s 12th coaster. Now I wonder if there was a message at all on the back too… mirror writing, black-light writing, anything…
As for the website, there is a short interesting story, but no hard clues I could find… nor did I really expect to at this point in the game. No kissing on the first date after all, though they do provide an e-mail address to write into as well. Don’t bother looking to see who registered the site either… it’s been protected to cover up the owner’s identity. Nothing jumping out at me in the html code either I’m afraid, but feel free to poke around yourself as well.
While you ponder all this, Keystone Thrills has also sent us a link to their latest construction update at the park, showing off the various markings now in place.
(9/14/10) Keystone Thrills has posted some new pictures of the Comet Hollow area being prepared for some kind of construction to begin soon.
(8/28/10) So just what is going to Hershypark in 2012? No one is entirely sure, but the clues just keep coming. According to this article, they confirmed that they are seeking to rebalance the crowd level in the park by adding a major attraction to the Hollow side of the park. While they didn’t use the word coaster, it’s the most likely attraction to be on the way and will stand 212.2 feet tall. If I had to guess, I wonder if we’ll seen an expanded version of an Intamin Mega-Lite.
(8/19/10) The latest buzz for the big Hersheypark attraction does seem to back up that this may not open until the 2012 season. But after taking 2010 off from adding anything new at all, surely something new is on the way for 2011 as well you would think.
(8/7/10) Apparently the hint Hersheypark posted on their Facebook account may not have been a hint about the new attraction at all. I’m told it was followed up by a second posting that said, “Now get ready to see Hershey from your own two feet! Get ready for the first Hershey Half Marathon on Sunday, October 3. ” Bummer… but then again this is Hersheypark we’re talking about, and they’ve proven to be quite innovative about how they drop hints and tease about a new attraction in the past. (Ahem… Nantimi anyone?)
(8/6/10) Pictures of new Survey markings have been posted to Keystone Thills this week. Stakes are starting to show up this week and I’m told that there is a local meeting at the township slated for August 19th where they will discuss a proposal from Hersheypark for something big enough to need a height limit waver for something bigger than 200 feet tall, but no taller than 350 ft. So far they’ve only identfyed it as ‘Attraction 2012”. This brings us to a unique hint Hersheypark dropped as well as on their Facebook page that said: “Youve seen Hershey from the Kissing Tower.....Youve Seen Hershey from Storm Runner.....now get ready to see Hershey from......” It seems in indicate that something tall is on the way for sure.
(7/26/10) RCPro has posted new pictures of the current construction markings at Hersheypark.
(7/22/10) Keystone Thrills has posted some pictures showing off some new survey markings on the ground near the Creekside Catering area. There is still some debate about if this project is for 2011 or 2012… though one rumor suggests that it may be both. Following the rumor that this may be an new Intamin coaster, our source suggests that a section of the ride may actually punch through the venerable Comet, which would have to have it’s structure modified a bit to handle this in time to reopen for 2011, and possibly save the new ride until 2012. It’s only a rumor… don’t get worried just yet.
If that wasn’t enough, one of our readers supplied us with an overhead picture of the park, with red dots where all the survey markers were seen as of last month. I’m sure more have been spotted by now, but even then you can see the area being surveyed is quite large.
(7/7/10) Some may be thinking back to the coaster project that got away from Hersheypark… Turbulence (aka: Frequent Faller), as a possible inspiration for the park to buy a ZacSpin coaster from Intamin. However it has also been pointed out that the overall project area contained within the known survey points is really far too large for a ZacSpin, so we’ve got to think bigger. Could Hersheypark be thinking of building the first Mega-Lite coaster in the US perhaps? We know they have been a huge hit internationally. Of course Intamin also has a few other tricks we have yet to see in the US like the Wingwalker coaster, the new Spinning Coaster or even the infamous AquaTrax system. So far all we have is very mild rumors and lots of speculation. Time to do some digging.
(7/6/10) While nothing more have been firmed up, the latest rumor going around the park does seem to indicate that the next coaster at Hersheypark will likely be from Intamin again.
(6/14/10) The latest rumors swirling around Hersheypark’s next big coaster project actually now throw Premier Rides into the mix with Intamin as well… and hint that B&M is now more unlikely. Many also seem to think that the project may not be until the 2012 season, though with surveying going on right now, anything can happen.
As for those markers, I’ve been contacted by a reader with some professional experience as an actual surveyor and was told that the markings we’ve seen so far have nothing at all to do with the layout of the project. All of the triangle markings found so far have a “Mag Nail” driven into the asphalt in the center and are actually “Control Points”, which are then usually number sequentially as they are created. These points mark the locations the surveyors use to work from... and not the location of the project itself. If people look hard enough, there should be more of these Control Points discovered around the site, as they are set up in a loop around the actual area where the work will be done. So once all the different Control Points are discovered, we should have a large loop surrounding the overall location of the new project area. However the loop could be quite large... much larger than the actual project itself, as I’m told that the permitter loop would also include any and all sites where other infrastructure work (electric, water, sewer, roads, walkways, etc) will also be modifed or tied into.
So really the best thing to do right now, other than to find more markers, would be to also create an overhead map showing off the location of each discovered and numbered marker as time goes on.
(6/10/10) Lots of rumors are starting to swirl about the next big coaster in the works for Hersheypark… both good and bad. Starting with the bad news, one rumor claims that this could result in the end of the classic Sooper-Dooper Looper, though I really hope that one is wrong.
As always, there are tons of rumors claiming that the park’s next coaster will be a B&M at last again, despite the fact that they had been sticking with Intamin for the last few. If they do go with B&M, the ride could be either a Flyer or possibly even a Hypercoaster, but there is no telling what it may be if they go with Intamin. Certainly an Intamin Mega-Lite coaster would go over well in this area too, but it’s too early to tell.
(6/8/10) A few pictures showing off some of the survey markings being made in Comet Hollow at Hersheypark can be found at Keystone Thrills.
(6/2/10) I’m told that small white triangle looking survey markers can be found around the Comet Hollow area. One is even said to be placed right under a section of Great Bear’s track. Anyone have pictures?
(6/1/10) The latest rumor sent in about Hersheypark claims that they may be looked at obtaining a new B&M coaster creation in the next two years. While nothing is set in stone yet, I’m told that the rumor going around is that the station may be placed in the Comet Hollow section of the park, which is also expected to see the Tilt-A-Whirl removed after this season. More when we find out.

Also construction seems to have started:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42955&start=660#p990503

From Screamscape:

2012 - Attraction 2012 - (3/2/11) Special thanks to a special Screamscape source for sending in this new image of the 2012 coaster project area. They marked off the approximate locations of where we can expect to find the station and “lift house” as well as were the various footers are to be located. In many ways, the overall project area looks to mimic the same basic layout as The Comet. Speaking of The Comet, the new coaster may actually cover over both the The Comet’s first and second drops at one point while crossover over the water and may make the trip down towards the picnic pavilions twice during the course of the ride.
(2/17/11) While we still don’t know a lot about the 2012 coaster on the way to Hersheypark, it seem fairly certain it is an Intamin mega-coaster of some kind, with a likely layout that could be best described as a somewhat twisted out-n-back that will leave Comet Hollow and run down to the catering area and back again alongside the river.
One thing is interest has come up however, which is that Hersheypark is apparently looking into their options for a queue management system to use in 2012 as well. I’m told that nothing firm has been decided and they are looking at all the options from something electronic like Lo-Q to a basic ticket book or day-pass style system they can handle entirely in-house.
(2/14/11) Keystone Thrills is back with a new video update about the preperation work taking place for the 2012 coaster. You’ll have to scroll down towards the bottom of the page to find it.
(2/7/11) A photo update at Hersheypark, which includes a few outside looks at some of the mystery 2012 project area has been posted to Keystone Thrills. If you just want to see the construction area, click here.

They also posted a pic today:

2011_0302_Hersheypark2012.jpg

From Screamscape:

2012 - Attraction 2012 / Project X - (3/23/11) The latest rumor about the Hersheypark 2012 coaster to come in claims that the new creation may be quite long, which will be especially impressive in a park known for it’s small to average length coasters. If this particular rumor is true, the coaster may end up being close to 1.5 miles in length, which would put it near 7920 feet long. (Maybe they should have called it Project XXL instead of Project X.)
For some comparison, the longest coaster in the world right now is Steel Dragon 2000 at 8133 feet. The longest coaster in the USA is The Beast (ranked 3rd world-wide) which has 7359 feet of track. It sure would be nice to see the Hersheypark 2012 coaster beat either of these records.
(3/21/11) According to one source, construction work may have started in the creek area for the 2012 coaster project. They tell us “they have damed the creek up before comet” and have several pumps moving the way past the construction site where digging may have begun.
Meanwhile a few new pictures of the site have been posted to DestinationHersheyPA.com this week showing off exactly where this work is taking place in the park.
(3/8/11) The fun and games with the Ride Institute has begun again it seems, as e-mail contact was made with the group at Keystone Thrills this past week. Check out what has progressed so far here (scroll down to see the new part). This has led to more pages, password hacks and language translations to indicate that the announcement for the ride will take place in August.

The Coaster Critic's latest status regarding the 2012 coaster:

The Coaster Critic on Facebook

Hersheypark's 2012 coaster is definitely an Intamin! Check out these supports that were spotted at the park. Thanks to Key Stone Thrills via Coastin' East.

You'll need to go to his Facebook page for the pic.

Also from Screamscape:

2012 - Attraction 2012 / Project X - (6/9/11) What appears to be a stack of powder blue steel supports have arrived on site at Hersheypark, which appears to be of Intamin design. You can see pictures posted to PA Coaster News.

Last edited:
Hershey coasters are underwhellming but thats just me.

I think they're actually very fun and thrilling, but too short. Storm Runner is the perfect example. It is the most intense ride I've been on so far, but it only lasts about 25 seconds. The length is the only reason this may not be my favorite coaster. I still havent decided.

Hersheypark to unveil 'mystery' ride soon

A Hersheypark official said this week will soon unveil the new attraction that has stirred up so much attention among park fans and visitors in recent months.

"The park will be making a formal announcement in August," said Kathy Burrows, manager of Public Relations for Hershey Entertainment and Resorts Co. in an email.

Burrows said there has been a lot of speculation about the new attraction, especially on the park's Facebook page, where the company has been dropping clues, trying to create interest in the mystery attraction.

But company officials continue to be mum when directly asked about the ride.

In August 2010, Tim Przybylowski, vice president of Century Engineering of Hunt Valley, Md., presented a request to Derry Township's planners for a roller coaster ride that would exceed some of the municipality's zoning requirements, including maximum height.

The ride would be installed in what is known as the Hollow, a low-lying area bisected by the Spring Creek. It is surrounded in part by the wooden Comet and steel SooperDooperLooper coasters. The attraction would rise to a height of 212.2 feet, or 12.2 feet over what is permitted. It will not be the tallest attraction in the amusement park. That title belongs to the Kissing Tower at a height of 330 feet.

Two existing buildings used for catering in the Hollow were removed to make room for the new attraction, and the attraction requires the construction of 32 support columns within the area of a man-made pond on the site.

In April, the company filed for a building permit with the township but contained no significant details about the attraction.

The company now only needs a permit for the ride house, or the place where visitors get on the attraction, according to Charles Emerick, assistant director of Community Development for Derry Township. The company will need to get that permit before it can open the ride in 2012, he said.

The township already has approved the footage and foundation for the attraction, he said.

Would it be safe to say that this will be open for the 2012 season? The footers are already in, and now they just need to screw in the pieces, build the station, and connect it to the rest of the park (leaving some time for testing). It can't take more than 10 months, right?

The ride was announced earlier today! Skyrush. As predicted by the sightings of supports, it is an Intamin. It's basically a hypercoaster with 4 across seating, having the 2 outside seats floorless. It will be the tallest, fastest and longest coaster in the park.

The park's website and Facebook page are both overloaded right now, but you can see more info and a video with a pov at: Skyrush (Read @ Behindthethrils.com)

It opened yesterday to RAVE reviews and quote "it has the most extreme airtime of any coaster I have ever been on." Looks like they have a real winner here.

[video=youtube;OiRsuxy653w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiRsuxy653w[/video]