Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Hollywoodland future/replacement (DCA)

Oct 10, 2021
RVA
With Disneyland Forward likely to get the green light, one of the first areas to likely bear fruit from it could be a Hollywoodland revamp. What are some concepts you would like to see replace this much maligned remaining area of DCA 1.0?

The Great Movie Ride for all the animated movies that aren't popular enough to get their own rides.

The pretense: the whole land gets converted into Walt Disney Animation Studios, complete with a small replica of the company entrance with the Sorcerer Hat. It's a great excuse to use the flex space concept and build something into the converted warehouse/industrial building aesthetic Imagineering has grown fond of.

Inexpicably instead of containing franchises that don't warrant their own rides, the ride will contain scenes from The Lion King, Mulan, Encanto, Frozen, and Moana. Many will rightfully be upset that Disney has loosely grafted these concepts together into an incoherent ride with scenes that don't fully honor the potential of each film. However everyone will undoubtedly agree that the seven animatronics are quite good, and the projection mapping, while excessive, improves significantly upon the instantaneous transformation effect first displayed in Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway.

Overall, the ride is a successful, albeit somewhat uninspired, high-tech recreation of those Main Street diaromas. Alongside Philharmagic, the Animation Showcase, and the theater, it also manages to loosely tie the area together under a single animation theme.

I still don't get why they didn't do Runaway Railway in Hollywoodland and save Toontown for future expansion. DCA still needs more rides and Disneyland just got Galaxy's Edge they don't need more capacity over there.

I'd like to see them expand into the bus lanes, and bring some new IP in here from the 20th Century Studios acquisition. Alien, Ice Age, Avatar, Die Hard, Night at the Museum, etc.

The park needs a high-capacity family coaster, and something between the current two coasters in terms of intensity. I would look to Studio Tour at Movie Park Germany for inspiration, myself.

I'd like to see them expand into the bus lanes, and bring some new IP in here from the 20th Century Studios acquisition. Alien, Ice Age, Avatar, Die Hard, Night at the Museum, etc.

The park needs a high-capacity family coaster, and something between the current two coasters in terms of intensity. I would look to Studio Tour at Movie Park Germany for inspiration, myself.
From what I have read on the WDW park forums, 20th Century properties are way down on the list of IP to be used in Disney Parks. If I was in Imagineering what i would do a Disney Animation Studios land proper with no Pixar. Demo the Philarmagic theatre and build a black box theater in the same vain of the DreamWorks theatre at USH where it could show short films based on WDAS films but maybe in a 40's-50's animation style through projection mapping. The E ticket which would replace Monsters Inc and expand into the back lot could be an interactive trackless ride where you team up with Mickey and fight all the major Disney villains.

The Great Movie Ride for all the animated movies that aren't popular enough to get their own rides.

The pretense: the whole land gets converted into Walt Disney Animation Studios, complete with a small replica of the company entrance with the Sorcerer Hat. It's a great excuse to use the flex space concept and build something into the converted warehouse/industrial building aesthetic Imagineering has grown fond of.

Inexpicably instead of containing franchises that don't warrant their own rides, the ride will contain scenes from The Lion King, Mulan, Encanto, Frozen, and Moana. Many will rightfully be upset that Disney has loosely grafted these concepts together into an incoherent ride with scenes that don't fully honor the potential of each film. However everyone will undoubtedly agree that the seven animatronics are quite good, and the projection mapping, while excessive, improves significantly upon the instantaneous transformation effect first displayed in Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway.

Overall, the ride is a successful, albeit somewhat uninspired, high-tech recreation of those Main Street diaromas. Alongside Philharmagic, the Animation Showcase, and the theater, it also manages to loosely tie the area together under a single animation theme.
Dude, I LOVE this idea for a dark ride! It could probably something within the realm of Mystic Manor and help balance out the trackless dark ride ratio between the parks.

My grand vision for the area consisted of tearing down the Hyperion theater to let Avengers Campus have room for a new E-ticket in that spot, and use the Animation Courtyard building as a replacement for the live stage show venue, use the PhilharMagic spot as a Dream Works Theater-esque show that someone else proposed, and use the Monsters Inc/Millionaire plot for a new E-ticket…preferably for a GMR-style dark ride. That would really sting for WDW fans though.

I agree the park desperately needs a high-capacity family coaster, but someone mentioned on the Avengers E-ticket thread that there’s a possibility that they may scrap the simulator concept and replace it with an Omni-coaster themed to the Avengers. They’re allegedly seeing how Cosmic Rewind fares with the masses, so there’s a possibility that void may be filled in Avengers Campus.

But yeah, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the theme of the area itself, it just needs a little love. I’m sure Disney will want to keep it anyway due to the theme being flexible for promoting new IPs and character meet and greets.

Sorry for the double post here, but doing a little armchair Imagineering here:

Basically an improved version of the Studio Tour coaster concept from Movie Park Germany, but using the Muppets. Would make a perfect family coaster.

Another though. Instead of a black box theater attraction like the DWT, Disney could do their own take on the moving walkthrough attraction depending on how well the reception for Minions Villain Con is by the public. It could be Fantasia themed and you have a wireless wand where you fire off at targets. This would go where Sunset Showcase is now by demoing it. But I think all Hollywood Land will be demoed when its time comes.

I think maybe some sort of "movies" theme would be best for them

This allows them to add literally anything they want...including more Marvel.

They could even go all out....if they really wanted to make DCA a real second park and give it a Frozen ride/area. Maybe finally update grade the Monsters ride to be the one with lights on it. I would also be down for them to add a Pixar ride that maybe goes through different films that maybe can't get a ride on their own but would make sense for a scene or two, like Soul. Kinda like Dreamworks theater meets the great movie ride for Pixar. I imagine Flick as one of the characters in the Q who helped invent the ride so also a way to bring the Bugs Life Characters back

Had an idea here that I wanted to share on here. If they can ever resurrect Eastern Gateway, I think it would also be a great way to bring Coco and Encanto over here to DCA. It would add some family dark rides that the park could really use over here. Even better, they could also fit into a South American themed land which would tie into the Hispanic culture of California.....bringing back an (albeit broad) overall theme to DCA! Win-win!

But there's also something else that I think the park could really use: a family indoor coaster. You know what underutilized IP would fit in such an area? The Emperor's New Groove. There is a scene in the movie with a literal roller coaster in there. Now who wouldn't want an indoor coaster themed to Ezma's coaster to her lab?

Had an idea here that I wanted to share on here. If they can ever resurrect Eastern Gateway, I think it would also be a great way to bring Coco and Encanto over here to DCA. It would add some family dark rides that the park could really use over here. Even better, they could also fit into a South American themed land which would tie into the Hispanic culture of California.....bringing back an (albeit broad) overall theme to DCA! Win-win!

But there's also something else that I think the park could really use: a family indoor coaster. You know what underutilized IP would fit in such an area? The Emperor's New Groove. There is a scene in the movie with a literal roller coaster in there. Now who wouldn't want an indoor coaster themed to Ezma's coaster to her lab?
I would assume that if Encanto and Coco were to come to DLR they would go in the DL Forward expansion plot in the Simba lot, but HL could work as well assuming it doesn't go to Avatar or some other IP. If an Avatar land doesn't come to DLR, Coco would be a great opportunity to port the FLOP ride system to DLR.

Coco was inspired by the Mexican holiday Día de Muertos... México is in North America.

Since at least as of right now since the DCA side of Disneyland Forward does not appear to have much indoor family rides, IMO Hollywood land should become an area themed to Walt Disney Animation Studios. Have something like Midway Mania takeover the Sunset Showcase theater and part of stage 17 and have Monsters Inc and the current transportation hub become a large scale trackless ride on par with MMRR themed around the princesses. This land could and should take advantage of those glasses free VR patents. Disney is also working on black box attractions that can swap out IP and allow for attraction refreshes. This would be an ideal land to use that as well.

Another option for a Hollywoodland replacement some YouTubers like OG55 have speculated on is somehow expanding Avengers Campus into HL. Bring back rogers or some other show in the Hyperion and have the land from there wrap around into HL. With the MCU likely to undergo a reboot with SW, maybe they could expand the land keeping the campus theme and integrating elements of the MCU post SW. Have rides more catch all in theme like the Multiverse E ticket that can be updated over time and you're good to go.