The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I mean honestly, if I’m Apple, I take a serious look at buying Lionsgate as a whole.

Honestrly, when looking at Apple and who they could try..Lionsgate seems like a really good choice.

You have franchises like the Wick universe, Hunger Games, the Saw Franchise, and more specifically the stuff like Rian Johnson's sequel to Knives Out (and any other film that may come from that, if it's a success).

Still release the films internationally, as being done with the Paramount/Scorsesse film, but there is a lot of incentive to it.

Reactions: Nick
Honestrly, when looking at Apple and who they could try..Lionsgate seems like a really good choice.

You have franchises like the Wick universe, Hunger Games, the Saw Franchise, and more specifically the stuff like Rian Johnson's sequel to Knives Out (and any other film that may come from that, if it's a success).

Still release the films internationally, as being done with the Paramount/Scorsesse film, but there is a lot of incentive to it.
The John Wick Universe has so many potential avenues for spinoffs, too. We already know about the planned "Continental" TV Show and "Ballerina" Spin-off. That's just the tip of the iceberg of where you can go with this franchise because of the incredible Universe they've created.

And that's honestly not even mentioning what could be done with Hunger Games.

As bleak as it could be, Panem has a lot of interesting areas that they can go into. And as someone who reàd the books and movies, I have had a want to see more of the universe.

Putting it on Apple TV+ could allow them to go more intense in what may come out of it, and may allow a new lens to be taken.

Reactions: Nick
Having read the newest book already, I feel this book is a theatrical experience/ needs to be a theatrical experience. Some things just aren’t given that impact on your phone or tv. If this does come to pass I hope this is given the effort it deserves because this book deserves it 100%

Reactions: SeventyOne
Within the internal ranks of Lionsgate, an Amazon acquisition has been anticipated for two to three years now. But, as I've said, the price hasn't been right, up to this point in time. The majority owners seem to think it's time to cash in and move on. Getting a buy is another story.

Within the internal ranks of Lionsgate, an Amazon acquisition has been anticipated for two to three years now. But, as I've said, the price hasn't been right, up to this point in time. The majority owners seem to think it's time to cash in and move on. Getting a buy is another story.
Lionsgate is really the only major studio left. There's some others (MGM) but Lionsgate would go for far cheaper. The bonus is that many of Lionsgate's streaming contracts are through Starz which is a division of Lionsgate.

Finished the book. Pretty easily the best since the first. As with the others, a thrilling read, the story moves, chapters end on fun cliff-hangers, and the characters and locations are well-drawn.

Minor spoilers but mostly nothing that won't be revealed in the inevitable movie trailer:

It covers yet another Hunger Games, but this one feels much different -- if the others we've read about were Super Bowls, this is an NFL Championship Game with leather helmets. The differences made it feel fresh. There's some new world-building, too, but not so much that it overwhelms the story.

The author learned from Mockinjay -- it's obvious this is meant to be split into two movies, each with its own story arc. That said, the first movie is the better one. Investment in the characters carried me thru the final third of the book, but the screenwriter and director are going to have their work cut out for them padding that story to 2 hours without it feeling like obvious padding.

And, in an abundance of caution, potentially more potent spoilers about the book as a whole, but none of the surprise plot twists, nothing that will really impact your enjoyment reading it:

This isn't Wicked/Mysts of Avalon/Maleficent. Snow isn't a misunderstood hero, he's sympathetic at times but clearly a bad guy from the start, and this is his journey toward super-villain status. But because the story is from his POV, he doesn't see himself that way -- we see his (twisted) motivation and self-justification. He's so well-written you go along with it, even root for him at times, but he's never not the total bastard we see in the original trilogy.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
Finished the book. Pretty easily the best since the first. As with the others, a thrilling read, the story moves, chapters end on fun cliff-hangers, and the characters and locations are well-drawn.

Minor spoilers but mostly nothing that won't be revealed in the inevitable movie trailer:

It covers yet another Hunger Games, but this one feels much different -- if the others we've read about were Super Bowls, this is an NFL Championship Game with leather helmets. The differences made it feel fresh. There's some new world-building, too, but not so much that it overwhelms the story.

The author learned from Mockinjay -- it's obvious this is meant to be split into two movies, each with its own story arc. That said, the first movie is the better one. Investment in the characters carried me thru the final third of the book, but the screenwriter and director are going to have their work cut out for them padding that story to 2 hours without it feeling like obvious padding.

And, in an abundance of caution, potentially more potent spoilers about the book as a whole, but none of the surprise plot twists, nothing that will really impact your enjoyment reading it:

This isn't Wicked/Mysts of Avalon/Maleficent. Snow isn't a misunderstood hero, he's sympathetic at times but clearly a bad guy from the start, and this is his journey toward super-villain status. But because the story is from his POV, he doesn't see himself that way -- we see his (twisted) motivation and self-justification. He's so well-written you go along with it, even root for him at times, but he's never not the total bastard we see in the original trilogy.
I know they have to.....but man the second movie is going to suck compared to the first.

Just soooooo much more happens in the first half and feels much more exciting the second half feels like a summer vacation...some stiff happens but just can't live up to the first half when its characters i care about much more.

The first half of the book to me might be my favorite but as a whole I think Catching Fire is better (to me this book does everything a good sequel should).
I think Snow and his story is interesting, the games are interesting because of how different they feel compared to what we saw in the other books, Lucy Gray is a great character and can't wait to see who plays her (someone newish to acting I hope...not some big star), Overall they made me feel symbiotic to a pretty selfish guy so think the book is pretty great for that and I would not mind more story's in this world.

Lionsgate has officially announced, that they have greenlit the prequel to The Hunger Games. Titled The Hunger Games: The Ballads of Songbirds and Snakes, the film will directly adapt the book of the same name.

And the protagonist--is President Snow.

Releasing on November 17th, 2023, the new film will see the return of Francis Lawrence to direct; alongside Suzanne Collins [the author] and Michael Arndt [one of the writers of Catching Fire's adaptation]. The film has begun production, and was announced at Cinemacon.

Last edited:
Just one movie? Thank god, I thought they were going to split it up and thank god they didn't

First half to me is really good, second half is im sure to many more interesting for Snow character but found it not as engaging story wise

Reactions: Nico
I got this book for my mom over Christmas. She finished it a few months ago and said it was good and she also found it surprisingly dark.

I got this book for my mom over Christmas. She finished it a few months ago and said it was good and she also found it surprisingly dark.

Enjoyed it more than the originals (and I really liked the first two). Definitely dark. Not a real spoiler but
It's an origin story for President Snow, but unlike Disney/Mysts of Avalon/countless other prequels, he's not a misunderstood hero. He's a straight-up villain who happens to be the hero in his own story.
It made a far more interesting read than I expected.

Just one movie? Thank god, I thought they were going to split it up and thank god they didn't

First half to me is really good, second half is im sure to many more interesting for Snow character but found it not as engaging story wise

Odd because that mid-story cut screams "this is the split between movie 1 and movie 2!!!" Almost two books in one.

Reactions: Nico
Enjoyed it more than the originals (and I really liked the first two). Definitely dark. Not a real spoiler but
It's an origin story for President Snow, but unlike Disney/Mysts of Avalon/countless other prequels, he's not a misunderstood hero. He's a straight-up villain who happens to be the hero in his own story.
It made a far more interesting read than I expected.

Odd because that mid-story cut screams "this is the split between movie 1 and movie 2!!!" Almost two books in one.
But to me part 2...is just much much slower

Movie wise its weird to have the bigger moments in movie one and movie 2 is all character development

First Trailer, looks pretty good about what I was expecting

Who knew President Snow was so fine back then :love:

All in all I'm actually quite excited about this, we obviously know the formula, but some stories from before the originals is a neat idea

Was hoping they'd go back a bit more and show how the nation fell and how the Capitol took charge

Looks pretty solid, still extremely surprised this isn’t being split into two movies though as the book essentially made it easy to do and seemed almost purposeful so that multiple movies could be made.