E.T. Adventure General Discussion | Page 59 | Inside Universal Forums
  • Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The other day I thought of something crazy. What are the chances that, at this rate, Universal is just waiting for Spielberg to die so they can finally get rid of ET? Nothing wrong with the ride in my opinion, I just have the feeling that USF wants to tear it down but doesn't want to incur his wrath.

The other day I thought of something crazy. What are the chances that, at this rate, Universal is just waiting for Spielberg to die so they can finally get rid of ET? Nothing wrong with the ride in my opinion, I just have the feeling that USF wants to tear it down but doesn't want to incur his wrath.
Rumors of Spielberg’s wrath on the matter have been exaggerated.

And we know many in management currently actually like the ET attraction. They don’t plan to get rid of it in the near term, because there are so many other things that need replacing first—AND, they have an imbalance of screen attractions in the park, which means they’re probably more likely to axe a screen attraction next over a physical one.

I think that that would be very callous of them to do, frankly. This is someone that Universal respects immensely because his movies are often associated with them, and because they made them lots and lots of money. To be waiting for him to pass so they can say, “oh, sad...anyway!”, does not add up for me.

On top of that, I’m sure that, if his wish truly is that E.T. not be replaced (which may not be so, as Alicia says), his family would put a stop to it, and if not them, either personnel from Amblin or the likes of Kathleen Kennedy would have something to say.

I think that that would be very callous of them to do, frankly. This is someone that Universal respects immensely because his movies are often associated with them, and because they made them lots and lots of money. To be waiting for him to pass so they can say, “oh, sad...anyway!”, does not add up for me.

On top of that, I’m sure that, if his wish truly is that E.T. not be replaced (which may not be so, as Alicia says), his family would put a stop to it, and if not them, either personnel from Amblin or the likes of Kathleen Kennedy would have something to say.
With all due respect but if it isn't on a written agreement (and I expect it isn't) Universal can do whatever they need to do. Universal Studio Parks aren't Disney, they change. No familie member can do anything about that and Kathleen Kennedy, well she probably cares as much about ET as she does about Star Wars, not much looking at the result, and she is on the mouse side so there is no reason she would be able to do anything.
Expect is to go, sometimes in the future, unless you ride it as much as I do and give it high praise and buy a souvenir or to of the ip.

With all due respect but if it isn't on a written agreement (and I expect it isn't) Universal can do whatever they need to do. Universal Studio Parks aren't Disney, they change. No familie member can do anything about that and Kathleen Kennedy, well she probably cares as much about ET as she does about Star Wars, not much looking at the result, and she is on the mouse side so there is no reason she would be able to do anything.
Expect is to go, sometimes in the future, unless you ride it as much as I do and give it high praise and buy a souvenir or to of the ip.

While true it's also not in your best interests to possibly alienate a major adviser and advocate for the parks (Spielberg) even if it's just for a little bit/just makes him a little sad not full of rage.

While true it's also not in your best interests to possibly alienate a major adviser and advocate for the parks (Spielberg) even if it's just for a little bit/just makes him a little sad not full of rage.
Never mind advocate, he gets a percentage of the gate, and has a contractual clause that lets him demand a balloon lump sum if he wants to cash out. Not someone to piss off.

What does Spielberg the past years for Universal Studios theme parks? Does anyone know as I am very interested. He's never at a presentation for a new ride or even Epic Universe...

Reactions: Coolbfitz
What does Spielberg the past years for Universal Studios theme parks? Does anyone know as I am very interested. He's never at a presentation for a new ride or even Epic Universe...
Like any other consultant, I'd imagine he's probably kept in the loop and asked his opinion.

We're talking here about a guy who makes them stip the Jurassic Park ride and let him off before the drop. He's an ild man, theme parks probably aren't his thing.

Like any other consultant, I'd imagine he's probably kept in the loop and asked his opinion.

We're talking here about a guy who makes them stip the Jurassic Park ride and let him off before the drop. He's an ild man, theme parks probably aren't his thing.
He was extremely involved in the Orlando parks for the first 10-12 years. I’m guessing not so much since the Potter era started.

Ive heard he still gets like 5% of the door for the parks. Is that number true? That can’t be true, can it?

He was extremely involved in the Orlando parks for the first 10-12 years. I’m guessing not so much since the Potter era started.

Ive heard he still gets like 5% of the door for the parks. Is that number true? That can’t be true, can it?
I found the deal once, I think it is 2% but will need to check again

Here is one

Last edited:
I think the days of Spielberg's general consultation are kind of over. If it's a property that he's been involved with as a filmmaker (like TRANSFORMERS most recently), it appears he takes an interest in the project (he showed up in Orlando for the opening of USF's Transformers ride).

I get the sense that IOA's formation is the last time he was involved in an all-encompassing way.

I think the days of Spielberg's general consultation are kind of over. If it's a property that he's been involved with as a filmmaker (like TRANSFORMERS most recently), it appears he takes an interest in the project (he showed up in Orlando for the opening of USF's Transformers ride).

I get the sense that IOA's formation is the last time he was involved in an all-encompassing way.
His consultancy is for rides and attractions based on his movies. Still gets 2 percent of the gate though. I thought there was a merch angle too but might be separate.

His consultancy is for rides and attractions based on his movies. Still gets 2 percent of the gate though. I thought there was a merch angle too but might be separate.
For development of USF in late 1980s and IOA through mid 90s I think he technically helped out with pretty much all of it. But of course he worked more closely on things with his name attached, (ET, JAWS, BttF, Fievel, JP, MiB, etc etc).