Hypothetical HHN-film turned house: an IP or original? | Inside Universal Forums

Hypothetical HHN-film turned house: an IP or original?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What do you think?

• IP

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • Original

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
Apr 4, 2020
Hello there! A question I've debated fellow fans on, none of us ever really coming to a final answer, so I figured I'd bring it here as well!

Let's say that one day, Universal decided to make an HHN movie, whether that be based on an Icon(s), one of the original houses, or a new story set in the HHN universe, and then brought it to the event as a house or zone. At that point, would it be classified as an IP or an original? I know it's a silly question, but it's irked my mind for quite a while now.

You could definitely make the distinction that the HHN movie house would likely have similar freedom of design as the UCM houses, After Hours Nightmare, or Penn and Teller where it's largely an original house with IP elements, as opposed to more book-report-y houses like Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice, or Halloween. Design-wise, it's a lot more of a spectrum than a binary.

However, in practice and in legal terms, it would act like the first three examples, in that they are all treated as IP.

Reactions: HHN Maddux
Honestly I think it would be cool if they did an HHN TV series following Legendary Truth rather than a movie, or at least alongside a film. Make it an X-Files/Fringe/Evil (Paramount) type show. It would be so cool!

X Files GIF by The X-Files

Would an HHN movie just use the event as a backdrop, similar to Hell Fest (2018), or would the movie be more about the lore of the event?

I know this is pure whimsy, and not based on any sort of financial analysis, so I’m sure Universal would ignore my input here.

I’m just saying they could make an 90 minute commercial for the event and cross-promote it with Peacock as a horror movie. I’d do a basic premise. Jack vs The Scream Squad. They get chased through various locations around the park, including some of their best haunts.

Since it’s just a movie, it wouldn’t be hard to just build the whole thing in a soundstage as a best-of house and just use the rooms in the movie.