HHN Anniversary Years - What worked and what didn't? | Inside Universal Forums

HHN Anniversary Years - What worked and what didn't?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Aug 12, 2021
As I noted somewhere before, I’ve noticed a potential pattern in regards to the anniversary years cooked up at Halloween Horror Nights.

2006’s Sweet 16 was well liked by fans, and people liked seeing all the icons come together, though why they still included the Storyteller instead of the icon they actually created (Terra Queen) I have no idea. 2010 on the other hand was seen as an letdown, and I think (?) the consensus was it didn’t actually feel like an anniversary year, save the 20 years scarezone. And while I kind of like Fear, many would say he’s the worst icon.

2015 was seen as a return to form after 3 years of Walking Dead overload (which was only really an overload in 2013), and everybody loved the Carnage Returns show and it’s Jared Leto inspired revamp of Jack. 2021 was, well I don’t think it was agreed to be a failure but there were heavy criticisms, especially in regards to how the icons were handled (personally I think Icons Captured looked stupid).

So what gives? Was it the plexiglass that ruined 2021? Was 2006 the last time the Icons seemed a genuine threat? Or are we looking at a new HHN trend and it will be the next anniversary year (either 2025 or 2030) that will set things right? So what went right and wrong?

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
A few points.

1. They've gone to that well a few times so it doesn't feel as fresh, so anniversary years can feel repetitive.

2. I think 2010 was received fine? It was a mix of a lot of new content with nods to the past. They never really billed it as an anniversary year. It was originally supposed to be a closing chapter as new blood was coming into the event the next year and they wanted a proper goodbye to the Icons. Obviously, that didn't happen.

3. Jared Leto Jack? I think you missed that mark on that one.

4. 2021 was a mulligan due to the obvious external circumstances. Some had problems with the safety procedures, some didn't. There were also major casting issues. I also think there was an insane amount of hype due to pent-up demand and the hype never matched up to personal expectations. Last year had valid criticisms, but I try to not hold their feet to the fire about it due to everything going on.

A few points.

1. They've gone to that well a few times so it doesn't feel as fresh, so anniversary years can feel repetitive.

2. I think 2010 was received fine? It was a mix of a lot of new content with nods to the past. They never really billed it as an anniversary year. It was originally supposed to be a closing chapter as new blood was coming into the event the next year and they wanted a proper goodbye to the Icons. Obviously, that didn't happen.

3. Jared Leto Jack? I think you missed that mark on that one.

4. 2021 was a mulligan due to the obvious external circumstances. Some had problems with the safety procedures, some didn't. There were also major casting issues. I also think there was an insane amount of hype due to pent-up demand and the hype never matched up to personal expectations. Last year had valid criticisms, but I try to not hold their feet to the fire about it due to everything going on.

I can’t remember where but among other things I swear I saw on some forum there was a thread called “HHN XX- Why the Hate?” which leads to me believe it wasn’t received to well. The fact that they were serious about a “closing chapter” (regarding the Icons) seems silly to me. I love the lore but ultimately this is a theme park haunted event, not a series of movies. Of course they were going to come back.

About the Jared Leto comparison. I don’t remember when exactly they started advertising for suicide squad, but as it came out in 2016, I’m pretty sure they advertised early in 2015. I think Leto’s Joker wore a leather coat in that film, and the 25 Jack also wore a leather coat so it lead me to believe that the new Jack was inspired by the new Joker. That and their designs both looked dumb as rocks. They both most certainly had the same “vibe” I don’t know how to put it.

HHNXX was meant to be a closing chapter, which has not aged well given... the icons have continued to appear. The stated goal of that event was to introduce new stories, as well. Outside of HAVOC, which has appeared occasionally in other anniversary years, and Saws 'n' Steam (which became a house the next year), nothing really stuck. There were a handful of good experiences (the aforementioned two included), but FEAR disappointed in his mostly nonexistent execution.

HHN25 I think fared better after three years of lackluster Walking Dead installments. Jack being back felt like a breath of fresh air, even if they weren't doing anything particularly new with him. Again, not all the houses hit, but many were standouts, including the main anniversary house, Body Collectors, Insidious, and Freddy vs. Jason. The zones were hit or miss, but the overall had an identity that had been missing since 2021.

I can’t remember where but among other things I swear I saw on some forum there was a thread called “HHN XX- Why the Hate?” which leads to me believe it wasn’t received to well. The fact that they were serious about a “closing chapter” (regarding the Icons) seems silly to me. I love the lore but ultimately this is a theme park haunted event, not a series of movies. Of course they were going to come back.

About the Jared Leto comparison. I don’t remember when exactly they started advertising for suicide squad, but as it came out in 2016, I’m pretty sure they advertised early in 2015. I think Leto’s Joker wore a leather coat in that film, and the 25 Jack also wore a leather coat so it lead me to believe that the new Jack was inspired by the new Joker. That and their designs both looked dumb as rocks. They both most certainly had the same “vibe” I don’t know how to put it.

There’s real-time reviews of HHN20 on this forum. You can see for yourself how it was received.

As far as Leto, it was merely coincidental. It was meant to be the next evolution to his ringmaster look from HHN 17, with a more weathered and older Jack.

HHNXX was meant to be a closing chapter, which has not aged well given... the icons have continued to appear. The stated goal of that event was to introduce new stories, as well. Outside of HAVOC, which has appeared occasionally in other anniversary years, and Saws 'n' Steam (which became a house the next year), nothing really stuck. There were a handful of good experiences (the aforementioned two included), but FEAR disappointed in his mostly nonexistent execution.

HHN25 I think fared better after three years of lackluster Walking Dead installments. Jack being back felt like a breath of fresh air, even if they weren't doing anything particularly new with him. Again, not all the houses hit, but many were standouts, including the main anniversary house, Body Collectors, Insidious, and Freddy vs. Jason. The zones were hit or miss, but the overall had an identity that had been missing since 2021.
Part of me wonders if they tried to redo closing the book on the old Icons with Captured last year.

How well will that age? I guess we'll see in 2025!

Part of me wonders if they tried to redo closing the book on the old Icons with Captured last year.

How well will that age? I guess we'll see in 2025!

There were rumors that Icons Captured would end with the Icons being tortured by Fear, vines and all. With the final product simply being each icon on the throne, I say their story is neverending.

Technically XX did signal the end of the Icon era...and the next year cemented it...although 16 felt like a more proper send off for the original 4

Speaking of which, anniversary years didn't really take place until 16, and I'm not sure why they continue to acknowledge them in the way they do

I would argue that the vast majority of people started coming in the WD and ST years so I'm sure anniversary years are a bit of a headscratcher

Also, I say HHN 1.0 peaked somewhere 07-09, those days are over and we're now in the IP era, which I believe has yet to reach its full potential

In other words, the anniversary years seem kind of silly IMO

Technically XX did signal the end of the Icon era...and the next year cemented it...although 16 felt like a more proper send off for the original 4

Speaking of which, anniversary years didn't really take place until 16, and I'm not sure why they continue to acknowledge them in the way they do

I would argue that the vast majority of people started coming in the WD and ST years so I'm sure anniversary years are a bit of a headscratcher

Also, I say HHN 1.0 peaked somewhere 07-09, those days are over and we're now in the IP era, which I believe has yet to reach its full potential

In other words, the anniversary years seem kind of silly IMO

How did Sweet 16 feel more like a send off then XX?* XX had the whole (stupid) “they were all actually servants of Fear” plot twist. Also 21 had the icon Lady Luck.

I think anniversary years exist because of nostalgia and to show the new crowd the elements of the past.

I believe you mean it peaked in 2008. 2007 and (to a lesser extent) 2009 were IP years, albeit with Jack and Julian hosting.

* I think I sounded a little aggressive in this post, if you felt so too, sorry. Also Sweet 16 is more of a “culmination” of all the past elements coming together.

Last edited:
How did Sweet 16 feel more like a send off then XX? XX had the whole (stupid) “they were all actually servants of Fear” plot twist. Also 21 had the icon Lady Luck.

I think anniversary years exist because of nostalgia and to show the new crowd the elements of the past.

I believe you mean it peaked in 2008. 2007 and (to a lesser extent) 2009 were IP years, albeit with Jack and Julian hosting.

Just outta curiosity - when was your first year attending?

Reactions: SeventyOne

Yeah people forget 25 was the second year scare zones were back after the all TWD year. Everyone was counting their blessings.

In addition to some very good scare zones (IMHO) were also two very good shows. This was also the first year for Diagon open for HHN which added some spark to the event.

I think the only reason “anniversary” years continue to exist is because there’s marketability in the old icons. I don’t even think the overall number of people attending care about the icons, but there is a segment that will spend a lot MORE on the icons. Basically, the icons a more akin to Figment—they don’t want to over-saturate, but they do want to sell.

Beyond that, I think the whole anniversary thing is completely unnecessary, while also being a shrewd marketing strategy that reads new dans into the past. That allows the designers to reuse concepts and ideas, which makes their jobs a touch easier.

Just outta curiosity - when was your first year attending?

Wish I had the chance to. Came close in 2011, but otherwise can’t afford it. And admittedly some of the years (like 2013-2014 sans Michael Myers) sounded boring to me. Back then I dove myself into HHN from afar, watching tons of videos, and lurking the old HNN forum (which in retrospect was a mistake). I should probably go back to that so I can post my haunted house ideas in the Design a HHN thread.

I can get certain “vibes” (ex: I wish I experienced 2016’s Exorcist as it looked really cool, but something about Icons Captured always seemed lifeless to me, and I don’t think it was the plexiglass.) Plus with certain draws (AWIL and Poltergeist) I’m not a fan of the idea that I have to watch the source material first to get the house (or not get spoiled).

I think the only reason “anniversary” years continue to exist is because there’s marketability in the old icons. I don’t even think the overall number of people attending care about the icons, but there is a segment that will spend a lot MORE on the icons. Basically, the icons a more akin to Figment—they don’t want to over-saturate, but they do want to sell.

Beyond that, I think the whole anniversary thing is completely unnecessary, while also being a shrewd marketing strategy that reads new dans into the past. That allows the designers to reuse concepts and ideas, which makes their jobs a touch easier.

I don’t really get it, Figment has the excuse of being part of a ride that goes year round which itself sits on theme parks which are basically childhood nostalgia. Meanwhile not only do the Icons not really have that, but in some cases what’s with the Icons that we can’t get with characters like Joker or Voorhees.

Technically most anniversary events are useless and unneeded, but it doesn’t mean it’s not fun to revisit (or experience for the first time) past history sometimes. If the bolded part is true then it’s kinda redundant of them to use that as an excuse considering they reuse concepts even in normal years (like Body Collectors in 08, 2016’s Ghost Town, The caretaker almost being the icon for 2017).

Last edited:
How did Sweet 16 feel more like a send off then XX?* XX had the whole (stupid) “they were all actually servants of Fear” plot twist. Also 21 had the icon Lady Luck.

* I think I sounded a little aggressive in this post, if you felt so too, sorry. Also Sweet 16 is more of a “culmination” of all the past elements coming together.
To me 16 felt like a celebration of the previous years that came before, and also felt like a send off for the icons that reigned during the IOA years

The tagline for 16 was "horror comes home" and it felt very much like the event had come full circle. Old houses came back as well.

07 and 09 may have had IP, but they were integrated very much into the DNA of that year's event.

XX felt a bit redundant to me and yet tried a bit hard to introduce us to the "new era" of HHN, only to scrap it a year later and usher in (lol) the IP era

Yes Lady Luck does exist, but not in the same way that the other icons did. She's HHN's Captain Marvel if you will lol.

I do agree that the anniversary years exist as a nostalgia bone for the "uber fans" as we're labeled...but yet I can't help but feel a bit indifferent to it.

Then again, I'm really not the "OH LOOK THE THING I REMEMBER" type of person, the intertextuality stuff doesn't really work on me that well.

I again have to wonder if the current audience knew what the hell was happening with some of the houses last year.

To me 16 felt like a celebration of the previous years that came before, and also felt like a send off for the icons that reigned during the IOA years

The tagline for 16 was "horror comes home" and it felt very much like the event had come full circle. Old houses came back as well.

07 and 09 may have had IP, but they were integrated very much into the DNA of that year's event.

XX felt a bit redundant to me and yet tried a bit hard to introduce us to the "new era" of HHN, only to scrap it a year later and usher in (lol) the IP era

Yes Lady Luck does exist, but not in the same way that the other icons did. She's HHN's Captain Marvel if you will lol.

I do agree that the anniversary years exist as a nostalgia bone for the "uber fans" as we're labeled...but yet I can't help but feel a bit indifferent to it.

Then again, I'm really not the "OH LOOK THE THING I REMEMBER" type of person, the intertextuality stuff doesn't really work on me that well.

I again have to wonder if the current audience knew what the hell was happening with some of the houses last year.

Yeah I get that, it’s just that “send off” usually denotes to some sort of final showing, which didn’t really relate to how the icons were handled that year. It may a weird comparison but Sweet 16 bringing the Icons together is kinda like how the Avengers came together in 2012. Could you clarify more on the bolded part please?

I mean hey, technically the IP era WAS a new era, just not in the way fans hoped… 2011’s Lady Luck didn’t seem all that different from 2005’s scrapped Terra Queen. Both had no houses, no real backstory to them in general, no discernible personality. If Luck had a show the reception might have been different. And hey the commercial for Lady Luck was pretty good. So theres that plus.

They really should have done something like the history archive they had for 2006’s website. But like with actual videos for some of the past houses. I don’t know why they don’t do that, they have footage.

You really have to go to HHN to get a true understanding of which years “feel” right and which ones don’t. The problem with the online perception of the anniversary years is that reviews are either going to come from people who are disappointed because they’re super fans with sky-high expectations or from people who don’t get it and therefore don’t give any extra points for the nostalgia bait/references.

The reality is “retro” HHN/the “icon” years are held in high regard because they’re from a time when the event could be a little more edgy and was more unique in the market. That’s not something you can replicate by just having an anniversary year, and dredging up old themes doesn’t change that, even though super fans really want it to.

You really have to go to HHN to get a true understanding of which years “feel” right and which ones don’t. The problem with the online perception of the anniversary years is that reviews are either going to come from people who are disappointed because they’re super fans with sky-high expectations or from people who don’t get it and therefore don’t give any extra points for the nostalgia bait/references.

The reality is “retro” HHN/the “icon” years are held in high regard because they’re from a time when the event could be a little more edgy and was more unique in the market. That’s not something you can replicate by just having an anniversary year, and dredging up old themes doesn’t change that, even though super fans really want it to.

That speaks more for the event itself; that they failed to make the old material understandable to newcomers and show them what made it good in the first place.

The vast majority of newcomers don’t care about the past. Universal isn’t going to spend a ton of energy on the past when they can just placate the minority who cares.

Seeing as again anniversary years are technically unnecessary, it begs the question why they would even do these references to the past at all if they’re not going to put too much effort on them and the minority is well a minority.

Last edited:
Seeing as again anniversary years are technically unnecessary, it begs the question why they would even do these references to the past at all if they’re not going to put too much effort on them and the minority is well a minority.
Pareto Principle — 80% of your revenue comes from 20% of your customers.

Basically what everyone has already said, but with a fancy name so you know it’s legit. Granted, I don’t think 20% of HHN’s audience is diehard fans who care about the history, but they’ll still spend a lot for little effort on UO’s part.

Reactions: pumpkinbot343