Hollywood & Dine becoming Noodle House for Lunar New Year (2022) | Inside Universal Forums

Hollywood & Dine becoming Noodle House for Lunar New Year (2022)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
Universal Studios Hollywood is celebrating the Year of the Tiger as they have announced that Hollywood & Dine will temporarily become the specially-themed Noodle House for the Lunar New Year.

Reactions: Disneyhead
I always keep hoping that Universal figures out that one good way to get APs to spend money on repeat visits is to have specialty food items throughout the year. And extra entertainment doesn't hurt, either. Knott's certainly has that formula down, and look at the crowds it brings. Even SFMM does this for the holidays and summertime.

If each food location at Universal just did 1-2 unique food items, that'd be about 15-18 new items to choose from, and there's bound to be something people would want to try. It'd be great to see the culinary department really get some opportunities to experiment with some new items... a lot of the food at Universal feels semi-redundant (though gradually moving in the right direction with Minon's and Jurassic Cafe).

I always keep hoping that Universal figures out that one good way to get APs to spend money on repeat visits is to have specialty food items throughout the year. And extra entertainment doesn't hurt, either. Knott's certainly has that formula down, and look at the crowds it brings. Even SFMM does this for the holidays and summertime.

If each food location at Universal just did 1-2 unique food items, that'd be about 15-18 new items to choose from, and there's bound to be something people would want to try. It'd be great to see the culinary department really get some opportunities to experiment with some new items... a lot of the food at Universal feels semi-redundant (though gradually moving in the right direction with Minon's and Jurassic Cafe).
I hope they do more...like seeing Hunter X Hunter and Detective Conan getting full blown events or rides....and we get this.

I wish the teams here could make some fun events that drive people in, I know "the Pandemic" but Disneyland is over here doing events and getting crowds and while not getting many people at least Sea World is trying events to draw people in

Even things like this Spongebob event....just something with effort and is unique. Because as of now its all the same..Grinchmas with less every year...HNH i know people love but I didnt even bother going because it was repeat mazes and the same dance show they have every year....just they used to try more and now its just the same old events but with less.

I hope they do more...like seeing Hunter X Hunter and Detective Conan getting full blown events or rides....and we get this.

I wish the teams here could make some fun events that drive people in, I know "the Pandemic" but Disneyland is over here doing events and getting crowds and while not getting many people at least Sea World is trying events to draw people in

Even things like this Spongebob event....just something with effort and is unique. Because as of now its all the same..Grinchmas with less every year...HNH i know people love but I didnt even bother going because it was repeat mazes and the same dance show they have every year....just they used to try more and now its just the same old events but with less.
i hope that with SNW, Universal will start putting more into the park year-round. It seems weird to me that they are almost content with the extremely low attendance in the off-season with how little they're doing. Two empty spaces (TWDA and Castle Theater) which could likely be repurposed without the expense of a whole new attraction, a now-empty plaza... just odd to me

Reactions: Jerroddragon
i hope that with SNW, Universal will start putting more into the park year-round. It seems weird to me that they are almost content with the extremely low attendance in the off-season with how little they're doing. Two empty spaces (TWDA and Castle Theater) which could likely be repurposed without the expense of a whole new attraction, a now-empty plaza... just odd to me
I could be wrong but they should have a a free warehouse or two to throw some special event attraction up as well and make a few extra bucks.

While yes, I'd like more free events...if they do enough I'd pay to do extra events. But hell, they could literally have "special" shows in the Dream works theaters like bring Shrek back on weekend nights and that would cost almost nothing...then throw up a fake swamp in the middle area of the park and boom....an event people might show up to.
Just feels like the strategy is...either spend no money until Nintendo and see if that brings people in....or just spend nothing forever and not gain more people just make the money they are making now and be happy with that

Reactions: salismetho
I'm just an outsider. Never been to the Hollywood park, and don't really know much about it's visitation tendencies. But, damn, it seems their profit base must be really narrow since they always seem to be scrimping on just about everything. Is their per guest spending so low that their fairly high attendance is just reflective of a lot of Annual Pass Holders coming often but that don't spend much? Just curious as to why Universal seems so spendthrift with this park when they're not that way in Orlando.

I'm just an outsider. Never been to the Hollywood park, and don't really know much about it's visitation tendencies. But, damn, it seems their profit base must be really narrow since they always seem to be scrimping on just about everything. Is their per guest spending so low that their fairly high attendance is just reflective of a lot of Annual Pass Holders coming often but that don't spend much? Just curious as to why Universal seems so spendthrift with this park when they're not that way in Orlando.
I'd like to know as well but speaking for myself. I just went yesterday to see what would be up for this event and didn't buy a thing even if I went today it would be the same. Maybe more Merch will be put out but i didn't see much "new" to buy and for the food, the noodles are good (not great) but part of it was also being a My Ping's area and it was all themed and things to look out...now its just a normal restaurant

I'm sure AP buying things are low and so are front of the line passes but...both are because we don't have that may interesting events outside of HNH and the park is empty so why would you buy a FOTL pass now unless you were literally from out of state/county and didn't do basic research (you can download the App or fan ones and see wait times)

Like I said they must be waiting to spend money IF Nintendoland does well...but with one less ride and maybe no raids/games it has even less reason for people to buy the Nintendo bands and they will be all confused on why people aren't flocking in when they do the bare minimum. Like I really....and i mean really doubt even if this land opens end of this year that early next year will be busy, I'm sure weekends will have people but not weekdays...my guess is you will be walking on MK most of the off season until Spring break/summer

I'd like to know as well but speaking for myself. I just went yesterday to see what would be up for this event and didn't buy a thing even if I went today it would be the same. Maybe more Merch will be put out but i didn't see much "new" to buy and for the food, the noodles are good (not great) but part of it was also being a My Ping's area and it was all themed and things to look out...now its just a normal restaurant

I'm sure AP buying things are low and so are front of the line passes but...both are because we don't have that may interesting events outside of HNH and the park is empty so why would you buy a FOTL pass now unless you were literally from out of state/county and didn't do basic research (you can download the App or fan ones and see wait times)

Like I said they must be waiting to spend money IF Nintendoland does well...but with one less ride and maybe no raids/games it has even less reason for people to buy the Nintendo bands and they will be all confused on why people aren't flocking in when they do the bare minimum. Like I really....and i mean really doubt even if this land opens end of this year that early next year will be busy, I'm sure weekends will have people but not weekdays...my guess is you will be walking on MK most of the off season until Spring break/summer
Wasn’t their some long term master plan announced for this park awhile back.

Maybe I’m getting confused with certain posters hinting at some big plans for the future of USH.

With C19 I’m guessing those projects might be in flux ?

Wasn’t their some long term master plan announced for this park awhile back.

Maybe I’m getting confused with certain posters hinting at some big plans for the future of USH.

With C19 I’m guessing those projects might be in flux ?
From hear I kept hearing they were ramping up for the LA Olympics but that plan must be very much downgraded.

While we got SLOP last year...that was suppose to be a 2019 ride.....2019. We won't get MK until late this year, no construction going on anywhere else in the park. So 2023 is either going to have a very small attraction, retheming one of the Simulators/the 3D show, or adding a show to the special effects stage. So we won't see another big ride until 2024 at the earliest/ So in theory they could ramp up and give us 3 Big rides after Mario Kart but considering rumors of DK (which I think is a D ticket but correct me if im wrong) meaning we will most likely see like only two E tickets and maybe two D tickets before then and I'd bet one of those D tickets is a VR ride.

I wonder, if it weren't for COVID, where we'd be right now. Obv no way to know for sure, but I assume we'd have had SNW done or practically completed, development beginning to take place on the soundstages next to Mummy, and ramped up efforts to put the park in the public eye (something that they seem to hardly attempt except for HHN)

Also surprised they didn't make any announcement for digital passes, try to make electric trams a bigger thing, or do larger scale ads for the JW update. Just feels like whatever drive and momentum the park was building up two years ago has completely burned out. Could be related to layoffs but who knows. When you look at the mentality in Florida, where they are trying to do as much as possible as quickly as possible, saying one of their pandemic regrets was halting construction on EU, and then come back to Hollywood. Maybe I'm just overly complaining or repeating myself at this point and getting wayyy off topic lol

From hear I kept hearing they were ramping up for the LA Olympics but that plan must be very much downgraded.

While we got SLOP last year...that was suppose to be a 2019 ride.....2019. We won't get MK until late this year, no construction going on anywhere else in the park. So 2023 is either going to have a very small attraction, retheming one of the Simulators/the 3D show, or adding a show to the special effects stage. So we won't see another big ride until 2024 at the earliest/ So in theory they could ramp up and give us 3 Big rides after Mario Kart but considering rumors of DK (which I think is a D ticket but correct me if im wrong) meaning we will most likely see like only two E tickets and maybe two D tickets before then and I'd bet one of those D tickets is a VR ride.
Yea I understand your frustrations. Hopefully they start re-investing in the park in bigger quantities like they were planning to I assume.

Being space limited doesn’t help the situation considering any sizable expansion will require a lot of moving pieces.

The park is never going to get the numbers it was enjoying pre-pandemic until international tourism reliably returns. It's really as simple as that. There's no expanded Lunar New Year because the current numbers don't justify the expense.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
The park is never going to get the numbers it was enjoying pre-pandemic until international tourism reliably returns. It's really as simple as that. There's no expanded Lunar New Year because the current numbers don't justify the expense.
Or refocus the Park to get AP's in there. Disneyland and Six Flags both seem to be healthy. You have to spend money to make money, to just ignore the people you have coming in to me seems like a losing strategy. Once again, I come to the park and don't spend money because what am I suppose to be buying?

They have no free sound stages? They have the special effects stage and instead of trying new entertainment

Dinosaur Days to celebrate the new Jurassic Park, some sort of Sherk Themed event...sure its not "a new IP" but they can do something fun in the Plza and bring Shrek back on weekend nights to draw people in, a Simpsons themed event, Harry Potter themed event, bring back SlaughterWorld this summer for something to stay for at night, a Back to the Future Reunion (pay extra but I'd pay for this) have a show in the Special effects and have guests from the films appear and have a special tour all about BTF in the New York sets and use Projection mapping to make the clock tower get hit by lightening, some sort of Good place event or the Office.

I'll drop it but the point is, the head people at USH have no imagination or drive. It sucks seeing a park that could be so much more just....empty because they can't get international travels. As if Six Flags, Knotts and Disneyland are as empty

Lol

Of course everyone does but I'd rather more lines sometimes if it means more events and rides

for sure, i’d like it all to be more on par with orlando too.

unrelated but having gone to orlando recently, i’m impressed with how much better maintained hollywood is and i have a new found appreciation for it.

just give us hagrids with the same or new IP (maybe jurassic world like we’re biking around like chris pratt’s character or something).

Last edited:
Lunar New Year is back again at Universal Studios Hollywood to celebrate the “Year of the Tiger.”

Lunar New Year is back again at Universal Studios Hollywood to celebrate the “Year of the Tiger.”

There's a new staff member? I can't find the thread, but I remember you were looking for one or two new members to cover USH and were supposed to formally introduce them shortly after selecting them unless I missed it. So, no more Sydney?

There's a new staff member? I can't find the thread, but I remember you were looking for one or two new members to cover USH and were supposed to formally introduce them shortly after selecting them unless I missed it. So, no more Sydney?

We were ready to, and then Omicron hit - so we held off. But yes - Akane is our new Editor. Sydney is still around, just a bit more occupied these days.