HHN 2021: Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 2021: Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Even as one of the few optimistic for this year on this board, I have a hard time justifying this maze's existence lol

Based on what happened this year, I doubt it.
What happened? @Legacy and his band of merry pranksters used it as a misdirect in Orlando, and H3 got swopped for H4 in Hollywood. Unless I'm much mistaken, H3 is a Universal property free and clear, so I doubt a rights issue there, so why not hang onto it until you can do it right in Orl and have a shared IP?

What happened? @Legacy and his band of merry pranksters used it as a misdirect in Orlando, and H3 got swopped for H4 in Hollywood. Unless I'm much mistaken, H3 is a Universal property free and clear, so I doubt a rights issue there, so why not hang onto it until you can do it right in Orl and have a shared IP?

They designed and built the maze in Hollywood and then lost the rights and had to hastily switch it over to Halloween 4. Licenses and clearances are often never as simple or straightforward as they should be, unfortunately, even when something is ostensibly a Universal property. Stakeholders have to agree, and compensation has to be negotiated - especially for older films that don't include themed entertainment carveouts.

We were able to use it as a misdirect for Orlando because it was supposed to happen for Hollywood. It’s the same way were able to use Shudder as a misdirect because, last year, we were supposed to have Creepshow.

We were able to use it as a misdirect for Orlando because it was supposed to happen for Hollywood. It’s the same way were able to use Shudder as a misdirect because, last year, we were supposed to have Creepshow.
Do you think they lost the rights for Orlando as well? That's all I care about after all

Definitely disappointing to lose Halloween 3. I love the idea of having more deep cut, "horror fan" houses like that or Creepshow or Trick 'r' Treat (to a bit lesser extent, but still). I didn't hate this maze at all the first time around, but I can't say I'm super excited to experience it again.

Reactions: Clive
I also want to point out, my (“our”) misdirect started after we knew Hollywood had lost H3. Hollywood lost H3 because they failed to cover the Lucky Shamrock logo, which the rights holders basically viewed as “breaking the embargo” by Hollywood itself.

The spec maps didn’t have a thing to do with it.

Reactions: RevFreako
I also want to point out, my (“our”) misdirect started after we knew Hollywood had lost H3. Hollywood lost H3 because they failed to cover the Lucky Shamrock logo, which the rights holders basically viewed as “breaking the embargo” by Hollywood itself.

The spec maps didn’t have a thing to do with it.
If that's all it was, would there be a chance for it to return in the future if they were more careful about it, or has that ship pretty much sailed for good?

So there's a good chance Hollywood will never see Beetlejuice ever?
Oh, definitely.

Yeah, when it comes to contracts, if something falls through on amicable terms like a emergency situation or in the case of Orlando and the Conjuring (stepped back to wait and see how the lawsuit made on the film went), then there's a chance the two parties can get back together and negotiate a new one.

But in the case of Beetlejuice and HW, that wasn't an amicable split. WB pulled the property because Uni HW voided the contract, so any chance of getting a new one is next to none. An that could be the case for H3, too.

Reactions: Clive
Yeah, when it comes to contracts, if something falls through on amicable terms like a emergency situation or in the case of Orlando and the Conjuring (stepped back to wait and see how the lawsuit made on the film went), then there's a chance the two parties can get back together and negotiate a new one.

But in the case of Beetlejuice and HW, that wasn't an amicable split. WB pulled the property because Uni HW voided the contract, so any chance of getting a new one is next to none. An that could be the case for H3, too.

Also, FWIW Warner Bros has stated that they intend to bring back Horror Made Here in 2022. I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility to think we could maybe it see there in some form.

I can't say I'm particularly excited for Halloween 4 again. I thought it was fine when they had it a few years ago, and even though H4 is one of my favorites in the series I'm curious how far along they were into Halloween III before changing it up. No doubt that facade will bum me out in person knowing what it could have been!

Oh shoot. So USH has potentially cooked the goose for good on any chance of IPs like Arkham Asylum, It, Conjuring, or even NoES and F13?

WOW. I would hate to be in the shoes of the person who made that boo-boo of a decision on the merch. Both management and creative must hate that person’s guts by now.

Last edited: